Ban on Trans Fats in Eateries?

Floh

Former Member
Reaction score
When it's dangerous, it seems like it's the right thing to do.

Three years after the city banned smoking in restaurants, health officials are talking about prohibiting something they say is almost as bad: artificial trans fatty acids.

The city health department unveiled a proposal Tuesday that would bar cooks at any of the city's 24,600 food service establishments from using ingredients that contain the artery-clogging substance, commonly listed on food labels as partially hydrogenated oil.

Artificial trans fats are found in some shortenings, margarine and frying oils and turn up in foods from pie crusts to french fries to doughnuts.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2006-09-26-18-13-07

Well, I agree trans fats aren't good but the health police are trying to get everything...

Leave my pie and fries alone. :cool:

Lynie

I think banning trans fats is a good idea. If not banning them then all foods that have them should have the fact clearly displayed . Trans fats are unnnecesary and costing the community heaps in medical terms.Food can taste good without them.

Oh, by the way, Hello Floh.:blowkiss:

Hey Kazzbar! :)

when the trans fats can be replaced by something not detrimental to health, it astounds me something hasn't already been done!

apparently Denmark did:

McDonald's began using a trans fat-free cooking oil in Denmark after that country banned artificial trans fats in processed food, but it has yet to do so in the United States.

i do understand people prefer not to have government intruding on their lives, however, IMO, trans fats are poison and shouldn't be ingested. :)

it's just the cheap way for companies to use it, when better things are available. profit is all. :furious:

Floh said:
Hey Kazzbar! :)

when the trans fats can be replaced by something not detrimental to health, it astounds me something hasn't already been done!

apparently Denmark did:

McDonald's began using a trans fat-free cooking oil in Denmark after that country banned artificial trans fats in processed food, but it has yet to do so in the United States.

i do understand people prefer not to have government intruding on their lives, however, IMO, trans fats are poison and shouldn't be ingested. :)

it's just the cheap way for companies to use it, when better things are available. profit is all. :furious:
I agree. they changed the oil used in Macca's fries here a while ago. Think they now cook them in Canola.Tastes o.k. to me? Is Canola o.k? EEk!I too do not want Gov in every aspect of our lives but if something we are ingesting is poisonous then it has to be legislated against.

ok, I htink htis has gone too far now. we inch closer to being communist everyday. what's next, taking away our cars b/c they cause accidents? How about banning peanuts from restaraunts b/c of allergies?

I don't like where this is headed. Have you ever seen the movie Demolition Man with Sylvester Stallone and Sandra Bullock? It was set in the future and every food that was bad for you was deemed illegal, including salt.

The smoking ban was one thing. I applaud that. It made sense because of second-hand smoke, but I'm not going to clog my arteries by sitting next to someone eating french fries.

But...playing devil's advocate to myself, I'm sure if you switched frying oils on consumers to a healthier alternative they would hardly notice the difference...except for the price. Most restaurants use these synthetic oils because they are inexpensive and they generally do not care about your health or well-being.

GOOD!! it's about time. this artificial substance was invented in order for processed foos companies to make the most profits possible, at the expense of our health. and it's the CITY of new york (i.e., the people... ourselves) taking a stand against the corporate reign of the food industry. for those who think it's a "slippery slope".. don't you think the "slippery slope" has already happened, the OTHER way?? look how so much of our society is just programmed to accept eating whatever is put in front of them without questioning it-- fast food, junk food, soft drinks-- just because it appeals to their most basic sense of what "tastes good" (fat/fried, sugar, salt)... but is devoid of nutrition.

the main thing that is ALREADY making the USA something like a communist nation the CORPORATOCRACY that our country is already turning into. the majority of people obvously don't care enough to question what they eat or the effect it will have on their health (look at how many morbidly obese people we have now- including children). so, thank god one city's government is stepping in to prohibit the manufacturers of this junk from peddling their stuff in THEIR town. after all, isn't that what we elect our leaders to do? protect us?? we are already facing a health crisis of epic proportions that our health care system will not be bale to handle in the future. so maybe this is a small step in preventing some of that.
just think about how soda companies went to schools & basically bribed them, offering them money if they could put their junk in the school. when i was in school in the 70's-80's, we didn't have vending machines- and guess what, we survived withouth having to stuff our faces every 30 minutes! for those of you who think the hydo-oil ban is wrong,, aren't you glad that now some schools are taking a stand against these junk food companies, who have essentially bullied the schools into letting them come in there? think about the fast food companies bullying their way into the cafeterias. is that really what you want for your kids? i for one can't believe there was not more media coverage and outrage about this whole issue!

in the meantime, it's really easy to read labels. if you care, the information is there in plain english. i won't touch anything with that hydro oils in it, ever since i read the truth about it years ago. people may say it's hype, but just reading about then & the way they are produced- it doesn't sound good to me at all. and most food with that stuff in it,, you can tell -it just tastes bad. the scary thing is.. it's in almost EVERYTHING now that is processed-- even 'healthy' breakfast cereals!! i won't buy anything with that in it. i choose another brand, make the stuff at home, or just do without. which basically means cutting out most processed foods from your diet, which is something we should be doing anyway. once you start, it's REALLY not that hard! i would rather go to the farmer's markets and health food stores anyway.

in short,, i do hope the ban passes, it's long overdue... and hopefully it will pass everywhere else too. believe me,, we CAN (and should!!) live without it. we ain't gonna starve.

I know mcdonalds is gross and bad for me, i don't need the government to tell me that and if you don't already know this then you have probelms. The problem isn't in the oils and fats its in the quantity that we eat then in. if you want to eat burger king 3 times a day then go right ahead, I won't stop you. I agree, it is bad for you but jeez, when do we draw the line. in essense the governemt is telling you what to eat.

lynie said:
Well, I agree trans fats aren't good but the health police are trying to get everything...

Leave my pie and fries alone. :cool:

Lynie

LOL :laugh: and leave my chocolates alone.. well, I don't think chocolates have trans fats but I get the picture.. I like to eat healthy for the most part, but when I want my junk, I want it full of junk... hehe :p

Paladin said:
But...playing devil's advocate to myself, I'm sure if you switched frying oils on consumers to a healthier alternative they would hardly notice the difference...except for the price. Most restaurants use these synthetic oils because they are inexpensive and they generally do not care about your health or well-being.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

reb said:
GOOD!! it's about time. this artificial substance was invented in order for processed foos companies to make the most profits possible, at the expense of our health. and it's the CITY of new york (i.e., the people... ourselves) taking a stand against the corporate reign of the food industry. for those who think it's a "slippery slope".. don't you think the "slippery slope" has already happened, the OTHER way?? look how so much of our society is just programmed to accept eating whatever is put in front of them without questioning it-- fast food, junk food, soft drinks-- just because it appeals to their most basic sense of what "tastes good" (fat/fried, sugar, salt)... but is devoid of nutrition.

the main thing that is ALREADY making the USA something like a communist nation the CORPORATOCRACY that our country is already turning into. the majority of people obvously don't care enough to question what they eat or the effect it will have on their health (look at how many morbidly obese people we have now- including children). so, thank god one city's government is stepping in to prohibit the manufacturers of this junk from peddling their stuff in THEIR town. after all, isn't that what we elect our leaders to do? protect us?? we are already facing a health crisis of epic proportions that our health care system will not be bale to handle in the future. so maybe this is a small step in preventing some of that.
just think about how soda companies went to schools & basically bribed them, offering them money if they could put their junk in the school. when i was in school in the 70's-80's, we didn't have vending machines- and guess what, we survived withouth having to stuff our faces every 30 minutes! for those of you who think the hydo-oil ban is wrong,, aren't you glad that now some schools are taking a stand against these junk food companies, who have essentially bullied the schools into letting them come in there? think about the fast food companies bullying their way into the cafeterias. is that really what you want for your kids? i for one can't believe there was not more media coverage and outrage about this whole issue!

in the meantime, it's really easy to read labels. if you care, the information is there in plain english. i won't touch anything with that hydro oils in it, ever since i read the truth about it years ago. people may say it's hype, but just reading about then & the way they are produced- it doesn't sound good to me at all. and most food with that stuff in it,, you can tell -it just tastes bad. the scary thing is.. it's in almost EVERYTHING now that is processed-- even 'healthy' breakfast cereals!! i won't buy anything with that in it. i choose another brand, make the stuff at home, or just do without. which basically means cutting out most processed foods from your diet, which is something we should be doing anyway. once you start, it's REALLY not that hard! i would rather go to the farmer's markets and health food stores anyway.

in short,, i do hope the ban passes, it's long overdue... and hopefully it will pass everywhere else too. believe me,, we CAN (and should!!) live without it. we ain't gonna starve.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Question: would this post be more fitting in The Political Pavilion? :confused: :confused: :confused:

2sisters said:
I know mcdonalds is gross and bad for me, i don't need the government to tell me that and if you don't already know this then you have probelms. The problem isn't in the oils and fats its in the quantity that we eat then in. if you want to eat burger king 3 times a day then go right ahead, I won't stop you. I agree, it is bad for you but jeez, when do we draw the line. in essense the governemt is telling you what to eat.

But perhaps eating the "burger king 3 times a day" without the trans fats would be marginally less harmful and wouldn't affect the taste?

just the profits?

There is nothing wrong with a business making profits.

I as a free Adult American citizen to not need the government dictating what I eat.

We know its bad for us .. Their job is done.
What they should be focussing on is spending money on programs like underfunded DCF or programs that truly do affect someones life.
NOT wasting a fortune making laws that really are not needed.

If people want a burger and fries without trans fats they can make them at home or go to a restaurant that offers that.
If it is marketable and people really want that option then the restaraunt will have a nice business.
It won't cut into profits because the moment such a stupid law is passed the prices will go up to compensate for it.

I want my damn fries with trans fats OK?
If I wanted something healthy I would order the Salad and a bottle of water.

I have a question. I've googled and can't seem to find exactly what I want.

Can anyone tell me or point me to a list of cooking oils or shortening like Crisco that have trans fats. Or a list of margerines.

Personally I try to buy only oil for my deep fryer that contain no trans fats. I spoil myself with butter. The BarnGod prefers margerine though.

ETA; I found one.
http://www.bantransfats.com/fatsinoils.html

Seriously guys (and gals), if you think trans-fat is a bad thing, then maybe we should ask our government why they are allowing American-run food companies to shove corn based products down our throats.

Corn is in almost everything we eat, and if it's not, it is most likely inextricably linked in some shape or form. Our government subsidizes an enormous amount of corn every year and sells it to food manufacturers for obscenely discounted prices. The result: food companies trying to cram more food and food products down our throats, because it is cheaper for them to produce and more profitable because we have NO choice but to buy into it.

The next time you go home, check out your pantry and pull out everything that may have some sort of sugar or sweetner in it and read the list of ingredients. The odds are very HIGH that it is sweetened with fructose, which is basically sugar made from corn. Do you like Jack Daniels or other American made whiskey? The government requires that they make it with at least 50% corn.

Read this excerpt from http://www.usc.edu/org/InsightBusiness/archives/spring2005/corn.htm ...this article should open your eyes:

In his argument that a surplus of cheap corn is a main proponent for obesity, Michael Pollan blames the food industry for using cheap ingredients, such as HFCS, to enable greater serving sizes. “Cheap corn, transformed into cheap beef, is what allowed McDonalds to supersize its burgers and still sell many of them for no more than a dollar” (Pollan). Greg Critser, author of Fatland: How Americans Became The Fattest People in the World, backs Pollan’s argument. In his book, Critser gives the following data: “A serving of McDonald’s French fries had ballooned from 200 calories (1960) to 320 calories (late 1970s) to 450 calories (mid-1990s) to 540 calories (late 1990s) to the present 610 calories. In fact, everything on the menu had exploded in size. What was once a 590 calorie McDonald’s meal [is] now . . . 1550 calories.” While Critser provides his readers with data regarding the popular French-fry instead of the hamburgers mentioned by Pollan, his commentary is a reflection on the trend in American society: “the bigger the portion, the more food people will eat” (Pollan).

Recent studies done on rising levels of soda consumption also support Pollan’s reasoning that cheap high fructose corn syrup could be behind the increasing rates of obesity. Figure 1 below provides readers with a striking connection between the amount of fructose consumed within the last four decades and the rise in obesity in that same duration (Bray, et al, “Consumption”). Since the introduction of high fructose corn syrup in the 1960’s, beverage companies have been the “big winners in the shift away from sugar […] because the syrup was a cheaper and easier-to-use alternative for liquid sugar at a time of soaring sugar prices, and the federally subsidized corn industry, which found a lucrative use for surplus corn” (King). Not only are soda manufacturers using fructose to sweeten 100% of their products, they are also using falling prices of corn (and in turn corn syrup) to offer super-sized servings to the American public.

Paladin said:
Seriously guys (and gals), if you think trans-fat is a bad thing, then maybe we should ask our government why they are allowing American-run food companies to shove corn based products down our throats.

Corn is in almost everything we eat, and if it's not, it is most likely inextricably linked in some shape or form. Our government subsidizes an enormous amount of corn every year and sells it to food manufacturers for obscenely discounted prices. The result: food companies trying to cram more food and food products down our throats, because it is cheaper for them to produce and more profitable because we have NO choice but to buy into it.

The next time you go home, check out your pantry and pull out everything that may have some sort of sugar or sweetner in it and read the list of ingredients. The odds are very HIGH that it is sweetened with fructose, which is basically sugar made from corn. Do you like Jack Daniels or other American made whiskey? The government requires that they make it with at least 50% corn.

Read this excerpt from http://www.usc.edu/org/InsightBusiness/archives/spring2005/corn.htm ...this article should open your eyes:

I am thrilled you raised the subject of corn being in EVERYTHING, Paladin, as a very good friend of mine i was talking with made me aware of this this summer. she's very worried about it.

thank you for the link. there is something strange going on with so much corn everywhere.

Floh said:
I am thrilled you raised the subject of corn being in EVERYTHING, Paladin, as a very good friend of mine i was talking with made me aware of this this summer. she's very worried about it.

thank you for the link. there is something strange going on with so much corn everywhere.
LOL, tell that to the farmers around here !!! If we aren't raising beef, we are farming wheat, corn and soybeans. Those are the products we produce here. We've been in a drought the past few years, so dryland corn has been burning up due to the lack of water. Some farmers plant corn on irrigated circles. The corn raised here is used for all sorts of products. Oil production, cattle feed, bio-diesel production, etc. Would you believe I have a green travel mug given out by the co-op made from 100% US Corn Plastic? Cargill was here recently filming corn plants at the Penny Ranch for a national advertisement.

Corn is a very useful and important commodity in the US. I don't believe it's being pushed down anyone's throat. As in plastic and bio-diesel, we are just finding more uses for it.

BarnGoddess said:
Corn is a very useful and important commodity in the US. I don't believe it's being pushed down anyone's throat. As in plastic and bio-diesel, we are just finding more uses for it.
It's probably the most prevalent sweetener used in American food products, not to mention the main ingredient in most snack foods such as corn chips, etc. High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) is more readily turned into fat than real sugar. These food companies have no obligation to the long-term health of Americans, so it makes sense they are going to go with the cheapest and most prevalent food source, a.k.a corn.

Have you read the article? Cows are much larger in size because of corn feed.

More of anything = cheaper production costs = cheaper price to consumers = consumers buy more = consumers consume more = consumers get fatter = consumers have more health problems = heavier strain on medical costs = never ending cycle...

There is enough information today (thank you, Gore for inventing the internet! not) that most of us should know what is good and what is bad for us, healthwise. Some of us will choose either way. That is OUR RIGHT! Not the government's right to tell us what to do. Seriously. Think about it. One by one, they are taking it away. Little by little, we are being controlled like little puppets. And, if I can inject some Christian beliefs, God gave us His only Son to die for our sins. He has given each and everyone of us a choice.

If I choose to smoke, I will. If I choose to eat a big, fat, dripping, ooey gooey transfat laden burger or donut, I will. I KNOW the consequences. It's my body. It's my life. I will do what I want.

Do we really want to go back to the Prohibition Days? Seems to me they're doing it slowly but surely. Thinking no one will notice. But, I do and I don't think I'm alone.

The govt. acts like we're the dumbest people around. Come on! The average American can read labels. Like I said before...we can choose to read the labels if we care about that sort of thing.

This is my first post and I apologize for the long rant. It's just been bugging me alot lately.

2sisters said:
ok, I htink htis has gone too far now. we inch closer to being communist everyday. what's next, taking away our cars b/c they cause accidents? How about banning peanuts from restaraunts b/c of allergies?
My sons pre-k did that, banned anything with peanuts or peanut oil.

Can someone explain to me what trans fats are anyway....:doh:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back