IN -Terry and Darleen Anderson Murder, Mungo, 22 Oct 2005 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Knight

Reaction score
The Andersons were very brutally murdered in their Mongo, IN, home in October of 2005. There is now a website set up by Terry's daughter in hopes of finding who murdered them. This case has bugged me (and a lot of us) for awhile, so any ideas would be welcomed.

Here is the site, which includes a link to a story on the murder:

http://terryanddarleen.com/index.php

I had to dig really hard to find any info at all about this murder case.
And even now all I know is the bare bones of the case.
They were beaten to death in separate locations on their property and found separately and guns and weapons (some of which were possibly more valuable than average guns and weapons would be) were stolen from the property.

He (terry) was an avid fisherman and outdoors type from what I could read and he was mentioned and his picture (a copy of the one shown on the family website) was shown on the website of at least one pro fisherman.

It was not mentioned in the news articles but I wonder if their bank cards were stolen and used after the crime? Someone obviously believed he had a worthwhile stash of something hidden on his property and was willing to beat both him and his wife to get the information. He was evidently a colorful character, according to his family website, and I wonder if there were any local legends about him having a stash of money or something else circulating among the local teens?

I have so little to go on here so pardon me if I step out and speculate (sort of thinking out loud.) No sign of forced entry could mean anything from he was surprised at the door to meaning he knew his attackers. Remembering a past case where someone was attacked in his own home by someone looking for a stash of money I remember that person knew his attacker because he had been a previous client of the victem. I wonder if there was some small relationship between the victems and the perps in this case. I wonder if they either knew them in some slight way (Maybe he had met them once while fishing or maybe the perps had done some work for him) or if the perps were relatives of someone that had known Terry and his wife. I don't think the relationship was a close one but just enough that he might have let them in his home if they showed up at the door (or maybe he didnt lock the door and they just walked in - who knows.)

The update I read said the police had several persons of interest in mind.

I don't remember if it was listed or not but I wonder also if any of his fishing gear was missing or had been searched through?

docwho3 said:
I had to dig really hard to find any info at all about this murder case.
And even now all I know is the bare bones of the case.
They were beaten to death in separate locations on their property and found separately and guns and weapons (some of which were possibly more valuable than average guns and weapons would be) were stolen from the property.

He (terry) was an avid fisherman and outdoors type from what I could read and he was mentioned and his picture (a copy of the one shown on the family website) was shown on the website of at least one pro fisherman.

It was not mentioned in the news articles but I wonder if their bank cards were stolen and used after the crime? Someone obviously believed he had a worthwhile stash of something hidden on his property and was willing to beat both him and his wife to get the information. He was evidently a colorful character, according to his family website, and I wonder if there were any local legends about him having a stash of money or something else circulating among the local teens?

I have so little to go on here so pardon me if I step out and speculate (sort of thinking out loud.) No sign of forced entry could mean anything from he was surprised at the door to meaning he knew his attackers. Remembering a past case where someone was attacked in his own home by someone looking for a stash of money I remember that person knew his attacker because he had been a previous client of the victem. I wonder if there was some small relationship between the victems and the perps in this case. I wonder if they either knew them in some slight way (Maybe he had met them once while fishing or maybe the perps had done some work for him) or if the perps were relatives of someone that had known Terry and his wife. I don't think the relationship was a close one but just enough that he might have let them in his home if they showed up at the door (or maybe he didnt lock the door and they just walked in - who knows.)

The update I read said the police had several persons of interest in mind.
Yeah, there isn't much online about it, but I am hoping the website will provide more in coming weeks.

I agree that the victims knew the murderer(s). They had to.

Thanks for your help!

Dark Knight said:
. . .I agree that the victims knew the murderer(s). They had to.

Thanks for your help!
One thing that jumps out at me is that they were both beaten to death but were not found in the same place. It makes me think they were probably beaten to death in different places and that, in turn, makes me think this was a very deliberate interrogation as if someone was expecting and looking for a certain bit of info about where to find something and did not want the two victems to know what each other had said when giving answers.

But, of course, until more info is released that too is only speculation.

I'm corresponding with the daughter of the victims. She feels strongly it is someone very close to her parents. She also said no family members seem supportive of her current efforts.

Anyone have any questions you'd like me to ask her?

Unfortunately to me, and MOO, your second two sentences seem to speak volumes about the situation. I wish her luck but getting anyone to talk would seemingly be a real undertaking.

Here is a direct quote from one of their daughter's e-mails to me:

In two weeks will be the one year anniversary of their horrific murder and each and every moment I breathe - I think of my dad and Darleen. I would be more than grateful to receive anything from ANYONE who would be willing to help me and my husband. I have not been getting any help from my dad's siblings or Darleen's brothers - not even a phone call (can't imagine why) saying that they are excited about all the efforts I have placed with the web-site, billboard and up-teen emails I have sent out these past 12months... Send me anything and everything you feel is worth it - and then some that you might not think - it still might work. I know in my heart that someone very very close to my dad and Darleen did this crime - I FEEL IT... I intend to NEVER stop trying to find out until they put me in the ground...

Dark Knight said:
I'm corresponding with the daughter of the victims. She feels strongly it is someone very close to her parents. She also said no family members seem supportive of her current efforts.

Anyone have any questions you'd like me to ask her?
I guess I posted my own questions earlier - lol.

Is there any evidence or info that L.E. is specifically looking for, that the many internet readers can be on the lookout to spot? (Such as certain guns or other gear showing up on Ebay or identification of any other evidence not currently explained?) She might want to confer with L.E. and make sure she does not release any info that they feel would jeopardize their investigation. Advise to keep excellent relations with L.E. even when it seems very hard to do so.

Other than that please let her know to have faith and know that others of us send our prayers and good wishes in support.

Dark Knight said:
Here is a direct quote from one of their daughter's e-mails to me:

In two weeks will be the one year anniversary of their horrific murder and each and every moment I breathe - I think of my dad and Darleen. I would be more than grateful to receive anything from ANYONE who would be willing to help me and my husband. I have not been getting any help from my dad's siblings or Darleen's brothers - not even a phone call (can't imagine why) saying that they are excited about all the efforts I have placed with the web-site, billboard and up-teen emails I have sent out these past 12months... Send me anything and everything you feel is worth it - and then some that you might not think - it still might work. I know in my heart that someone very very close to my dad and Darleen did this crime - I FEEL IT... I intend to NEVER stop trying to find out until they put me in the ground...

I feel very badly that the daughter's family is not supporting her in her efforts and she is having to face this alone.

Surely LE has verified all alibis for all family members and friends by now....Right?

She has joined WS and will be taking part in this thread, she tells me.

Boy, she has told me some things that make it clear to me who is PROBABLY responsible, and it's a sad thought, for sure. But I will let her tell that and you can decide.

docwho3 said:
I don't remember if it was listed or not but I wonder also if any of his fishing gear was missing or had been searched through?
No fishing gear was taken. Several guns- one my dad had always by him with a light on it..a cross bow - but the arrows were left behind, some collector coins that were hanging around in the barn on the table in a glass ashtray. Also some cash - like 6-10K. Wallet was open and still there.. empty of money. Dad was about to purchase/exchange his 3yr old boat for a new boat for his guide service. Had appointment that sat - told my husband the Tues before.. We were scheduled to go deer hunting open season - November 2005.. Dad said he would have his new boat by then and Eric and him would 'get it wet'. No money found. The safe was locked - no big money when they opened it. House was not overly trashed. Over kill is all I can tell everyone. Crushed them so I could only have closed caskets. I don't think Dad and Darleen felt a threat to the visitor's they had than night. I feel it was more than one person. Better more than one - now it's not a secret cuz two people know.

mfmangel1 said:
I feel very badly that the daughter's family is not supporting her in her efforts and she is having to face this alone.

Surely LE has verified all alibis for all family members and friends by now....Right?
Thanks for those kinds thoughts. I am very sad that I am not getting any support. I do have my husband who hurts as I do. My Pastor brother is a great help spiritually. He's my preacher boy and gives me the words sometimes I need to get me thru another moment. My mother is also the best medicine. She loved dad - even after all the BS and years of pain in the past. She is a huge supporter! Bless my mom. I love her so much. LE is well aware of every move we have made and what personal issues we have been given. I think it builds a case and shows personallity. LE has ideas. It's a huge buzz in DA's office. I think that majority of other family feels either scared of the truth or would rather ignore. It's only speculation tho. I can't account for anyone's actions on why they do or not do things. But - It's not in my nature to ignore.

FYI - Rosco is the daughter of the victims. Thanks for joining us, Rosco.

I just read your latest e-mail. There is little doubt in my mind they knew the victims very well. Maybe you can relay some of that same info on here and let others chime in. Or I can C and P with your permission.

It should also be noted that it was another daughter, I'll call her "A", who found the bodies and called the police. She is continuing to live in that same house and had rented part of it out to someone within 3 weeks of the murders. She was quoted at the time of the murders in a local newspaper that she would make her parents dreams her dreams, such as a full wrap around porch, tear down the barn, new siding, new curtains, new furniture, electrical work, and now a security system, all in memory of them. (I still have the newspaper article.)

Roscoe, I just got done reading the stories you wrote about Terry and Darlene. I am very touched. You really made Terry's personality come alive for me. I really hope that their killers are found, and quickly.

Was the money that was stolen to be used for the purchase of a boat? Was he selling a boat? Did someone perhaps come under false pretenses to buy the boat? It woudn't be the first time that happened.

BTW, I am so impressed with your career choice of sign language interpreting. That is something I am also interested in. I've taken ASL 1, in CA, but then we moved to NC and all they have in my college is SEE. I refuse to take it. I may take a class online.

Rosco said:
Thanks for those kinds thoughts. I am very sad that I am not getting any support. I do have my husband who hurts as I do. My Pastor brother is a great help spiritually. He's my preacher boy and gives me the words sometimes I need to get me thru another moment. My mother is also the best medicine. She loved dad - even after all the BS and years of pain in the past. She is a huge supporter! Bless my mom. I love her so much. LE is well aware of every move we have made and what personal issues we have been given. I think it builds a case and shows personallity. LE has ideas. It's a huge buzz in DA's office. I think that majority of other family feels either scared of the truth or would rather ignore. It's only speculation tho. I can't account for anyone's actions on why they do or not do things. But - It's not in my nature to ignore.
Hello Rosco. I'm very sorry for your loss. I have a few questions for you if you don't mind please?

1. Was the area where Terry & Darlene lived rural or semi-rural?

2. How close was their nearest neighbour?

3. Did any of the neighbours notice any unusual comings & goings to or from the property?

4. Had there been any similar crimes in the surrounding area during the previous six months to a year, with or without violence?

5. Is it possible to find out who else knew that Terry was going to buy a new boat and had a large amount of cash on the premises within the timeframe of the few days before he was to purchase the boat?

6. Forgive the crudity & bluntness of this next question please. Did the coroner or law enforcement give any indication of who was killed first? And if so were they able to indicate if the second victim was fleeing or had been forced to watch the first victim's demise and then had to take the murderers to where ever the money or other valuables were stored?

7. Have any of the stolen 'items turned up', especially any of the guns?

8. Is it possible that other family members are afraid of someone with a history of violence or abuse and this is holding them back from helping?

Again sorry for your loss and I hope LE track down whoever murdered Terry & Darlene soon.

blaize

Dark Knight said:
Sorry DK, if you're not a paid subscriber to their print editions you have to pay for access to read their archives so maybe you could post a synopsis of the info in the articles please?

blaize

blaize said:
Hello Rosco. I'm very sorry for your loss. I have a few questions for you if you don't mind please?

1. Was the area where Terry & Darlene lived rural or semi-rural?

2. How close was their nearest neighbour?

3. Did any of the neighbours notice any unusual comings & goings to or from the property?

4. Had there been any similar crimes in the surrounding area during the previous six months to a year, with or without violence?

5. Is it possible to find out who else knew that Terry was going to buy a new boat and had a large amount of cash on the premises within the timeframe of the few days before he was to purchase the boat?

6. Forgive the crudity & bluntness of this next question please. Did the coroner or law enforcement give any indication of who was killed first? And if so were they able to indicate if the second victim was fleeing or had been forced to watch the first victim's demise and then had to take the murderers to where ever the money or other valuables were stored?

7. Have any of the stolen 'items turned up', especially any of the guns?

8. Is it possible that other family members are afraid of someone with a history of violence or abuse and this is holding them back from helping?

Again sorry for your loss and I hope LE track down whoever murdered Terry & Darlene soon.

blaize

Thank you for your prayers.

- My father lived on 11 aches. Three large dwellings on the land and rest was woods.

-Nearest neighbor is well over 4 city blocks away - across a big feild of corn. They lived there over 35yrs.

- neighbors heard/saw nothing - I was also told that LE never interviewed neighbors. Asking questions -knocking on doors. Strange huh?

- FIRST homiside in LaGrange County is 4yrs... no similar.

- Dad would not have sold boat to stranger. Trusted only dealership. Had personal relation with sales person at dealership. Had spoken just that week to come into shop and look

- Coroner ruled Darleen died first. Just cuz she was found first. They can't tell time of death - I think it was within minutes of each other. Darleen was inside and warm - decomp would come sooner - Dad was on concrete and it was Oct - cold outside..

- nothing showing up as far as the guns or anything else - far as I know. LE does not share too much of that info. But that Larry Carpenter charector the other week has me thinking he knows something - he is connected someway with that person living in the house. Both came from Sturgis and FLA - both were previously in jail for drug charges.

- I think that other family members have longtime issues with feelings about my dad and darleen. Others have not been all that close to me in the 20yrs nor to dad. History of money and issues that stem back 40yrs ago - It's history to me and some people just can't set it aside I am guessing. I am shocked tho about darleen's brothers. One would like to think that they would step up to plate and help me out.

I feel that LE and help with the public the parties will be caught and conficted.... I truly will work until my body shuts down...and then my family will continue the fight for justice!!!

I will continue to read this and reply as I can...

My heart hangs low but my head is held high and I intend to keep it there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redeworker