PA - Five girls dead, 5 injured in Amish school shooting, 2 Oct 2006

SadieMae

Former Member
Reaction score
Just heard on CNN:

Apparently multiple people have been shot at a Lancaster County, PA one room school house. It is reported to be an Amish school. Not sure yet if there is a hostage situation. My GOD, what's the world coming to?

The shooter was shot and killed by police.

News conference around 1pm ET.

Many people injured and possibly many dead.

Who would ever have thought something like this would happen in an Amish community? The world gets crazier by the day. :(

scandi said:
The shooter was shot and killed by police.

News conference around 1pm ET.

Many people injured and possibly many dead.
I am trying to see if I recognize the location of this farm and school......but, they are not showing enough.
Such nice, quiet people who keep to themselves.
This looks like outside of the tourist area. It is so beautiful watching them farm in the old fashioned ways.

Just reported on CNN:

3 pediatric victims with gunshot wounds, one of them in critical condition.

I'm praying for them......

It seems this is in the town of Paradise. Towns are close to each other and blend together. Neighboring towns are Bird-in-Hand and Intercourse (no joke)
They are saying on MSNBC that the schooling only goes to 8th grade. It is being reported an angry man showed up there. Confirmed by WGAL channel.
Lancaster has gotten 3 patients age 6 to 16.......Hershey medical Center may have someone airlifted there.

Sundayrain said:
It seems this is in the town of Paradise. Towns are close to each other and blend together. Neighboring towns are Bird-in-Hand and Intercourse (no joke)
They are saying on MSNBC that the schooling only goes to 8th grade. It is being reported an angry man showed up there. Confirmed by WGAL channel.
Lancaster has gotten 3 patients age 6 to 16.......Hershey medical Center may have someone airlifted there.
How close is Intercourse to Paradise? :D

Confirmed many people dead from
FOX - a number of people they say. Shortly new details coming. Nickomius {sp} is the name of the small town.

Yahoo! has the town of Nickle Mines, Pa as the place.

Just walked in from Wal-Mart and saw this....:eek: How many school shootings is this now in the last week? And this one in AMISH country??? Those poor, poor people. :*(

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,217073,00.html

Cops: 'Number' of People Killed in Pennsylvania School Shooting

NICKEL MINES, Pa. — A "number" of people were killed in a shooting at a one-room Amish schoolhouse in Lancaster County Monday, Pennsylvania state police said.

"There are a number of people dead. ... The exact number I do not know yet," state police Cpl. Ralph Striebig said.

The police told FOX News that it was in fact a hostage situation and that the shooter is now killed. There were at least 12 people injured, along with the deaths, police said. Not motive is yet known.

There is a news conference scheduled at the school sometime before 1 p.m. ET.

Click here to visit FOXNews.com's Crime Center

The school is in Paradise Township on Mine Road, in Bart — an Amish community within the township. There are a total of 27 students in Wolf Rock School, where the shooting took place.

The Lancaster County 911 Web site reported that dozens of emergency units were dispatched to a "medical emergency" at 10:45 a.m. Monday.

More at the link

I am sure most of the true Amish didn't even know about the other school shootings we have had recently. Most have no electric and do not bother with the outside world issues. The farms are so beautiful with the old age ways. Sometimes you can look on a mountain top and see the silhouette in black of a horse with a young boy behind pushing a plow. Or you can see teenagers all together on the back of a hay wagon being pulled by horses. Just a slow, simple united way of living. All the black buggies passing by, or parked at the General Store. Kids arriving home on skooters, or sitting in a wagon and pushing it along with one foot. How sad for this close knit, tight group.
It seems to say 5 have died. A very sad day for the Lancaster area.
They will all gather together soon..........that is what they tend to do.

Sundayrain said:
I am sure most of the true Amish didn't even know about the other school shootings we have had recently. Most have no electric and do not bother with the outside world issues. The farms are so beautiful with the old age ways. Sometimes you can look on a mountain top and see the silhouette in black of a horse with a young boy behind pushing a plow. Or you can see teenagers all together on the back of a hay wagon being pulled by horses. Just a slow, simple united way of living. All the black buggies passing by, or parked at the General Store. Kids arriving home on skooters, or sitting in a wagon and pushing it along with one foot. How sad for this close knit, tight group.
It seems to say 5 have died. A very sad day for the Lancaster area.
They will all gather together soon..........that is what they tend to do.
That's what makes it so shocking to me. They are not caught up in the ways of "modern" life and it's stresses.
CNN now says 6 are dead. :(

SadieMae said:
How close is Intercourse to Paradise? :D

Very, very close!! ;)

When I lived in Philadelphia, I would take out-of-towners to Intercourse and its surrounding area to see the Amish culture. It got to be too touristy with most of the shops selling "country" style but not real Amish. You have to get off into the smaller country roads to get the feel of the Amish now. I agree with Sundayrain that watching their traditional ways is beautiful and fascinating.

How horrible for the children in that school. I wonder if the assailant is an outsider or a member of the Amish community.

Thanks Lynie! I'm watching FOX, and just saw all these firemen walk out in a line and they are now standing abreast across the field. Wonder why? 6 people were killed and there are other injuries.

scandi said:
Thanks Lynie! I'm watching FOX, and just saw all these firemen walk out in a line and they are now standing abreast across the field. Wonder why? 6 people were killed and there are other injuries.
CNN says they are looking for those that might be injured that may have fled.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back