Anger as Straw tells Muslim women to take off their veils

this is a tough one for me to respond to----as I cannot begin to fathom walking around with my face covered, or walking behind a man--- not being able to drive---I just look at it as a very ridiculous way to live--- but I respect the fact that I was given the freedoms these woman cannot even imagine, and in a very respectful way I am saying they know no differnt or better-( except I think they do, just from the televison and newspapers) so I mean no dirispect--- but I just find it ludicrist -:truce:

Its definitely a good trend--France,Italy,Denmark, and now Britain are outlawing some of these garbs,and that's as it should be--all this veil crap is from the dark ages--this is the year 2006 not 1200--but most Muslim women don't wear all that junk anyway,article said only 2 percent in Britain do

I don't think there is anything wrong with a woman being veiled if it is for religious beliefs. I don't think any of us would criticize the Amish women for the way they dress in 2006. It's the way of their faith they don't dress like the rest of us.

SadieMae said:
I don't think there is anything wrong with a woman being veiled if it is for religious beliefs. I don't think any of us would criticize the Amish women for the way they dress in 2006. It's the way of their faith they don't dress like the rest of us.

Amish women's faces are revealed, muslim women have their faces covered. For identification purposes, Amish dress is much more acceptable than the Muslim woman with only her eyes exposed.

There was a case in Florida a couple of years back where a Muslim woman wanted a driver's license, but refused to remove her face covering for the photo ID. She went to court to have the right to have her pic taken with her face covered, and she lost her case. Rightly so.

kgeaux said:
Amish women's faces are revealed, muslim women have their faces covered. For identification purposes, Amish dress is much more acceptable than the Muslim woman with only her eyes exposed.

Islam does not require that a woman cover her face. It is only the top of the head that is to be covered out of respect to Allah -- done by wearing a headscarf (not much different from the Amish bonnet). The vast majority of muslim women do not cover their faces. It is only the extremist/fundamentalist naions -- Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, a few of the Gulf States, and now parts of Iraq -- where men have twisted the Quran to achieve their fantasies of power, that women are forced to cover their faces. Only muslims who sympathize with fundamentalist ideology living in non-muslim countries have their women cover their faces.

reb said:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=408846&in_page_id=1770

what do you guys think of this? if things continue as they are in the U.S., we're going to be faced with that issue more & more here.
Reb, your heading is incorrect - Jack Straw is not TELLING women to remove their veils, he is ASKING that they remove their veil. I don't see anything wrong with that at all, he is entitled to his opinion as we all are. I am sick of all the hype and media attention this has brought here in the UK, if I see another Muslim whingeing and whining about it in the media, I am going to scream! Anyone would think Jack Straw had ripped a womans' veil off, when all he has done is simply requested they remove it when in his constituency. All I can say is.............. WHEN IN ROME!!!! :snooty: :snooty:

windovervocalcords said:
Haven't you ever had a day you wished you could wear a bag or veil over your head?
No, but I have had days when I wished I could put one over someone else's head!! :dance:

I just realised, that sounds really nasty doesn't it???? I don't mean it to, it's a joke!! :angel:

windovervocalcords said:
Haven't you ever had a day you wished you could wear a bag or veil over your head?
LOL - I sure have!!!! :blushing:

windovervocalcords said:

Yes! Especiall when having to walk past a group of adolescent males or a construction site. There are times when anonymity and lack of attention to one's self is a good thing.

windover-- LOL!! i know what you mean!
but if i walk by a construction site and the idiots stare,, i just stare them back all in the eye (in a very confrontational way- which they are NOT expecting) and if they keep doing it, i stop and say "WHAT?! haven't you ever seen a female before? you guys must not get out much!" that usually takes them totally off guard & embarasses them into possibly thinking about acting a bit more like a civilized human being next time! and keep in mind there is a certain amount of flattery involved with males staring, but i only do this when they are being really lecherous about it.

btw,, as for the article-- my thoughts are: i'm sorry but i need to see you FACE when i am talking or interacting with you. i don't give a rat's *advertiser censored* about your 'religious beliefs'-- you need to take that god damn sheet off your face if you want to live among civilized modern society!!

its is threateaning, and it also make you look like a terrorist. if you want to go live in a cult somewhere where you can't show your face because the men will want to rape you, then you go live there but leave the rest of us alone. and, there is something SERIOUSLY wrong with the men,, and the religion that requires that, don't you think??

that being said,, i DO think our western society is too sex-obsessed and i'm sick of seeing women (and young girls!) dressing like *advertiser censored*. a bit more modesty and self-respect would be nice,, although i don't know if it would cut down rapes & violence because the way men are, they will rape you if you're a hooker, a nun, a little girl... it doesn't matter. but i'm only saying this because i'm sick of seeing women degrade themselves (although many of them see it as 'empowerment'), and sometimes all that flesh is just more than i want to see (too much information!).

I found this story interesting. Things seem to be a-changing in the UK. For years we have been forced to walk on egg-shells around certain ethnic minorities with many of them seeming to have far more rights in our country than we would have in theirs. The government has NOT been putting the British people first for a long time and a lot are angry.

I think Jack Straw is very brave to suggest the removal of veils and on a radio survey this morning 99 per cent of the population agreed with him.
Personally, it does not bother me one way or the other whether they wear veils or not it is their choice (or their husbands). As long as respect goes both ways.
Although the government has said that this is Jack Straws personal views and not their own I truly think that there may come a time when immigrants will have to make more of an effort to intergrate if they wish to live in this country.
I am sure I read somewhere they are going to have to speak English, cant remember where though.

eastender said:
I found this story interesting. Things seem to be a-changing in the UK. For years we have been forced to walk on egg-shells around certain ethnic minorities with many of them seeming to have far more rights in our country than we would have in theirs. The government has NOT been putting the British people first for a long time and a lot are angry.

I think Jack Straw is very brave to suggest the removal of veils and on a radio survey this morning 99 per cent of the population agreed with him.
Personally, it does not bother me one way or the other whether they wear veils or not it is their choice (or their husbands). As long as respect goes both ways.
Although the government has said that this is Jack Straws personal views and not their own I truly think that there may come a time when immigrants will have to make more of an effort to intergrate if they wish to live in this country.
I am sure I read somewhere they are going to have to speak English, cant remember where though.
Excellent post Eastender.

Having to be able to speak English would certainly be a start.

I wonder if he requires people to remove their sunglasses when in his constituency? I understand his problem with speaking to a person whose face is covered, but I find the same problem trying to speak to people with their EYES covered. :cool:

i see what you're saying,, but that is very different. you can't have your DL pic taken, or go to a work or political meeting with sunglasses on-- you would be asked to remove them!
many people's eyes are sensitive to sunlight-- sometimes wearing contacts makes you that way, or just the color or nature of your eyes. and of course the sun is getting more & more intense all the time. plus, when you're speaking with someone, you can see their lips moving and basic facial expression. when someone has a veil over their face with just eyes peeking out, you can't see the rest of their face and it's very unnerving.
plus, it makes them look like they have terrorist sympathies.. which if you are a fundamentalist muslim, you probably do. just wearing sunglasses, does not!

I only have veil issues if women are being forced to wear them and that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Of course, I don't have a problem with Jack Straw asking for the veils to be removed either.

I think this is a classic example of much ado about nothing.

IMHO

reb said:
...plus, it makes them look like they have terrorist sympathies.. which if you are a fundamentalist muslim, you probably do. just wearing sunglasses, does not!

That only reveals YOUR biases and ignorance about muslims. Being veiled has nothing to do with terrorism.

You're right in the latter part, though. Sunglasses are better associated with the mafia and gangs.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back