UT UT - Rhonda Karren, 31, Vernal, 28 Sept 1987

Rle7

Reaction score
Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
Missing Since: September 28, 1987 from Vernal, Utah
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: August 16, 1956
Height and Weight: 5'6, 120 - 160 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Blonde hair, green eyes. Karren wears a full set of dentures. She a mole on the lower right side of her chin. She was a chain-smoker at the time of her 1987 disappearance.
Clothing/Jewelry Description: A sweater and black polyester slacks.

bar.jpg

Details of Disappearance
Karren was last seen at approximately 10:30 p.m. on September 28, 1987 in her hometown of Vernal, Utah. She was dropping a co-worker off at the person's residence after attending a two-day K-Mart management meeting in Salt Lake City, Utah during the day. Karren apparently returned to her own house in Vernal afterwards. She has never been seen again.

Karren was scheduled to report to work at the K-Mart store in Vernal at 7:30 a.m. the following morning, September 29. She never arrived as planned and was reported as a missing person to authorities later in the day. Karren's residence was checked and investigators discovered signs of a struggle inside the home. Items were knocked out of place and there were drag marks. Karren's purse, house and car keys and cigarettes were on the kitchen counter. There was no trace of her elsewhere. Based on evidence located inside the house, investigators believe she was murdered. Karren separated from her husband a week prior to her disappearance. Foul play is suspected in her case due to the circumstances involved. Authorities have had a suspect in her disappearance since 1987. He is a man with ties to Karren, but he has never been charged nor named publicly due to a lack of evidence. In 2002, police dug up an abandoned oil well outside of Vernal looking for Karren's remains, but found no evidence. Her case remains unsolved.

bar.jpg
Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Uintah County Sheriff's Office
435-789-2511

Advancements in forensic science have provided new leads in the disappearance of a Vernal woman 19 years ago, and a search warrant in the case was served this week, the Uintah County sheriff said Friday.

Rhonda Fae Karren, 31, was reported missing Sept. 29, 1987, after failing to appear for work at the Kmart in Vernal in eastern Utah.

Her mother, Audrey Slaugh, 80, said Chief Deputy Bob Vanderbusse told her about two weeks ago that investigators planned to excavate a site in Colorado.

"He let me know that the big rig was on the site," Slaugh said. "My hopes have been raised so many times. I'll believe it when I see it, when I know for sure."

Recalling the day her daughter disappeared, Slaugh found Karren's new black pumps in the front yard along with her black corduroy jacket.

Inside the house were a purse and a pack of cigarettes -- something Slaugh said her daughter never would have left behind.

Investigators at that time believed Karren was a victim of foul play.

http://cbs4denver.com/crime/local_story_279184100.html

Detectives in Uintah County investigating the disappearance of a Vernal woman 19 years ago have found what may be human remains buried in an old water well.

A drilling company dug into the well on Wednesday to look for remains of Rhonda Fae Karren. She was 31 when she was reported missing in 1987.

The site where the sheriff's office drilled Wednesday is in the area of Diamond Mountain in Colorado, about 30 miles northeast of Vernal.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=548953

Detectives took hair, blood and saliva samples from a Vernal man whose wife disappeared in 1987, according to court documents disclosed Thursday.

Police are investigating the disappearance and suspected killing of Rhonda Fae Karren, who was 31 years old when she was last seen. The Uintah County Sheriff's Office on Oct. 5 served a search warrant on her former husband, Mark A. Karren.

Investigators took samples of Mark Karren's pubic hair, as well as hair from his head, chest, left arm, left leg and mustache, according to an inventory filed with 8th District Court in Vernal. The inventory also says police drew a blood sample from Mark Karren, 47, ran a swab inside his mouth and collected his fingerprints.

The documents disclosed Thursday do not state why police sought the samples, and Judge John R. Anderson sealed the police affidavit stating the cause for the warrant.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_4485976

Bump

This month marks 23 years since Rhonda went missing. Come home soon.

Rhonda has been missing for 28 years now. Her profile on the Charley Project was taken down but she is listed as missing on other sites.

http://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?id=4509486&itype=NGPSID

An investigator trying to find a missing Vernal woman is hoping blood and hairs recovered 19 years ago will tell him what happened to her - or at least whether he's looking in the right place.

The genetic material taken from Rhonda Fae Karren's home at the time of her disappearance has never been compared to her former husband, said Bob Vanderbusse, the chief deputy at the Uintah County Sheriff's Office. The sheriff's office is having the materials tested now to determine whether they belong to Karren, her husband or to someone else.

Vanderbusse said the blood consists of a few droplets; the hairs were found on Karren's bed sheets.

This is from 2006. What were the results of this test?

Doe Network

NamUs

Utah Cold Case Files

Mrs. Rhonda Fae Alexander Karren was last seen on the evening of September 28, 1987 at approximately 9:00 pm when she returned to Vernal with a friend. The two friends had traveled to Salt Lake City for a work related training class and returned on the evening of September 28th. She was scheduled to work the following morning at 7:30 am, however she did not show up at work. Mrs. Karren’s mother went to her daughter’s home finding no one responding to the door and observing the doors locked. She observed what was described a signs of a struggle outside the home. The Uintah CoSO responded at approximately 3:45 pm on the 29th. Entry was made into the residence where officers found further indications of a struggle. In addition Deputies observed signs of a struggle outside the residence along with the presence of personal property Mrs. Karren was said to never be without. Mrs. Karren has not been located.

normal.jpg

JusticeWillBeServed and Rle7, thank you both for keeping this bumped. I had never heard of it until now.

Why was her her Charley page taken down?

I asked the owner why it was taken down. She said she may have accidentally purged it. If that was the case, then she will probably put it up again when she gets a chance.

I remember my mom telling me about Rhonda - I lived in Vernal when I was growing up. The story about her shoe being outside of her home, showing a struggle. The investigation was botched. They know who did it, but didn't pursue it hard enough. She wasn't the only unsolved murder during this time frame that I personally believe - MOO - was botched investigations. I had no idea that they finally went and dug up a well. The fact that she was left in a well was well known way back in the 80's! Where are the results of the human remains found in the well? Why in the world didn't the home owners tell anyone about long hair found?!!! Sooooo sad.

I was married to Rhonda’s estranged son. He was left in the custody of his father as a toddler.

Digging up the well, didn’t yield anything but a few possible bone fragments.
I know they think Mark Karren murdered her, but I wonder if they ever investigated her ex-husband. He really hated her and talked often about her in very derogatory ways. So much so that it made me uneasy. He worked in the oilfield in very isolated areas at the time of her disappearance.

Last edited:
I was married to Rhonda’s estranged son. He was left in the custody of his father as a toddler.

I know they think Mark Karren murdered her, but I wonder if they ever investigated her ex-husband. He really hated her and talked often about her in very derogatory ways. So much so that it made me uneasy. He worked in the oilfield in very isolated areas at the time of her disappearance.

Thanks for the insight.

Thank you for posting! Welcome to WebSleuths! My sister-in-law knew Rhonda and again my family talked about the evidence that was known to the public. Do you know if her ex was ever questioned or investigated?

During the 80's, in Vernal there was also a person found in the trunk of their car. They had knocked their tail lights out "so that noone would find their car", and removed their license plates (again so noone would find the car). The person was shot and left in the trunk of the car. The police ruled that it was a suicide. Made all of us go hmmmmmmm

569DFUT - Rhonda Fae Karren​

Name: Rhonda Fae Karren
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: September 28, 1987
Location Last Seen: Vernal, Uintah County, Utah

Physical Description​

Date of Birth: August 16, 1956
Race: White
Height: 5'6"
Weight: 120 lbs.
Hair Color: Blonde, shoulder length, straight
Eye Color: Green
Nickname/Alias: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: She was a chain-smoker at the time of her disappearance. Mole on lower right side of chin, discoloration on leg.

Identifiers​

Dentals: She wears full dentures.
Fingerprints: Unknown
DNA: Unknown

Clothing & Personal Items​

Clothing: She was wearing black polyester slacks and a sweater when she was last seen.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Disappearance​

Karren was last seen at about 22:30 on September 28, 1987 after she dropped off a coworker upon their return from a K-Mart management meeting in Salt Lake City.

Karren was scheduled to open the Vernal K-Mart store at 07:30 on September 29, 1987 but never showed. She was reported missing later that same date.

There were definite signs of a struggle at Karren's home. Karren was considered a chain smoker, but left her cigarettes on the kitchen counter along with her purse, house and car keys. The week prior to her disappearance Karren and her husband had separated.

Foul play is suspected. There is a suspect in the case, who has never been charged.

Investigating Agency(s)​

Agency Name: Uintah County Sheriff's Office
Agency Contact Person: Det. Chief Deputy Robert A. Vanderbusse
Agency Phone Number: 435-789-2511
Agency E-Mail: rvanderbusse@co.uintah.ut.us
Agency Case Number: 8700758

NCIC Case Number: M-425017418

Information Source(s)​

KSL NewsRadio 1160
KSL 5 10/5/06
Daily Herald 10/7/06
Namus

Admin Notes​

Added: Prior to 2011; Last Updated: 05-18-2022 - By: Htmlcnvtr

the husband attacks again... how can they think they will never be caught? that conscience would take them to the limit of their sanity? clearly Mark Karren is the culprit, maybe not directly him or maybe yes, but the unknown chemical that he poured on his wife's corpse did its job... he dissolved her for 20 years... so I'm not sure if he died or committed suicide. This guy... I don't know what she would be like but a separated couple should not be friends after the separation but maybe close... after all there was love at some point...
either way
rest in peace

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member