WA WA - Leah Roberts, 23, Whatcom Co, 13 Mar 2000

Missing Person - Leah T. Roberts

23 Years of Age, 5'6" Tall, 130 lbs.
Home Town: Durham, North Carolina
Left North Carolina March 9, 2000
Veh: 1993 White Jeep Cherokee

Leah left her home town on March 9, 2000. She did not advise anyone of her destination. She left in a white 1993 Jeep Cherokee, North Carolina Lic# JVP-2881. The vehicle was found abandoned on a logging road in Whatcom County on Saturday, March 18, 2000. Receipts in the vehicle show gasoline was purchased in Brooks, Oregon in the early morning hours of Monday, March 13, 2000. A ticket was purchased from the theater at Bellis Fair Mall in Bellingham on March 13, 2000 at 2:10 PM for the movie, American Beauty. Cat food was found in the car which leads investigators to suspect that she may have taken her small kitten with her from North Carolina. No other information is known at this time.

Contact

If you have information concerning the whereabouts of Leah since she left North Carolina on March 9, 2000, please contact the Detective Sergeant of the Whatcom County Sheriff's Office at 360-676-6650 or contact the What Com Dispatch Center at 360-676-6711.

Missing Person - Leah T. Roberts

23 Years of Age, 5'6" Tall, 130 lbs.
Home Town: Durham, North Carolina
Left North Carolina March 9, 2000
Veh: 1993 White Jeep Cherokee

Leah left her home town on March 9, 2000. She did not advise anyone of her destination. She left in a white 1993 Jeep Cherokee, North Carolina Lic# JVP-2881. The vehicle was found abandoned on a logging road in Whatcom County on Saturday, March 18, 2000. Receipts in the vehicle show gasoline was purchased in Brooks, Oregon in the early morning hours of Monday, March 13, 2000. A ticket was purchased from the theater at Bellis Fair Mall in Bellingham on March 13, 2000 at 2:10 PM for the movie, American Beauty. Cat food was found in the car which leads investigators to suspect that she may have taken her small kitten with her from North Carolina. No other information is known at this time.

Contact

If you have information concerning the whereabouts of Leah since she left North Carolina on March 9, 2000, please contact the Detective Sergeant of the Whatcom County Sheriff's Office at 360-676-6650 or contact the What Com Dispatch Center at 360-676-6711.

This is such a sad case. Due to her car being found wrecked, we can only hope that she has amnesia or similar and does not know who she is.

Poor Leah and her family.. :sick:

This is such a sad case. Due to her car being found wrecked, we can only hope that she has amnesia or similar and does not know who she is.

Poor Leah and her family.. :sick:

Do any Websleuthers have any theories on what happened here? I've been reading articles on this case and found a few interesting details.
The note she left for her roommate was found after they reported her missing.
Sheets were covering the broken windows of her car however many contents of her car were taken out of the car and put on the ground surronding it. No blood was in the car.
I also read it has been thought the accident looked staged in some ways. I'll look for more on that.

From what I have read it sounds to me like Leah perhaps was mentally ill. I believe that she was not acting rationally and perhaps a car accident compounded this similar to Kristi Krebs case - not sure if you are familiar with this.

I believe she may still be alive and homeless or hitchhiking across the country. I hope this is the case anyway unless she met with foul play along the way.

In the note she makes a reference to [size=-1]Jack Kerouac who wrote of the area where the car was found, particularly [/size] Desolation Peak.
I wonder if she tried to make it to the peak.
http://www.beatangel.com/Desolation.html
When I read further about the car it said the joggers who found it went looking down the embankment because clothing items were snagged to tree limbs along the road. It sounds like she wanted the car and contents to be found.
I think the hitchhiking/homeless theory is possible but with the show being on unsolved mysteries it sounds like someone somewhere would recognize her.

that's the first time i've seen that note....... how strange. seems like she may have had some kind of epiphany & wanted to get away from it all... also it seems like her friends may have thought she was suicidal,, which is why she said she wasn't, she was 'the opposite'-- which suggests a state of euphoria... maybe brought on by the mental stress of being in her senior year (along with her parent's death & possible residual injury from the first car accident)... so it seems that people were worried about her. but what is odd, is that in the same note, she said some contradictory things... like 'here's money for the bills while i'm gone' and 'see you soon', which suggests she was coming back... but then, 'don't worry... time passes quickly.. have faith in me, you, everyone" and "give peter my laptop" makes it sound more like she is saying good-bye (and giving things away suggests suicide). 'see you soon' could have also meant, 'see you soon (after death)- because life passes quickly'.
it's all very vague and cryptic, and perhaps she didn't even know what she was searching for, or what she was going to do once she got to where she was going.
other things that are odd: driving cross country in THREE DAYS. that pretty much means she didn't sleep, and drove straight though without stopping for very long... which also strongly suggests a manic state. (unless..... someone was with her and helped with the driving...??? sometimes i think this is a reason why people run away mysteriously and suddenly, on their own accord-- they meet someone they have a strong connection with, and don't want to reveal it to anyone for fear of criticism, or.. 'they just wouldn't understand'. so, perhaps she met someone that no one else knew about?)

the fact that she went to see 'american beauty' suggests that she was not so much in a whacked-out or tormented state of mind that she couldn't see a popular movie... since they only found one ticket, she either went by herself, of if she was with someone- they could have paid & given her her ticket, or they both paid for their own.

either way, it certainly appears that she skidded off the road in the rain- or perhaps a lack of sleep & her mental state contributed to this.. & had a possible head injury.. maybe remained in the car all night due to the darkness & weather, and there was nowhere to go... covered the car with the blankets (to keep out the rain, or keep warm?)... maybe by the next day she was hungry, disoriented, desperate, lost, in pain or with a possible concussion.. all of which can impair your judgement.. and went up to the road for help & was picked up by someone with evil intentions.

the description says the car was wrecked, so i'm assuming that means undrivable- plus it was down an embankment, which means she probably wouldn't have been able to drive back up anyway. the windows being broken means one (or both) of 2 things: 1) if the accident was that bad, she probably bumped her head- but maybe not bad enough to bleed, since there was no blood found- or- 2), someone broke in after she left the car-- or while she was in the car. (but, they would've had to know she was down there.. if you couldn't see the car from the road).
it's also possible that she was speeding to get away from someone who was following her, when she wrecked.

OR.............. back to the beginning: maybe she really was suicidal-- and when she wrecked the car & was immobilized, it was more than she could take. telling friends 'i'm not suicidal, i'm the opposite' could still mean you are thinking about ending your life but view it as a type of freedom. or, perhaps she just didn't want her friends to worry. this possibility makes me think of the case of minna sandmeyer.. no one even considered suicide because she seemed happy, healthy, was socially active and well-loved. she also was a young (20-something) lady searching for meaning in life... and went off alone on a solitary bike trip.. everyone suspected she was abducted, so when they found her in the woods it was quite a shock.

http://thue.stanford.edu/jacquie/minna/

however, in leah's case, they already looked far & wide, and found no body...

strange they never found the kitten... did it just get loose & then perish in the woods? or they never found any food receipts... what/where was she eating? that could have offered some clues.. unless due to her mental state, she *wasn't* eating...

any other ideas?

Maybe she was not in the car when it crashed. Maybe she put it in gear and it rolled down the embankment. But, that does not explain the blankets in the windshield, unless that was also staged. It would explain why the kitty was not in the car too, although that would mean she had another carrier to put it in. I would check to see if she had bought another cat carrier prior to leaving for her trip. I don't know if it was Jack Keroac, but I remember reading about someone who got rid of all their belongings and lived off the land for awhile. I hope she turns up some where.

Originally by HollywoodBound

The note she left for her roommate was found after they reported her missing.
Some questions: Was the money she mentioned in the note found with the it? Where was it found and why wasn't it found right away? When was she reported missing?

Some thoughts: She may have become lost in the forest and never made it back to her car. And I think that the weather up there is not great in March if you are out in the elements alone. But she may have also simply walked away from her car if she wrecked it.

I hope that she is alive - it is definitely a possibility.

it is possible... but seems more & more unlikely (sadly)... considering it's been almost 7 years. if she was alive, you'd think someone, somewhere would have seen or identified her by now-- unless she hitchhiked to canada or alaska & is in some small town hiding somewhere (and she had no reason to hide, really)... or totally lost her mind, is now homeless & unrecognizable. it seems more likely that her mental instability (which everything points to) may have impaired her judgement & put her in danger. apparently, predators target young women who are alone, lost & confused.

but of course it would be great if she did turn up alive.. you just never know.

mattsmom said:
Some questions: Was the money she mentioned in the note found with the it? Where was it found and why wasn't it found right away? When was she reported missing?
In the note it said 'this is to cover bills for while I am gone' so I would assume the money was with the note.
She's reported missing on March 13th and the note found the next day March 14th. The car is found on March 18th down the embankment.
This was not a regular road she drove off of. It was a logging road. I'm not sure if that is important or not but it seems to me that someone could wait hours before a car passes on a logging road.
Can anyone infer why she took the cat and if she had plans not to return would she still take the cat or leave it?
On the note she drew a Cheshire cat which is significant because the Cheshire cat is fictional and tends to point out philosophical things.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheshire_Cat
It sounds like she is in deep thought on this trip but taking the cat and then not finding it is significant I think.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back