TX - Lisa Lewis, 44, killed by 12yo son driving van, Humble, 10 Oct 2006

ajc2804

Reaction score
HUMBLE, Texas -- A mother was killed by the family van being driven by her 12-year-old son.

The boy crashed the van through a dental office wall on Tuesday, killing his mother and injuring two others, authorities said.

Lisa Lewis was standing outside the Monarch Dental Associates office in Humble, Texas, when she was killed.

Officials said Lewis had just finished her dental appointment shortly after 2 p.m. and let her two sons, a 12-year-old boy and his 17-year-old brother, get their van so she would not get wet from the rain, Houston TV station KPRC reported.

The mother was outside talking with two office employees.

"They went out to get the van to bring it closer to get mom out of the rain. Instead of the 17-year-old driving the van, the 12-year-old was behind the wheel. When mom noticed it, she was waving her hands, like, 'What are you doing?' And speculation is that the boy panicked. Instead of hitting the brake, he hit the accelerator," said Johnnie Ray Scroggins, Humble spokesman.

The crash pushed his mother through the glass wall and injured two dental workers in the office reception area. The workers are hospitalized in critical but stable condition. They are expected to recover.

"I couldn't believe what I saw. Next thing I knew was he backed out and hit something backing out. I heard a scream," witness Mark Rabinovitch said.

There were no reports of injuries to either of the two boys.

http://www.wjactv.com/mostpopular/10048183/detail.html

Th reason the 17th year old was not driving and a 12 year old would be because......

These boys are "going" to have to live with this everyday of their lives. i can't imagine how they feel right now, this is tragic and preventable.

The 17 year old is old enough to drive and probably does... I'm sure she trusted him to get the car and had no idea that the 12 year would be driving... This is so sad and I feel for the boys as well... They didn't intend to kill their mother.. :( :(

PaperDoll said:
The 17 year old is old enough to drive and probably does... I'm sure she trusted him to get the car and had no idea that the 12 year would be driving... This is so sad and I feel for the boys as well... They didn't intend to kill their mother.. :( :(

Exactly. It's not the mother's fault at ALL. What was the 17-yr-old thinking, letting the 12-yr-old drive?????? I feel horrible for their family...the boys will have to live with this forever.

englishleigh said:
Exactly. It's not the mother's fault at ALL. What was the 17-yr-old thinking, letting the 12-yr-old drive?????? I feel horrible for their family...the boys will have to live with this forever.

I know. this is so sad.. Even for the 17 year old.. Heck, we all do stupid things and unfortunately this one ended in a death.. :( :(

How can anyone blame the mother. It is pretty common practice for parents of new drivers to give their of-age kids extra practice at the wheel. Fetching the car is a perfect example. It is a shame that she died due to the desire not to get wet, but it was hardly something she could foresee. Have some compassion!

Cypros said:
How can anyone blame the mother. It is pretty common practice for parents of new drivers to give their of-age kids extra practice at the wheel. Fetching the car is a perfect example. It is a shame that she died due to the desire not to get wet, but it was hardly something she could foresee. Have some compassion!

I agree... Good grief, if she knew she was going to die, she would have gotten wet.. Heck, there are times I let hubby get the car for me so I don't have to get wet..

I heard on the news this morning that the DA's office is deciding whether or not to file charges. I certainly hope not. This was a tragic accident, not a crime. This young boy will have to live with this for the rest of his life.

jannuncutt said:
Are you blaming her?
I didn't take this comment as a blame. I also thought that in hindsight it would have been better to get wet than to end up dead.

It says she "let" her boys get the van which doesn't mean she said go get it so I won't get wet. The 17 is probably tasting his freedom being able to drive and offered. I know several teens who would have done exactly that (except for letting the 12 year old drive) for their moms.

Malapoo said:
It says she "let" her boys get the van which doesn't mean she said go get it so I won't get wet. The 17 is probably tasting his freedom being able to drive and offered. I know several teens who would have done exactly that (except for letting the 12 year old drive) for their moms.
...or she could have asked her boys to get her umbrella from the van for her. Instead, they thought they would surprise her by pulling up to get her. It's hard to say what actually happened.

nanandjim said:
...or she could have asked her boys to get her umbrella from the van for her. Instead, they thought they would surprise her by pulling up to get her. It's hard to say what actually happened.
.....or, she could have run to the van in pouring rain and slipped and fell on the wet pavement while trying to get into the driver's seat, and gotten run over by oncoming traffic.:rolleyes:

As I said above already I'm not blaming the mom. I'm not blaming the mom. I'm not blaming the mom.

I'm not blaming the mom.

But...usually when a parent is giving their child extra practice behind the wheel, they'll be alongside in the CAR with them directing them what to do and what not to do.

The older brother probably thought he was being the cooler older brother and letting the 12 year old get behind the wheel, or he thought maybe it would be a funny joke to play on the mom when they pulled up to pick her up.

Paladin said:
As I said above already I'm not blaming the mom. I'm not blaming the mom. I'm not blaming the mom.

I'm not blaming the mom.

But...usually when a parent is giving their child extra practice behind the wheel, they'll be alongside in the CAR with them directing them what to do and what not to do.

The older brother probably thought he was being the cooler older brother and letting the 12 year old get behind the wheel, or he thought maybe it would be a funny joke to play on the mom when they pulled up to pick her up.
So, are you blaming the mom? :waitasec:

Most 17 years where I live already have their license.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back