Air Force Memorial

scandi

Reaction score

The Air Force Memorial, what a sight! The design, replicating the maneuver of the upward burst of air force jets flying straight up together and fanning outwards into the wild blue yonder, just has to make one proud to be an American. Defending freedom in the skies above.

I only got to see a bit of the flyover, but seeing those incredible planes coming from the horizon and flying over the memorial was really something to see. One was the B52 bomber, which wasn't anything like I thought it would look like. It had a very thin profile which almost makes it invisible to radar and the eye and a shape like a big W all filled in. Don't know how to properly describe it.

Does anyone know about these planes. I thought the B52 was a plump, stodgy looking plane, not like a swept wing delta.

http://www.airforcememorial.org/

Scandi

Hi Martha,

Me too! :p I just learned it was 14 years from concept to completion. And the formation it replicates is the bomb-burst maneuver performed by the Air Force Thunderbirds. They did that maneuver today and I would love to have seen it. Unfortunately N Korea and it's being sanctioned by the UN has dominated the air waves this morning.

Scandi

Who would have thought I'd run across AF memorial info here! My father was in the USAF and would just love this memorial if he were with us today. Now we and the grandkids have another place to visit to honor him.

The memorial is beautiful-especially the night skyline pic at that site.

Thanks for the link!

My father was Airforce and was killed in Vietnam. I am so happy they now have an Air Force memorial in DC. I will be there next month and will definitely make a visit.

From the photos I have seen it is a beautiful memorial -- what a great design!

I love it too, My 2nd hubby was in the Air Force and he was very proud to serve. He was a tenor and so taught singing to Korean children and ministered at a church on the base.

I did see a replay of the Thunderbirds doing the burst maneuver that day, and they shoot up just like the spires are and then fall out and downward so it does look like a huge fireworks in the sky. Neato!

Scandi

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288