KY - Kaylynn Gaddie, 18 mos, beaten to death, Louisville, 8 Dec 2004

mum33004

Reaction score
Man Pleads Guilty To Fatally Beating Toddler, Dumping Her Body

(LOUISVILLE) -- There was a major development Tuesday in the brutal death of a young Louisville girl. Her mom's boyfriend, Shawn Michael Shaw, was supposed to be watching her the toddler, but instead he beat her and hid the body. Shaw pleaded guilty on Tuesday. WAVE 3's David McArthur was there.

At just 18 months old, Kaylynn Gaddie had here whole life ahead of her. Until she was left in the care of Shawn Michael Shaw.

Shaw pleaded guilty Tuesday to beating Kaylynn in the head and face, causing her death. A family member witnessed at least part of the beating in December of 2004.

Shaw was the boyfriend of Kaylynn's mom.

The family says the mother was unaware that Shaw has a long history of trouble with the law, including drug, assault, and domestic abuse charges.

Shaw also admitted removing Kaylynn's clothes, placing her body in a trash bag and dumping it in the Jefferson Memorial Forest.

In exchange for his guilty plea, prosecutors agreed to recommend a 38-year sentence. Along with other charges and previous convictions, Shaw could be sentenced to up to 50 years, meaning Shaw would be 85 before being released if he serves all his time.

The final sentence is up to the judge, who could increase or decrease the amount of time at a formal sentencing hearing set for December 18th.

ANYONE WHO HURTS CHILDREN IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM SHOULD BE AUTOMATICALLY SENTENCED TO DEATHROW.

mum33004 said:

ANYONE WHO HURTS CHILDREN IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM SHOULD BE AUTOMATICALLY SENTENCED TO DEATHROW.
The death row system doesn't work. It should be reformed. Bring anyone with the aformentioned charge to me, personally, and I will see to it that it actually IS a deterrant to further crime. I'll get the domain name
www. hurtkids and you will be screaming in agony for months.com and people will watch it live. The true reality tv.

Okay, sorry folks, I just pictured this crime in my head and this is the plan I've formed from it. :)

GlitchWizard said:
The death row system doesn't work. It should be reformed. Bring anyone with the aformentioned charge to me, personally, and I will see to it that it actually IS a deterrant to further crime. I'll get the domain name
www. hurtkids and you will be screaming in agony for months.com and people will watch it live. The true reality tv.

Okay, sorry folks, I just pictured this crime in my head and this is the plan I've formed from it. :)
Sounds like a winner to me.

mum33004 said:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 STRIKE RULE!!!! NO EXCEPTIONS. NO TIME WAITING TO DIE, AS SOON AS THEY ARE CONVICTED, BARD OF COURSE, THEY SHOULD BE TORTURED OR SHOT.

christine2448 said:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 STRIKE RULE!!!! NO EXCEPTIONS. NO TIME WAITING TO DIE, AS SOON AS THEY ARE CONVICTED, BARD OF COURSE, THEY SHOULD BE TORTURED OR SHOT.
So we become just like them....great solution! (If there was an icon for tongue-in-cheek, I'd place it here.)

And don't tell me "well, they started it" - that doesn't fly on the playground with mature adults and it shouldn't fly in our society.

My prayers to the victims of this sad crime.

So I guess we just sit back and let all these kids continue to get murdered while we put there killers up in a place with shelter, food 3x a day the ability to live out the rest of there life playing cards and serving 6 mths for killing an innocent child. Then they are released to do it once again and still get no time. While I agree that we all just can't go out and do something to these people on our own I do think more should be done. Because whatever they are doing now isn't working.

southcitymom said:
So we become just like them....great solution! (If there was an icon for tongue-in-cheek, I'd place it here.)

And don't tell me "well, they started it" - that doesn't fly on the playground with mature adults and it shouldn't fly in our society.

My prayers to the victims of this sad crime.
I don't understand your point, we become just like them? Killing them isn't molesting them, raping them, mental abuse, etc etc.

I am a DP supporter, and My Opinion is, that anyone that hurts a child in anyway should be killed. That would IMO likely bring the crime rate against our precious children way down.

I guess your solution is lock 'em up and support them..3 squares a day and a roof over their head, all the sex w/other inmates they want....yep, that's the answer. If not, what do you think the answer is? What should the penalty be for these pigs that molest, rape, mentally abuse, kill, etc, our children?

I'm sorry if you disagree with my opinion, but, that's how I feel. As a survivor, if the first time my abuser was caught if he was put to death, many more would not have had to suffer, including me!

Again, I ask, if my solution is a crock, tell me what yours is? I'm willing to listen and my mind can be changed. You critisize my opinion, but you offer no alternative.

christine2448 said:
I don't understand your point, we become just like them? Killing them isn't molesting them, raping them, mental abuse, etc etc.

I am a DP supporter, and My Opinion is, that anyone that hurts a child in anyway should be killed. That would IMO likely bring the crime rate against our precious children way down.

I guess your solution is lock 'em up and support them..3 squares a day and a roof over their head, all the sex w/other inmates they want....yep, that's the answer. If not, what do you think the answer is? What should the penalty be for these pigs that molest, rape, mentally abuse, kill, etc, our children?

I'm sorry if you disagree with my opinion, but, that's how I feel. As a survivor, if the first time my abuser was caught if he was put to death, many more would not have had to suffer, including me!

Again, I ask, if my solution is a crock, tell me what yours is? I'm willing to listen and my mind can be changed. You critisize my opinion, but you offer no alternative.
You suggested "they" be tortured. Abuse and molestation are forms of torture. To torture "them" is to become like "them".

southcitymom said:
You suggested "they" be tortured. Abuse and molestation are forms of torture. To torture "them" is to become like "them".
OK, well take the torture part away, sorry, I got a bit carried away, I apologize.....just kill them.

christine2448 said:
OK, well take the torture part away, sorry, I got a bit carried away, I apologize.....just kill them.

There you go. We don't keep rabid dogs in kennels.

A man charged with murdering a Louisville toddler and dumping her body in Jefferson Memorial Forest last week should have been in prison, according to relatives of the 18-month-old.

Shawn Michael Shaw, 29, was to be sentenced Sept. 21 in Jefferson Circuit Court after being pleading guilty to drug charges. But Shaw, whose girlfriend is the child's mother, didn't show up for sentencing despite having agreed to a 12-year term.

Louisville Metro Police admitted yesterday that they failed to serve three warrants issued by the court for Shaw's arrest, explaining that the drug warrants were not high enough on a priority list to get immediate attention.

That frustrated and angered the family of Kaylynn Alicia Shelby Gaddie, whom they called Sissy.

"There's nobody who slips through the system as much as this," said James Barr, Kaylynn's greatuncle who kept the toddler regularly, as he thumbed through a copy of Shaw's 14-page court record. "There's no way he should have been out."

http://www.courier-journal.com/localnews/2004/12/14ky/A1-fugitive1214-6063.html

christine2448 said:
I know a lot of people vent here like that, sometimes it's just difficult for me to read.

I am sorry to hear that you are a survivor of childhood abuse. I have many close friends (including my sister and husband) who are survivors and I know that recovering from that is a lifelong process.

I don't have any super strong feelings about the death penalty - I can make persuasive arguments to myself for pro or con. If I HAD to make a choice, I would fall into the con category just because I've never seen a situation that was made better by MORE killing.

I don't have any Nobel-prize worthy solutions. I believe in genuine life without parole. I don't mind "paying" to keep someone behind bars for life. I just see that as one of the "costs of doing business" to live as safely as possible in a free society.

I'm one of those Websleuthers who feel sorrow for the victim and the perpatrator when I read about a crime like this. I cannot imagine how dark a place a person must live in to harm a child and I feel compassion for anyone who lives in that place.

THe mother should be charged right along side of him.
She was no winner either she waited to report her daughter missing because she was worried about protecting her own collective a$$ because she had a warrant for her arrest.

These people are dirt balls. What the heck was she doing leaving her daughter with her criminal boyfriend??
ANd the family member who saw him hit the child "3 times in the car"
Why the hell didn't they call the police then and there????

THis poor child was just not valued by any of them.

christine2448 said:
There is no use for these animals. Just locking them up for a number of years & letting them out to hurt more children is pathetic. They are poor excuses for human beings. Trying to rehabilitate them is also pathetic. How in the world can a monster like that be "cured"? There is no cure. They are wasting space in this world. They should be killed.

You are so right Amra. I think she had to know his criminal background and she was only thinking of herself, not her child. I see she had a habit of leaving her daughter with males (Great Uncles says he kept her often).

Any abuse should be reported immediately. The one who saw that should be charged as well for not reporting.

southcitymom said:
I know a lot of people vent here like that, sometimes it's just difficult for me to read.

I am sorry to hear that you are a survivor of childhood abuse. I have many close friends (including my sister and husband) who are survivors and I know that recovering from that is a lifelong process.

I don't have any super strong feelings about the death penalty - I can make persuasive arguments to myself for pro or con. If I HAD to make a choice, I would fall into the con category just because I've never seen a situation that was made better by MORE killing.

I don't have any Nobel-prize worthy solutions. I believe in genuine life without parole. I don't mind "paying" to keep someone behind bars for life. I just see that as one of the "costs of doing business" to live as safely as possible in a free society.

I'm one of those Websleuthers who feel sorrow for the victim and the perpatrator when I read about a crime like this. I cannot imagine how dark a place a person must live in to harm a child and I feel compassion for anyone who lives in that place.
You are a good person. :blowkiss:

SewingDeb said:
A man charged with murdering a Louisville toddler and dumping her body in Jefferson Memorial Forest last week should have been in prison, according to relatives of the 18-month-old.

Shawn Michael Shaw, 29, was to be sentenced Sept. 21 in Jefferson Circuit Court after being pleading guilty to drug charges. But Shaw, whose girlfriend is the child's mother, didn't show up for sentencing despite having agreed to a 12-year term.

Louisville Metro Police admitted yesterday that they failed to serve three warrants issued by the court for Shaw's arrest, explaining that the drug warrants were not high enough on a priority list to get immediate attention.

That frustrated and angered the family of Kaylynn Alicia Shelby Gaddie, whom they called Sissy.

"There's nobody who slips through the system as much as this," said James Barr, Kaylynn's greatuncle who kept the toddler regularly, as he thumbed through a copy of Shaw's 14-page court record. "There's no way he should have been out."

http://www.courier-journal.com/localnews/2004/12/14ky/A1-fugitive1214-6063.html
FAILED TO SERVE 3 WARRANTS????? NOT A HIGH ENOUGH PRIORITY????????AND NOW A BABY IS DEAD? LORD HAVE MERCY!!!! THIS MAKES ME SICK!!!
The only consolation is that that PRECIOUS LITTLE GIRL IS IN THE LORD'S ARMS NOW!

mum33004 said:
FAILED TO SERVE 3 WARRANTS????? NOT A HIGH ENOUGH PRIORITY????????AND NOW A BABY IS DEAD? LORD HAVE MERCY!!!! THIS MAKES ME SICK!!!
The only consolation is that that PRECIOUS LITTLE GIRL IS IN THE LORD'S ARMS NOW!

They took a long time to put out the warrant on him for walking away from the halfway house...from June 6th til the 24th, iirc. He just wasn't high priority. I guess he is now.

:banghead: :banghead: :furious: What is it with all these women who just hapharzardly leave their babies with "boyfriends"? This just makes me sick. Don't they have mothers, sisters, girlfriends or someone else to leave their precious babies with? It just makes me so mad everytime I hear about a precious life brutally taken away by a boyfriend of the mother.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back