Sex Offender Loop Holes

mindi77

Love your children....
Reaction score
Last night I was watching the local new and they had a story where this women said that this man that lives near her and is a registered sex offender has been at lots of school funtions inside of the school. So she called the local police and told them and they told her that this was an unfortunate loop hole.

While they are not allowed to live 1000ft from the school that doesn't mean they cannot be in the school.....I was like what? :doh:

I tried looking for it on the website of the news I watched but couldn't find a link.
It was either whio.com or wdtn.com maybe some better sleuthers can find it.

I think that this is a huge loop hole, they can't live near the school but they can be inside of it....it just doesn't even make sense to me....

I will still look for a link but if any one else gets a link please post it.....thanks

...some type of verbiage in their orders when they are released that state that they cannot be in venues that are primarily for young children such as schools and so on.

The stock phrase "sex offender loophole" usually refers to the situation whereby offenders who committed crimes before the sex offender legislation was enacted do not have to register or be tracked by law enforcement. Most states are working on fixing those so that anyone convicted of a sex crime at any time would have to register.

...perhaps you are confusing these two things?

We had a guy on our block who has since moved (THANK GOD), who not only was convicted before the registry legislation, but also changed his last name by one letter, so that people looking info. up on him would not find it... :furious:

cappuccina said:
...some type of verbiage in their orders when they are released that state that they cannot be in venues that are primarily for young children such as schools and so on.

The stock phrase "sex offender loophole" usually refers to the situation whereby offenders who committed crimes before the sex offender legislation was enacted do not have to register or be tracked by law enforcement. Most states are working on fixing those so that anyone convicted of a sex crime at any time would have to register.

...perhaps you are confusing these two things?

We had a guy on our block who has since moved (THANK GOD), who not only was convicted before the registry legislation, but also changed his last name by one letter, so that people looking info. up on him would not find it... :furious:

I would be furious also

No I am not confusing it, that is what they called it on the news. He is on the registry, 3 different sex charges and that is why they were doing this on the news. The lady saw him on the registry and then saw him a few times at the school. The police officer they spoke with said that this is a loop hole where as long as he lives 1000ft away that being there isn't against the law. I still am trying to find a link

hmm, how did he get inside the school without breaking the 1000 foot rule?

magical teleportation?

Mira said:
hmm, how did he get inside the school without breaking the 1000 foot rule?

magical teleportation?
He can't live within 1000ft of the school, doesn't mean he can't be within that radius. :crazy:

Jacobi said:
He can't live within 1000ft of the school, doesn't mean he can't be within that radius. :crazy:
(smartass remark warning)

soo...was he not living? not much danger from dead guys, so i guess its ok...

seriously, anything being done about this loophole?

Weirdly enough I didn't make the laws so I don't know why it is like that. I wanted to tell you guys because when I was watching the news I was floored by this. The women who they were talking to said she was trying to get petitions signed and all that. I really wish I could find the link or at least the video they showed last night. It sure as hell didn't make sense to me either, I mean he can't live within 1000ft but can be in there.

so a sex offender can sit in a parked car outside of a school all day long then. sure makes you feel safe.

yeah I know, that's what makes me mad. so it's ok if they walk right in to the school just as long as they don't live by it. I thought they just weren't allowed around these places. I was saying last night after I watched that on the news that if I were that mother and nothing had been done about it then the next time we were at the school I would point him out and in a not so quiet voice would inform my child to stay away from that man. I can't believe that this is possible. Hopefully there is a big stink about this and that gets changed.

Hi Mindi,

This was on our news on friday.Here are the transcripts;

link

17} GOVERNORS_PKG ((tape 716 tc 18:30 Douglas: Whether or not they've successfully gone through sex offender treatment the state will have no control over where they live or what they do with their lives. So I think it's important to provide the protection that a civil confinement law will do.))

And we need to look very carefully at any proposal for civil commitments - what does it really cost - who does it really affect and does it really work?)) ((tape 716 tc 19:11 Douglas: There's no question it's a small number of inmates who would be released and be subject to civil confinement but what's the cost of protecting our kids? Whats the cost of protecting our schools our neighborhoods? Our families? I beleive it is the responsibility of government to provide that public protection no matter the cost.))

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Just my opinion;

Those offenders should not be allowed to live,visit or work in or by any places where children are gathered.IE;
YMCA,Youth Centers,4-H clubs,Amusment Parks,public pools and parks,beaches,prison visiting rooms,ect.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

dark_shadows said:
Just my opinion;

Those offenders should not be allowed to live,visit or work in or by any places where children are gathered.IE;
YMCA,Youth Centers,4-H clubs,Amusment Parks,public pools and parks,beaches,prison visiting rooms,ect.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

I agree completely, they should have no access to children what so ever and if someone allows them that ability they should be held accountable.

dark_shadows said:
Hi Mindi,

This was on our news on friday.Here are the transcripts;

link

17} GOVERNORS_PKG ((tape 716 tc 18:30 Douglas: Whether or not they've successfully gone through sex offender treatment the state will have no control over where they live or what they do with their lives. So I think it's important to provide the protection that a civil confinement law will do.))

And we need to look very carefully at any proposal for civil commitments - what does it really cost - who does it really affect and does it really work?)) ((tape 716 tc 19:11 Douglas: There's no question it's a small number of inmates who would be released and be subject to civil confinement but what's the cost of protecting our kids? Whats the cost of protecting our schools our neighborhoods? Our families? I beleive it is the responsibility of government to provide that public protection no matter the cost.))

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

I couldn't help but notice the little snippet about going through sexual offender treatment, like doing that to children is some sort of disease or sickness instead of a deviant evil crime. As long as terms, ideas, and opinions are around like this, there will be very little progress towards ridding the U.S. of child sex offenders. They are labeled as "ill", don't have to do much jail time (if any at all), can live where they want, and have all sorts of weirdos defending them very subtly. Every single time that I read quotes or links on the forums about child sex offenders I am so offended by the wording and terms that are used by the media, so-called experts, and judges. It's just almost unbelieveable.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back