Rock Hall of Fame names nominees for `07

Dark Knight

Reaction score

Rock Hall of Fame names nominees for `07

David Bauder

(AP) Van Halen is trying to make their biggest "jump" yet — into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, with potential 2007 classmates such as R.E.M., Chic, and Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five.

All are among the nine nominees for enshrinement in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland. A panel of 500 industry experts will select five to be inducted at the annual ceremony, to be held March 12 in New York City.

Other nominees include Patti Smith, the punk rock poet who recently presided over the closing of New York's legendary CBGB nightclub; British invader the Dave Clark Five; Phil Spector favorites the Ronettes; soul singer Joe Tex; and the Stooges, early home of Iggy Pop.

___

On the Net: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: http://www.rockhall.com/

http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/12175839

http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/12175839

Chic? Are you kidding me? REM absolutely. Grandmaster Falsh and Furious Five, I've never heard of them.

I'm glad Van Halen has been included. While they haven't had anyone that was very good on vocals (David Lee Roth was entertaining though) their music was always good. I still consider Eddie Van Halen one of the best guitariests ever.

lizzybeth said:
Chic? Are you kidding me? REM absolutely. Grandmaster Falsh and Furious Five, I've never heard of them.

I'm glad Van Halen has been included. While they haven't had anyone that was very good on vocals (David Lee Roth was entertaining though) their music was always good. I still consider Eddie Van Halen one of the best guitariests ever.
I have no idea who Chic is, lol! I've heard of Grandmaster Flash, he is very much a pioneer of the genre.

I assume they nominated the David Lee Roth version of VH. The other singers would have come along too soon for nomination. If that's the route they take, can they be re-nominated when their Hagar years are 25 years old??? Or do ALL the lead singers get in with the band?

An individual can be inducted multiple times with different groups, I know. (See: Clapton, Eric.)

Chic? La freak! wasn't that their one hit wonder single in the disco era??
I wish we could vote on this. Van Halen deserves it though i've never bought one album. Eddie van Halen is the hottest guitarist. He really does rank up there for me. No where near Page, Hendrix, but def one of the best.

Great item, thanks for posting it.
oh yeah, God has blessed me today and I ain't afraid to say it!!
So take THAT narla.
it's all in love girl, don't get your nickers ina twist.

you keep spreading the gospel DK. Somebody's toes are bound to get stepped on.

peace
kk

Dark Knight said:
I have no idea who Chic is, lol!
70's disco/funk band, sang such wonderful tunes as Good Times, these are the good times and ahhhhh Freak Out, aka La Freak! Nile Rodgers was a member of this band,

http://www.amazon.com/Very-Best-Chic/dp/B00004R5ZR

I liked REM before everyone knew them, then they went all mainstream. Use to go see them in some real dives in the 80's in Georgia and south Alabama.

I'm already geared up for Stevie Ray Vaughan, he's on the list for 2008! Yippee!

wannabesleuthkk said:
I wish we could vote on this. Van Halen deserves it though i've never bought one album. Eddie van Halen is the hottest guitarist. He really does rank up there for me. No where near Page, Hendrix, but def one of the best.

So take THAT narla.

peace
kk
What?
lol
I'm not the only one who doesn't appreciate DK's Godboy stuff all over the board, I am just the only one who mentions it :D

Sham on Godboy :p

Van Halen?
They are so not in REM's league!

I agree that REM is above and beyond Van Halen. I bought REM albums.
I also saw them around athens,GA before they were mainstream. As well as the B52's.
Stevie Ray BETTER make it!

Love and kisses, Narla, I just wanted to see if you were awake.
You are.
I'm just teasin.

kk

wannabesleuthkk said:

So take THAT narla.

peace
kk
Thanks, kk, lol!

I have no problem considering Eddie as the greatest ever, due to his innovation and influence as well as creativity and, obviously, talent. Although Hendrix himself said that Jeff Bleck blew him out of the water, talent-wise.

And yeah, now I remember Chic!!!! LOL! I cannot imagine them in the Rock Hall!!!!

I would put Van Halen ahead of REM, but both should make it in this year, I think. I also think Patty Smith is worthy and the Dave Clark Five.

wannabesleuthkk said:
I also saw them around athens,GA before they were mainstream. As well as the B52's.

You are.
I'm just teasin.

kk
:blowkiss:
Yep, I'm awake, another day unfolds here in Oz.

Tease away Wannabe, I'm good for it, god knows I do enough teasing myself around here.

Well,Chic belongs in the Disco Hall Of Fame,not rock--although I did like their last song You're So Fine(To Me)(1980)---also agree that while Eddie Van Halen was an excellent guitarist,he is generally not seen as the equal of Jimmy Page,Hendrix,or Clapton----surprised the Dave Clark Five is not in the Hall Of Fame yet--my rock history book shows they had a lot of top ten hits from 1964 to 1967,a seminal period in rock history

wannabesleuthkk said:

You are.
I'm just teasin.

kk
WHAT? Stevie Ray is not already in the Hall of Fame? I really don't keep up with that, but for sure I thought he was already a member.

Patti Smith deserves to be inducted after being nominated seven times in a row!

Jacobi said:
Patti Smith deserves to be inducted after being nominated seven times in a row!

wow, i was getting ready to post the same thing, although until now, i didn't realize she's been nominated 7 times!...lol, we must have a tad bit in common, as far as musical taste goes....cool

she definately deserves it, imo.....

SadieMae said:
WHAT? Stevie Ray is not already in the Hall of Fame? I really don't keep up with that, but for sure I thought he was already a member.
He's in the Blues Hall of Fame. Good, but not the golden prize. We'll be pushing, he IS up there with Hendrix, Clapton and way better than Eddie :)

I am shocked by the lack of Eddie love!!! He is an extraordinary talent that influenced a generation and was inventive, creating finger taps, etc. Poor Eddie.

Dark Knight said:
I am shocked by the lack of Eddie love!!! He is an extraordinary talent that influenced a generation and was inventive, creating finger taps, etc. Poor Eddie.

i'll agree w/you on that....

lizzybeth said:

lol, i really don't recognize anyone in this post, except REM...i liked them way back, & then kinda lost interest, ALTHOUGH i did/do love the tune Everybody Hurts??...Everyone Hurts??...jeezzz, i can't think....

oh, & i also agree that Eddie Van Halen is a great guitarist

all kinds of interesting things 'here' tonight:)

close_enough said:
lol, i really don't recognize anyone in this post, except REM...i liked them way back, & then kinda lost interest, ALTHOUGH i did/do love the tune Everybody Hurts??...Everyone Hurts??...jeezzz, i can't think....

oh, & i also agree that Eddie Van Halen is a great guitarist

all kinds of interesting things 'here' tonight:)

ok....i found the song, so i felt i needed to 'quote' my post...lol

it's not Eddie Van Halen...it's REM :)
...it's the tune i was talking about above....ok, a lil depressing, but so beautiful & uplifting, imo...REM's older stuff was better though...i do agreew/that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2vyYHFO7jg

I miss REM. I can't remember the last time they had anything new. I remember the first I ever heard of them was on MTV. The video was for It's the end of the World as We know it (that might not be the correct title but you know what I mean). I loved that video.

Does anyone know exactly what the criteria is for being in the Hall of Fame? Is it number of years plus number of hits, etc?

I *think* (already in the danger zone!) that the only hard criteria is 25 years since one's debut recording. The rest is subjective and left up to the voters (whoever they are).

Been a fan of REM since Radio Free Europe days, so they're a no-brainer.

Though getting back to the previous question, it seems apparent that "how popular"/"how many gold records" play no small part in the selection process. Exhibit A being that Patti Smith was not elected her first year eligible. Someone that profoundly influential (to say nothing of good) not being included so far falls somewhere between pathetic and insulting, IMO...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305
Back