GUILTY CA - Terry Shields for sex abuse, child *advertiser censored*, Bellflower, 2006

txsvicki

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
http://www.presstelegram.com/news/ci_4583505

More info sought in child *advertiser censored* case
Sheriff's Dept. asks public for help in locating other victims.
By Samantha Gonzaga, Staff writer
Article Launched:10/31/2006 11:09:08 PM PST

MONTEREY PARK - The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department on Tuesday asked for the public's help in locating additional victims of an Anaheim man arrested last month when employees at a Bellflower Internet cafe caught him allegedly downloading child *advertiser censored*.
Detectives are continuing their investigation of Terry Lee Shields, 51, who was taken into custody Oct. 4. The former school bus driver is facing multiple life sentences if convicted on charges of child kidnapping, rape, forced oral copulation, lewd acts with a child and possession and production of child *advertiser censored*, said Det. Bryan Sirkel of the Sheriff Department's Special Victims Bureau.

"He is by far the scariest guy" his bureau has investigated, Sirkel said.

Shields was scheduled to make an appearance today at the Bellflower Courthouse for a preliminary hearing.

In the course of their investigation, detectives interviewed four of Shields' victims - young girls between 7 and 14. The youngest said that Shields allegedly kidnapped her and took her to an unknown location where he raped her and took photographs of her afterwards, Sirkel said.

Detectives believe that Shields used his job as a school bus driver to gain the trust

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
of children and their parents.
During their search, detectives discovered video surveillance equipment Shields allegedly put to use recording young girls playing at amusement and recreation parks, Sirkel said.

Shields also allegedly produced his own *advertiser censored*, Sirkel said. About 10,000 sexually graphic images - a collection of *advertiser censored* he produced and downloaded from the Internet - were found in his computer hard drive and floppy and computer discs.

Sirkel said Shields didn't stick to a certain profile in his victims, although he had a tendency to target girls between 7 and 14. In 1996, Shields was acquitted on a misdemeanor crime for child annoyance. A young girl reported him to local law enforcement after he allegedly approached her.

Anyone with information about Terry Lee Shields is urged to contact the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department's Special Victims Bureau hotline at (866) 247-5877.

Samantha Gonzaga can be reached at samantha.gonzaga@presstelegram.com or (562) 499-1284.

OMG I am so thankful he is in custody, the dirty slimeball! Hope they prepare the case wisely so this dildo doesn't escape true Justice.

BTW, I always capitalize the word Justice as it is sooooo important. It won't make up for the tragedy these kids have endured, but it is a start in the right direction.

Scandi

My neice was sexually molested by her school bus driver. She was the last to get off the bus, so she was alone with him for awhile. He gained her trust, and eventually she ended up sitting on his lap while he "let her drive". This is when he fondeled her. The guy ended up getting off. He's probably still driving buses in NY.

"Lollipop" Molester Convicted After Young Victims Recount Horrific Attacks
One girl told investigators that Terry Shields tried to get her to drink beer and Nyquil before putting her in suggestive poses for photographs, then raped her.

SANTA ANA - A former Los Alamitos Unified School District bus driver was convicted today of molesting three girls, including two sisters he babysat.

Terry Lee Shields, who was convicted of 15 criminal counts for molesting the girls -- aged 4, 7 and 11 -- and possessing child *advertiser censored*, shouted, "You're wrong" as jurors left the Santa Ana courtroom after the verdict was read.

Shields, 54, showed no reaction as he sat in a wheelchair listening to the judge read off the guilty verdicts.

He faces 207 years and eight months to life in prison when he is sentenced Dec. 24 by Orange County Superior Court Judge Kazuharu Makino.

Defense attorney Gassia Apkarian contended the case against her client was largely circumstantial, although she conceded he possessed child *advertiser censored*.

The more than 2,000 photos made her defense difficult, she said.

"It's very hard to overcome photos matched with the individuals in it," she said.

more here

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-bus-molester,0,3387372.story

One more s/b going away for a long, long, time.

Possibly O/T but I don't think totally. About a month after our kids disclosed, their special ed school bus driver changed. My gut reaction to him was negative. I talked to some teachers and they felt the same way. No one could figure out where he came from as there was a small core of drivers. We kept getting weird reports from the kids that he wanted them to tell him about the abuses. He gave them candy and drove them "special" ways home. Then, came the day that he bought one of our kids an expensive pair of hockey skates simply because this special needs boy said he liked hockey--he couldn't even skate. I was getting more and more bothered.

Then, one afternoon, we were with several of the kids at the Children's Advocacy Center for therapy trauma assessment therapy when our older daughter called us on our cell to tell us that one of the boys was 45 minutes late on the bus. The CAC called 911 and we raced home. It turned out that the driver decided to drive our son around our town dropping off other students--totally out of compliance with the schedule. He had stopped on a dead end street just to talk to our son for 15 minutes. He apologized.

We called a meeting with the school administrators and I'll never ever forget what was said by the superintendent. He said that if "anyone thought that M was a bad guy, there was something wrong with them. If any child said that M did anything to them, they were lying". The DA and we asked how he knew this and he replied, "This man is a teddy bear. He's a personal friend of mine. It's out of the goodness of his heart that he's volunteering to drive a bus for special needs kids. He's even flying us up to Salem for school meetings at his own expense. He's a gem." For God's sake, the man had never been background checked and this is a town of 20,000 with a high school, middle school, and five elementary schools at the time. He was driving children with autism, DD, and our 8 year old daughter who is deaf. Oh, I was not happy.

Our jaws dropped. I remember looking over at M (a nice looking man in his 50s) and saying that one of two things was going on. I told him that he was either being inappropriate with children and taking advantage of our kids' special needs to find out about our case or he was just plain stupid. I told him that there was no way in this day and age that a grown man (who is married to a doctor) could possibly be so naive as to not see how his behavior would be seen be a DA, a Children's Advocacy Center, the police, two freaked out parents, and a bunch of therapists as totally inappropriate and downright creepy. I'm usually very calm and collected but oh, I was mad. I was so worn out from the abuse trial and I did NOT need this guy.

We lost our bussing that day. The superintendent told us that we could file a motion or we could drive our own kids to school. We drove those kids for two months until the superintendent retired and the replacement called us and apologized and reinstated bussing. As if we needed that right at that time.

There's numerous horror stories about school bus drivers and inappropriate behavior. My advice is to know your driver and let them know you are watching everything. We've never had a problem since. In fact, we love our drivers. They've driven our kids for 16 years. They all tell me that they really don't know why M was allowed to drive a bus.

Sorry, but this story literally sets me off.

From Texas Mist's link - BBM:
"When investigators arrested the 6-foot-tall, 350-pound Shields, they also found cameras, binoculars, girls underwear, "a Costco-sized box of lollipops," notes on the movements of a child and her parent he allegedly was stalking, and a pacifier, Brown said."

You would think bus companies would be selective and do back ground checks............
how did he go under the radar????

Respectfully snipped and bolded by me
"Lollipop" Molester Convicted After Young Victims Recount Horrific Attacks

Defense attorney Gassia Apkarian contended the case against her client was largely circumstantial, although she conceded he possessed child *advertiser censored*.

The more than 2,000 photos made her defense difficult, she said.

"It's very hard to overcome photos matched with the individuals in it," she said.

more here

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-bus-molester,0,3387372.story

One more s/b going away for a long, long, time.

I have no words - but circumstantial or not, if this had photos of himself and his victims, in my opinion, that's enough to put him away for life even without a trial.

I'm so glad he was caught and convicted and I hope the Judge gives him the MAXIMUM penalty - NO time off for good behavior. WHAT A :furious::furious:

Salem

"The more than 2,000 photos made her defense difficult, she said.

That has to be one of the classic statements by a defense attorneys. Hard to overcome, that's for sure. Nigh impossible IMO.

My heart breaks for the girls but I can't emphasize enough how fabulous it was that they found the photos. Those girls' testimony will never ever be doubted.

This is sickening. Thank God this guy was caught. I pray his victims get justice.

"The more than 2,000 photos made her defense difficult, she said.

That has to be one of the classic statements by a defense attorneys. Hard to overcome, that's for sure. Nigh impossible IMO.

My heart breaks for the girls but I can't emphasize enough how fabulous it was that they found the photos. Those girls' testimony will never ever be doubted.

BBM --

That statement rubbed me the wrong way because all I could think about was defense attys who believe their clients s/b walking out of the courtroom free, with no penalties.....I'm all for a vigorous defense -- all for attorneys who are there to see that their clients get a fair trial...but I'm *not* for trying to 'overcome' a client having CP pics - in his possession - of the vics who came forward.

I do not know how they sleep at night.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74
Back