Resolved MI - Portland, Child's skeletal remains, 11-12, Nov'06 - Non-modern

amazing-sea-monkey

Reaction score
Skeletal remains of what is believed to be a 12 year old child were found today in my small hometown of Portland, Michigan. Portland is about 30 miles from our capital city of Lansing. It is very rural. They are digging ground for a new housing development right near the highway and have unearthed remains which were buried about six feet deep. Not much news is being broadcast now, and I don't know how old the skeleton is believed to be.

http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061107/NEWS01/611070349/1001/news

PORTLAND — Human remains found near the Grand River Avenue exit of Interstate 96 in Portland are "extremely old" and show no sign of foul play, Portland Chief of Police Bob Bauer said.

A construction crew working near the highway exit found the remains, including skull fragments and ribs, while excavating a site this morning. The workers contacted the Portland City Police, who took the remains to Michigan State University's anthropology department.

Bauer said that experts who examined the bones said they are human but "non-modern." Bauer didn't know how old the remains are, but from the examination of a molar, it's believed that they belong to an 11- or 12-year-old.

SewingDeb said:
http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061107/NEWS01/611070349/1001/news

PORTLAND — Human remains found near the Grand River Avenue exit of Interstate 96 in Portland are "extremely old" and show no sign of foul play, Portland Chief of Police Bob Bauer said.

A construction crew working near the highway exit found the remains, including skull fragments and ribs, while excavating a site this morning. The workers contacted the Portland City Police, who took the remains to Michigan State University's anthropology department.

Bauer said that experts who examined the bones said they are human but "non-modern." Bauer didn't know how old the remains are, but from the examination of a molar, it's believed that they belong to an 11- or 12-year-old.

Human but "non-modern"....wow. How non-modern, I wonder? 100 years old? 1,000 years old? This will be interesting.

I have wondered about this recently. How they can tell from a skeleton whether it was previously buried legitimately.

englishleigh said:
Human but "non-modern"....wow. How non-modern, I wonder? 100 years old? 1,000 years old? This will be interesting.

I was wondering about that myself.

Maybe it was in an old coffin that was disenigrating? I used to live where a couple had been buried just a few feet off the road. Apperently they were buried there long before the road was put in and it had been private land.

Becba said:
Maybe it was in an old coffin that was disenigrating? I used to live where a couple had been buried just a few feet off the road. Apperently they were buried there long before the road was put in and it had been private land.
I just moved to a rural area and there are many grave sites just off the road, and I have thought the same thing. These were here long before the roads were. There is even an old grave site in a field of the school where my son practices football. It's really weird, especially since kids might be afraid of it. :eek:

Why have they given such a specific age??

My guess is, if they do a little research on who used to own this property (possibly a large piece of farmland), they'll find a family who had a child die. It was buried about 6 feet down...doesn't seem to be a murder.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back