Rumsfield Stepping Down

raisincharlie

Racing Doesn't Lie
Reaction score
Fox is reporting that Donald Rumsfield will resign effective immediately. Will look for a link.

Robert Gates, ex CIA chief, will take his place -well maybe, I think he has to be confirmed first.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,228173,00.html

Earlier today, a spokesman for Rumsfeld said he'd given no indication that he would step down in the wake of Democratic election gains. The spokesman said Rumsfeld would work with Congress on Iraq but added that the focus on stabilizing the country will remain the same.

All I can say is..... WOW. I think this is good news.:twocents:

Becba said:
Or Cheney!
Ooh, that would be great! Cheney will never quit, but I thought that about Rummy too! :twocents:

ljwf22 said:
Ooh, that would be great! Cheney will never quit, but I thought that about Rummy too! :twocents:
You know - it was reported that Cheney was going hunting on election day - has anyone seen him?:crazy:

So much for Bush insisting that Rumsfeld would remain Secretary for the remainder of his Presidency! Certainly didn't have anything to do with the elections, I am sure!!!! :p

mfmangel1 said:
So much for Bush insisting that Rumsfeld would remain Secretary for the remainder of his Presidency! Certainly didn't have anything to do with the elections, I am sure!!!! :p
Bush claims he intentionally misled reporters with that statement so as not to cause a stir at the Pentagon at the end of an election campaign. Yeah, whatever.

Rummy is gone! :woohoo:

I don't understand Bush's thinking (and I never will). He tells the American public that Rummy is in for the long haul despite all of the cries for his resignation. He throws all of the Republican senate and house candidates under the wheels of the election campaign and lets them lose their seats to Democrats and THEN he announces that Rummy is out!! ???? :waitasec: :waitasec:

Don't get me wrong. I am pleased as punch about the election results :crazy: :crazy: but I am totally confused about the Bush Administration's strategy. Is there any logic in the decision to hold onto Rumsfeld until they lose ALL support of the American people?

Oh well. I guess I just need to get back to my happy dance. Rummy is out! Dems are in!! My confidence in the system is becoming restored. Now we need ALL of our leaders to get to work and figure out a way to deal with the real issues about which We the People are concerned.

Cypros said:
I guess I just need to get back to my happy dance. Rummy is out! Dems are in!!
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Cypros said:
I don't understand Bush's thinking (and I never will). He tells the American public that Rummy is in for the long haul despite all of the cries for his resignation. He throws all of the Republican senate and house candidates under the wheels of the election campaign and lets them lose their seats to Democrats and THEN he announces that Rummy is out!! ????

Since Karl Rove does Bush's thinking, an article about Rove in the current Vanity Fair may be enlightening. In it, Rove points to Lieberman's high poll numbers and says that when you give the American people a clear choice between "winning" the war in Iraq and "losing" the war, they will choose winning over losing. (This isn't to say you must actually win the war, just that you frame the choices in those terms.)

I was shocked by the timing of the Rumsfeld resignation, too, but I'm speculating that doing it before the election would have risked looking like defeatism (at least in Rove's imagination).

In the same issue, there's a Michael Wolff essay asserting that the next 2 years will be about all the neo-cons distancing themselves from the now certain Iraqi defeat. Wolff predicts Bush will dump Cheney (health excuse) AND Rumsfeld. Maybe Bush just wanted to get to it.

Dark Knight said:
Bush claims he intentionally misled reporters with that statement so as not to cause a stir at the Pentagon at the end of an election campaign. Yeah, whatever.

I know! I couldn't believe it. He basically admitted to lying to reporters and it just went over everyone's heads! I was floored!

Dark Knight said:

Are we surprised reporters were misled? History really does repeat itself...

Ding Dong!!! Rummy is GONE!!!

Bush knows either he starts cleaning house or the Democrats will do it for him.

He probably did it so the Republicans will have a chance in the Pres election.

Cypros said:
I don't understand Bush's thinking (and I never will). He tells the American public that Rummy is in for the long haul despite all of the cries for his resignation. He throws all of the Republican senate and house candidates under the wheels of the election campaign and lets them lose their seats to Democrats and THEN he announces that Rummy is out!! ???? :waitasec: :waitasec:

Don't get me wrong. I am pleased as punch about the election results :crazy: :crazy: but I am totally confused about the Bush Administration's strategy. Is there any logic in the decision to hold onto Rumsfeld until they lose ALL support of the American peop

Oh well. I guess I just need to get back to my happy dance. Rummy is out! Dems are in!! My confidence in the system is becoming restored. Now we need ALL of our leaders to get to work and figure out a way to deal with the real issues about which We the People are concerned.

So true.

I hear good things about Gates so far. He's on that Iraq/Baker committee; and is supposedly "neutral" on ideology.

As I heard a speaker on NPR last night, we need someone less "loyal" to ideology, and more loyal to the people and actions on the ground, and the actual situation in Iraq.

raisincharlie said:
Robert Gates, ex CIA chief, will take his place -well maybe, I think he has to be confirmed first.
Robert Gates of the Iran Contra dealings, Robert Gates?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back