Flags of Our Fathers *War Heroes you've known

Sundayrain

Life's a dance, you learn as you go*
Reaction score
After watching "Flags of Our Fathers" I started to think of War Heroes I have known. I was wondering who would be some of our sleuths heros?
Here is a little information on a few of mine........
R. Secklecki of Massachusetts......was the funniest man I have ever known. That natural sense of humor that can't be beat. He died running
to help save an ambushed plattoon in Viet Nam. He was a fine
person and so greatly missed.( 4th Infantry Div)
J. Brown of New Jersey.......died in Viet Nam, always had a smile for all...
his family lived by us, wonderful people.
F. Price of New Jersey......Jeep went over a land mine in VN ...he was
the person who kept our homeroom classes in stitches.
A friend to all......and a great personality.
R. Mitchell.....A hero of the Battle of the Bulge. He went behind enemy lines
to bring gas to the tanks and came home with the bronze star.
J Grasso.....A soldier who landed on D-Day with a Medic in his arms who
had died. It would be over 50 years later when a story came on
TV about a sister talking about her brother.... a search
began to find her in Scranton. He and his wife would meet up
with the sister of the Medic he held. The Medics huge picture
hanging on the wall as they entered her home. Mr. Grasso
is still living in NJ and usually can be found jogging!
Love and honor,to those who fought to keep our World Free and Safe.......
Prayers always for you.......

Awwww I know you have heroes you remember.....You needn't have
seen the movie. Gosh, I love to talk about heros....
blowkises.gif

clap.gif

My father. He volunteered to go to Vietnam in 1963 to train the Vietnamese. He was killed in action when the B26 bomber he was flying lost its wing while under fire.

Unfortunately, I never actually knew him. I was born 3 months after he died.

War is tragedy. And the innocent victims of war far outnumber the few deserving targets.

Cypros, I'm sorry you never got to know your father :(.

Desmond Doss is my personal hero, both in war and peace. He was a Seventh Day Adventist who wished to serve his country during WWII, and wanted to do it as a non-combatant (SDAs are pacifists). He took lots of grief during boot camp for refusing to handle a weapon and refusing to work on Saturdays (Sabbath...he would pull double-duty on Sunday to make up for it). He was classified as a conscientious objector, but preferred the term "conscientious cooperator". Mr. Doss served as a medic and went into combat...without a weapon. He saved the lives of more than 75 men (many of those in something like a 48 hour period of time, while wounded himself) and won the Congressional Medal of Honor. All this from a "lazy coward" who wouldn't carry a weapon or work on his Sabbath (of course during combat he did).

He and my grandmother were very good friends. When she became too frail to attend Sabbath services, he would come over and they would have services together. Since they were both deaf as fenceposts, it usually sounded more like an angry battle than a church service, lol.

I don't use the term "hero" very often or lightly, but Mr. Doss was a hero.

My college boyfriend died in Vietnam in 1966.

My father served in the Navy, WWII.

My grandfather was a Medic in WWI in France and got the front of his ambulence blown off. I have all of his letters home compiled in a book.

My father in law served in WWII and was imprisoned in Russia.

Just about everyone went to war back then, and they're all heroes IMO

Cypros, I am so sorry you never got to know your Dad...He would be very proud of all of your accomplishsmnets, and hte kind of person you are...

...during WWII...one of them was a computer scientist and did a lot of innovation regarding radar and computers aboard ships...

My Dad was drafted furing the tail end of Korea, and then his draft number came up high during Vietnam; he was in a medical reserve unit that dealt with all of the men coming home who had severe mental health problems and drug use issues in addition to physicial injuries...My Dad says Vietnam was a nightmare in so many ways, a lot of these men came home so mentally wrecked....their families did not even know them anymore...

Cypros, I am so sorry you never got to know your Dad...He would be very proud of all of your accomplishments, and the kind of person you are...[/SIZE]

My uncle who was in the 101st Airborne Division at Normandy. He lost many friends there and was haunted by what he saw for the rest of his life. He came back with lots of medals and attended every 101st reunion until the year he died. He even hosted a documentary on PBS years back on it.

He did have several friends from Holland whom he and my aunt would visit there and they would come here to visit every few years. I have several very nice watches still that they brought me and still have memories of the dutch couple taking me and my little sister places and inevitably driving down the wrong side of the road at least once...

All men who serve are heroes to me! I'm a Navy brat--my dad served three tours in Viet Nam. Almost all of the men in my family are veterans and many of the women are vets as well.
lymom3, I may have had the privilege of meeting your uncle--until this year, we have always attended the Camp Toccoa reunions which included many of the members of the 101st. It sure is a small world! Those guys are/were AWESOME!

My birth father was at Pearl Harbor, He happened to be away from base the day of the bombings. The after math changed him forever.
He died when I was 5.

My step Dad was a medic with the 101, he landed at Normandy and went on to the battle of the Bulge. Always the gentleman he would never tell us girls what it was like for him.

After his death my mother was supported by his friend in the Delaware Valley chapter of the Bulge members.
I have met many, many hero's. Many of the real men from band of brothers,
We went to New Orleans for the opening of the "D" Day musuem.

If any one else was there, the day of the parade was so bitter sweet for the men and women who had served, many had never been thanked with a parade.
New Orleans was alive with kindness and American pride so many people turned out to offering thanks to the troops, many tears and much smiling..

Pandora said:
All men who serve are heroes to me! I'm a Navy brat--my dad served three tours in Viet Nam. Almost all of the men in my family are veterans and many of the women are vets as well.
lymom3, I may have had the privilege of meeting your uncle--until this year, we have always attended the Camp Toccoa reunions which included many of the members of the 101st. It sure is a small world! Those guys are/were AWESOME!
My husband and I watch Band of Brothers every year around this time. It's become a tradition for us. We watched the first episode (Currahee) last night, which was mainly about Camp Toccoa. While the mini-series itself is amazing, I enjoy the interviews with all the veterans the most. Their sacrifice leaves me in awe.

mfmangel1 said:
My six great uncles all served at the same time in WWII. Here is a link to the re-printed (much shorter) article about them:

http://www.minford.k12.oh.us/mhs/history/Veterans/WWII/wootenfamily.html

My great-grandparents, as mentioned in the article, were so proud of all of their children, grandchildren and great-grands. I was fortunate to have them until I was into my twenties.
:clap: :clap: :clap: What a great story..

My husband is my hero... He is a Cav.Scout and led his Platoon (2/8 CAV 1st CAV division) through a year in Iraq they fought hard and all came home alive and well. I am so proud of him and he knows it. He now trains soldiers getting ready to deploy. He had so many parents practically beg him to bring their sons home alive from war and he promised them he would. And he did. The day they returned and we all stood there watching them load off the buses and march up the parade field I saw him with his platoon and I can never explain to anyone the feeling I felt it was so many emotions all at once I cried and screamed and waved my flag and I felt almost like it was unreal.. My husband is like no other and I never thought I could admire someone as much as I do him... (ok he's not perfect but we won't get into that right now) :blushing: SCOUTS OUT!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back