Deer's head gets stuck in fake pumpkin

Dark Knight

Reaction score
Deer's head gets stuck in fake pumpkin

By JAMES PRICHARD, Associated Press Writer

A plastic jack-o'-lantern meant for collecting Halloween candy is threatening the life of a small deer that frequently visits a gated community.

The fake pumpkin has been stuck on the animal's snout for at least several days. It appears to be snagged on the young buck's ears or horn buds.

Ironically, the container that resembles a feed bag is instead keeping the animal from eating and possibly drinking.

Animal experts who went to the neighborhood Thursday to assess the situation got within 35 to 40 yards of the deer, said Bert Vescolani, director of the John Ball Zoo in nearby Grand Rapids.

Zoo personnel, as well as other animal experts, planned to return to the site Friday. If they see the deer, they hope to shoot a tranquilizer dart into him, remove the plastic jack-o'-lantern after the buck becomes unconscious and take the animal somewhere to recover until he can be released back into the wild.

More at link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061110/ap_on_re_us/deer_pumpkin_head_6&printer=1

They weren't able to tranqualize the deer today, and they say it's chance of surviving is very low right now, due to dehydration and lack of food. It is starting to showing signs of both. They will try again tomorrow to help it, but it might not even survive the tranqalizer a this point they have said.

How ironic that a hunter could shoot it to kill it, but they can't seem to shoot it with a tranquilizer to save it...makes me so sad...hope they can save this deer....:(

ember said:
How ironic that a hunter could shoot it to kill it, but they can't seem to shoot it with a tranquilizer to save it...makes me so sad...hope they can save this deer....:(
Yeah, I don't understand that either. You wouldn't think it would've been that difficult to shoot a tranquilizer at it and just remove the fake pumpkin. Very sad.
ETA: I just saw the picture from Dark Knight's link - I wanna cry, poor deer!!

SieSie said:
Yeah, I don't understand that either. You wouldn't think it would've been that difficult to shoot a tranquilizer at it and just remove the fake pumpkin. Very sad.
ETA: I just saw the picture from Dark Knight's link - I wanna cry, poor deer!!
I think a tranquilizer dart has less range than a rifle or shotgun does. 35-40 yards is quite the distance for a dart, I'd think.

Anyone who loves animals should pray for this poor deer. His days are running out. And I ask St. Francis of Assisi, Patron Saint of Animals, for his prayers and intercession as well, please, in Jesus' name, amen!

:woohoo: Yeah!! I've been thinking about this little guy for days. Thank goodness he's free from his pumpkin.

Floh said:
Animal experts on the scene said the deer has a solid chance of bouncing back from his seven-day ordeal.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

:dance: :dance: :dance:
This was truly the best scenario, as he was so weak he might not have survived the tranquilizer, they said.

I bet that's the last time he tries to eat some candy out of a large orange bucket, LOL! (Which is how I assume this happened.)

On the other side, hunting season starts Wednesday in Michigan. I hope they see he is thin and spare him.

Dark Knight said:
This was truly the best scenario, as he was so weak he might not have survived the tranquilizer, they said.

I bet that's the last time he tries to eat some candy out of a large orange bucket, LOL! (Which is how I assume this happened.)

On the other side, hunting season starts Wednesday in Michigan. I hope they see he is thin and spare him.

My thoughts run the other way, pessimistically and unfortunately.

i hope at least he gets some days where he enjoys himself until . . .

you know what?

i saw this thread from the beginning yet couldn't bring myself to click on the original link (still can't), because i knew it was sad news for one of our four footed friends. i was overjoyed - how sentimantal - to finally find good news in your post.

i suppose i really got affected by Bambi when i was a child, eh? :)

let's all learn about St Francis! :woohoo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_of_Assisi

This is good news. I saw the picture of this poor animal in our local paper. I'm glad he's free...and hopefully, doing well.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back