Deer's Head Stuck in Fake Pumpkin for Days

ajc2804

Reaction score
CASCADE TOWNSHIP, Mich. — A plastic jack-o'-lanternjavascript:siteSearch(''); meant for collecting Halloween candy is threatening the life of a small deer that frequently visits a gated community.

The fake pumpkin has been stuck on the animal's snout for at least several days. It appears to be snagged on the young buck's ears or horn buds.

Ironically, the container that resembles a feed bag is instead keeping the animal from eating and possibly drinking.

Animal experts who went to the neighborhood Thursday to assess the situation got within 35 to 40 yards of the deer, said Bert Vescolani, director of the John Ball Zoo in nearby Grand Rapids.

Zoo personnel, as well as other animal experts, planned to return to the site Friday. If they see the deer, they hope to shoot a tranquilizer dart into him, remove the plastic jack-o'-lantern after the buck becomes unconscious and take the animal somewhere to recover until he can be released back into the wild.

"He seems to be doing pretty well," Vescolani said. "I'm always amazed at how wildlife makes it sometimes, even under the hardest conditions."

more at link: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,228618,00.html

I hope we get an update that this guy has been liberated from his ordeal. I still remember the story of the duck getting the plastic thingy from a 6-pack of soda stuck around it's neck. I cut the heck outta those things now. we need to be more careful with our junk because even wild animals are curious.

LisainWV said:
I hope we get an update that this guy has been liberated from his ordeal. I still remember the story of the duck getting the plastic thingy from a 6-pack of soda stuck around it's neck. I cut the heck outta those things now. we need to be more careful with our junk because even wild animals are curious.

Good news:

CASCADE TOWNSHIP, Michigan (AP) -- A deer whose head was stuck in a plastic Halloween jack-o'-lantern for nearly a week has freed itself and will be fine, animal rescuers said Saturday.

Two children found a dented, hair-lined plastic pumpkin in their yard Friday night, and other neighbors saw a thin deer running free, The Grand Rapids Press reported. It was rainy Friday, which rescuers think helped the young deer wriggle free.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/11/11/deer.pumpkin.ap/index.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back