Eerie: Marshall trip delayed by engine smoke close to crash anniversary

Dark Knight

Reaction score
Marshall trip delayed by engine smoke

November 10, 2006

CEREDO, W.Va. (AP) -- A charter plane carrying the Marshall University football team to a game against East Carolina was evacuated after smoke was reported in an engine, airport officials said.

The flight took off after a two-hour delay and no injuries were reported among the 150 people aboard, but the timing was eerie.

Almost 36 years ago to the day, on Nov. 14, 1970, a plane carrying the Marshall football team home from a game against East Carolina crashed, killing 75 people, including most of the team. A movie about the rebuilding of Marshall's football program after the crash is scheduled to open nationwide on Dec. 22.

Marshall's sports information director at the time, Gene Morehouse, died in that crash.

On Friday, his son Keith Morehouse was aboard the Boeing 727 headed for the game in Greenville, N.C. The jet, originally scheduled to leave Tri-State Airport at 11 a.m., took off at 1:25 p.m.

"I don't think it's as big a deal as some people are trying to make," Morehouse said before reboarding the plane for takeoff. He is now sports director of WSAZ-TV in Huntington. Alpa Shah, director of operations for the Tri-State Airport Authority, said excess fuel burning off one of the engines caused the smoke. "These things happen," said Cabell County Sheriff Kim Wolfe, who was providing security for the team. "It's just ironic, the timing of this one."

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=Au04AwIHdfRl1scKYNQFX0A5nYcB?slug=ap-marshallplane&prov=ap&type=lgns

I'm a Marshall grad (GO HERD!!) and this story gave me chills. I was born in 69 so I don't remember the crash, but it was a big deal on campus with a memorial every year and the memorial fountain on campus is beautiful.

Thank heavens they stayed safe.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back