Toys For Tots rejects Jesus doll

Maral

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Link

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- A talking Jesus doll has been turned down by the Marine Reserves' Toys for Tots program.

A suburban Los Angeles company offered to donate 4,000 of the foot-tall dolls, which quote Bible verses, for distribution to needy children this holiday season. The battery-powered Jesus is one of several dolls manufactured by one2believe, a division of the Valencia-based Beverly Hills Teddy Bear Co., based on Biblical figures.

But the charity balked because of the dolls' religious nature.

Toys are donated to kids based on financial need and "we don't know anything about their background, their religious affiliations," said Bill Grein, vice president of Marine Toys for Tots Foundation, in Quantico, Va.

As a government entity, Marines "don't profess one religion over another," Grein said Tuesday. "We can't take a chance on sending a talking Jesus doll to a Jewish family or a Muslim family."

Maral said:
Link

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- A talking Jesus doll has been turned down by the Marine Reserves' Toys for Tots program.

A suburban Los Angeles company offered to donate 4,000 of the foot-tall dolls, which quote Bible verses, for distribution to needy children this holiday season. The battery-powered Jesus is one of several dolls manufactured by one2believe, a division of the Valencia-based Beverly Hills Teddy Bear Co., based on Biblical figures.

But the charity balked because of the dolls' religious nature.

Toys are donated to kids based on financial need and "we don't know anything about their background, their religious affiliations," said Bill Grein, vice president of Marine Toys for Tots Foundation, in Quantico, Va.

As a government entity, Marines "don't profess one religion over another," Grein said Tuesday. "We can't take a chance on sending a talking Jesus doll to a Jewish family or a Muslim family."
That makes sense to me especially since the doll says you must be "born again."

Only other alternative is to start labeling presents especially for born again Christians.

I definately defend Toys for Tots right to not allow these gifts. What irks me is that adults want to inject their religious agendas into a gift. Come on, like someone else said, toys are supposed to be FUN. I know I wouldn't want a Jesus doll. Who makes Jesus dolls anyway? What's next, a matching Jesus convertible, a Jesus condo?

Hopefully the toymaker will find a Christian charity to donate them to, there is no shortage of those.

By the same token, why would they send Christmas presents to a Jewish or Muslim family? I doubt they would apply for them, lol. They could certainly send these as actual Christmas presents to people if they wanted.

We've got another thread on this, BTW, I think in the Jury room...

Yeah, the born again - not all Christians go for that. And plenty celebrate Christmas as a secular holiday... and toys should be fun! Toys donated to kids who will get very, very few presents for Christmas should be especially fun!
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44639

Wow, Jesus is banned from any connection with His own birthday celebration. How sad is that?

I'm not sure, as a child, if I would've wanted a scripture quoting Jesus doll, but we're talking about needy children here. I guess they will only accept X-boxes and DVD players and stuff. :angel:

julianne said:
I definately defend Toys for Tots right to not allow these gifts. What irks me is that adults want to inject their religious agendas into a gift. Come on, like someone else said, toys are supposed to be FUN. I know I wouldn't want a Jesus doll. Who makes Jesus dolls anyway? What's next, a matching Jesus convertible, a Jesus condo?

I agree.

LOL...the convertable and condo...that's good. :)

Dark Knight said:
That's their fault, lol.
Nah, nothing is the kids fault. And they're the ones getting the toys.

Just, by me, a lousy choice of pawns in one of the eternal battles to convert the world - holding as pawns a bunch of kids whose parents are so poor they get presents from a charity. And the one present they may recieve in the year - and it's a doll designed to convert them to specifically "born-again" christianity. How sad is that. Might as well be a Wal-Mart doll talking about how wonderful it is to shop at Wal-Mart.

Oh yeah, I forgot - and a bunch of people posting to one of the articles about how they'll never give to Toys for Tots again - this is just depressing.

I get so sick of the Christmas war. Every year lately, it seems.

Why would someone make a Jesus doll for kids anyway? I'm not religious at all, but I'd hate to see some kid carrying Jesus around by the hair or taking his clothes off to see what's underneath. Maybe the kid will get a Barbie too, then Jesus and Barbie can get married and have babies.

Dark Knight said:
Hopefully the toymaker will find a Christian charity to donate them to, there is no shortage of those.

By the same token, why would they send Christmas presents to a Jewish or Muslim family? I doubt they would apply for them, lol. They could certainly send these as actual Christmas presents to people if they wanted.
Well, I do agree with that. They should donate them to those that want them.

Dark Knight said:
Right after we get Sister Mary Margaret Barbie! :eek:
Or Perry the Priest doll? He could come complete with his own altar boy.:eek: :silenced:

I think a talking Jesus doll would freak out a little kid.

julianne said:
Or Perry the Priest doll? He could come complete with his own altar boy.:eek: :silenced:
I think this post went too far.:slap:

Details said:
Nah, nothing is the kids fault. And they're the ones getting the toys.

Just, by me, a lousy choice of pawns in one of the eternal battles to convert the world - holding as pawns a bunch of kids whose parents are so poor they get presents from a charity. And the one present they may recieve in the year - and it's a doll designed to convert them to specifically "born-again" christianity. How sad is that. Might as well be a Wal-Mart doll talking about how wonderful it is to shop at Wal-Mart.

Oh yeah, I forgot - and a bunch of people posting to one of the articles about how they'll never give to Toys for Tots again - this is just depressing.

I get so sick of the Christmas war. Every year lately, it seems.
Best post of the day!

Mabel said:
Why would someone make a Jesus doll for kids anyway? I'm not religious at all, but I'd hate to see some kid carrying Jesus around by the hair or taking his clothes off to see what's underneath. Maybe the kid will get a Barbie too, then Jesus and Barbie can get married and have babies.
Well, I am religious and I don't care for the idea of making a Jesus doll at all. To me, it trivializes God.

julianne said:
Hey I don't make the news, I just read it.
It misrepresents the other 99% of Priests who are good, holy, people.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back2theGardenAgain
Back