NJ - Three dead, 58 injured in arson fire at Seton Hall dorm, 19 Jan 2000

SadieMae

Former Member
Reaction score
I'm quite outraged about this: :banghead:

In 2000 there was a fire in a college dorm set by 3 students as a prank.
http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/young/seton_hall/index.html

This was on the CNN website on their plea deal sentencing. I read up on the story from the above link and I'm in disbelieve at thieir sentence: 5 years prison and 16 months probation for 3 deaths, and numerous lifetime injuries to so many other students!
http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/11/15/student.arson.ap/index.html

"Over the summer, Superior Court Judge Harold W. Fullilove dismissed 49 charges of aggravated assault, brought for 49 students who were hurt while escaping the fire. Prosecutors said they wanted to "streamline" their case and said the dismissals would not change the amount of prison time if the suspects are convicted of the most serious charges."
http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/104-11142006-741739.html

Am I over reacting to this? This sentence just seems soooooooo wrong!!! People have gotten longer sentences for possesion of a bag of meth.

I don't think that you are overreacting. I think that a lot depends on lawyers. These guys would not have gotten such a light sentence had they had public defenders.

It's not like these guys were young children setting a fire. I could understand a young child not understanding that someone may get hurt or killed as a result. I don't have the same understanding for college students.

Just my opinion, of course.

No, after readng all that .... you're not wrong! Shocking. And ... WHAT has LE let society in for 5 years hence? I recently saw a 48-hrs where 3 youths are up for life for the murder of an 84-yo aunt of one of the kids. Yes, that was brutal - but so are the deaths of these 3 and the injury to 49 others!

What gives?

PolkSaladAnnie said:
No, after readng all that .... you're not wrong! Shocking. And ... WHAT has LE let society in for 5 years hence? I recently saw a 48-hrs where 3 youths are up for life for the murder of an 84-yo aunt of one of the kids. Yes, that was brutal - but so are the deaths of these 3 and the injury to 49 others!

What gives?
From the CrimeLibrary story, this might have something to do with it...
Seems they have family mob connections....

I just saw the prosecutor giving a PC. She said they had no eyewitness that these boys did this, they were ready to go to trial, all along they KNEW these boys did this, but it has taken 7 years to get to court. Here's what I think: If the prosecutor had good solid evidence and was sure that they would be convicted she would not have accepted this deal. The Boys came to her in the last two days, the prosecutors accepted the deal they came to them with. We don't know what the prosecutor had as far as evidence, knowing someone did something and having the evidence to prove it are two seperate issues, IMO.

I thought that the young men admitted to setting the fire. I guess mob connections/ and or having money talks when accused of murder. It's disgusting.

I think what is baffling about this case to me is that in the bar fire in RI, charges seemed to lean towards the heaviest penalties that could be imposed. I know there were more lives lost in the bar fire and am not minimizing that crime but I get confused when these kids deliberately set a fire (albeit a prank) and get off on a seemingly light sentance?

I don't think you are over reacting. It's very confusing to many!

Thanks for the responses. Reading the story just got my goat! Those boys were old enough to know not be playing with matches. And yes they did admit they started the fire as part of their "deal". I hope Karma bites them big time!

The young people that survived had major burn injuries they will have to deal with a lifetime of surgeries. These were bright decent kids with bright futures. I just feel so badly for them and the families of the 3 students who died.

SadieMae said:
Thanks for the responses. Reading the story just got my goat! Those boys were old enough to know not be playing with matches. And yes they did admit they started the fire as part of their "deal". I hope Karma bites them big time!

The young people that survived had major burn injuries they will have to deal with a lifetime of surgeries. These were bright decent kids with bright futures. I just feel so badly for them and the families of the 3 students who died.

Karma is so very, very real SadieMae. The energies that these boys, the victims and their familes, other folk involved, LE and the boys' relatives all release will determine their ability to 'make good' - or not. And if they succumb to caring less, so I believe their lives will pay out its value accordingly. In my little book, that's a given.

I think what really made me angry is calling this a "prank". Well in my day a prank was something silly, no one got harmed, and in most cases everyone got a good laugh in the end.

A year or so ago, some magazine featured a really well-written story about this fire and how those kids were able to duck the law. I wish I could remember. I typically read Vanity Fair for great articles, but I don't know if it was in there or not. Those kids are spoiled brats and their parents are just as bad for helping them evade the law.

PolkSaladAnnie said:
Karma is so very, very real SadieMae. The energies that these boys, the victims and their familes, other folk involved, LE and the boys' relatives all release will determine their ability to 'make good' - or not. And if they succumb to caring less, so I believe their lives will pay out its value accordingly. In my little book, that's a given.
Amen, PolkSaladAnnie.

I am not appalled by this sentence. It sounds like it was something that got out of hand and the consequences were terrible, but I don't think these kids are evil or dangerous.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back