NC NC - Priscilla Blevins, 26, Charlotte, 7 July 1975

Richard

Reaction score
Pricilla A. Blevins
Missing since January 1, 1975 from Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, North Carolina.
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: March 29, 1948
Age at Time of Disappearance: 26 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'5"; 130 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair; brown eyes. Suffers from excema.
Dentals: Partial Dentals Available
Fingerprints: Not Available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Blevins was last seen at 1700 Tyvola Road in Charlotte, North Carolina on January 1, 1975. She has not been seen or heard from since. She was most recently entered into NCIC in 2000.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department
Detective J.L. Tuttle
704-336-3949

Agency Case Number: 20001011-142000
NCIC Number: M-401092191
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department
The Doe Network: Case File 492DFNC

LINK:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/492dfnc.html

Richard said:
Pricilla A. Blevins
Missing since January 1, 1975 from Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, North Carolina. ... Blevins was last seen at 1700 Tyvola Road in Charlotte, North Carolina on January 1, 1975. She has not been seen or heard from since. ...LINK:
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/492dfnc.html
Note that Denise Porch also disappeared from a Tyvola Road address exactly 7 months later. Could these two cases be linked? Denise's thread: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44674

Websleuths has thread on the "Missing but not forgotten" board which discusses the disappearance of Pricilla Blevins and Denise Porch.

Link:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25229

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is some more info and another website which features Pricilla Blevins' case -

Name: Pricilla Blevins
Case #: 20001011-142000
DOB: 3-29-48
Height: 5'5"
Weight: 130lbs
Eye Color: Brown
Hair Color: Blonde

Source Information:
Missing Persons in Charlotte-Mecklenburg

Link:
http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Police/Crime+Info/Citizen+Watch+Programs/Missing+Persons/Missing+Persons.htm

It has been 35 years since Pricilla went missing.

Pricilla Blevins has always been listed as missing since Jan 1 1975. I have often wondered if that was the true date. On Name Us, it says missing since July 7 1975. She was last seen by her roommate. This is the first I have heard of this.

If Pricilla disappeared on July 7 and Denise disappeared on July 31, that seems related. They both were blond and lived on Tyvola. Is Larry Bell the only suspect here????

Pricilla Blevins has always been listed as missing since Jan 1 1975. I have often wondered if that was the true date. On Name Us, it says missing since July 7 1975. She was last seen by her roommate. This is the first I have heard of this.

If Pricilla disappeared on July 7 and Denise disappeared on July 31, that seems related. They both were blond and lived on Tyvola. Is Larry Bell the only suspect here????

I have always seen the date as 1 January 1975 for Pricilla's disappearance. Do not know what the reason behind the descrepancy is. Sometimes a very late report of a missing person will be off because an earlier date might be the last time that person was seen by the reporting individual.

Although Larry Bell seems a good prospect in both these cases, there are probably a half dozen other possibilities. One might be Fred Howard Coffey, Jr. There are a number of threads on him here on Websleuths. See particularly the featured case of the missing Lyon Sisters of Wheaton, Maryland for some info on him. He was from Virginia and NC and was in Maryland after January 1975 and up to July 1975 when he left under suspicious circumstances.

Priscilla Ann Blevin's boy has been identified. It was found off of Interstate 40 ten years after her disappearance and went unidentified until recently.

http://www.journalnow.com/news/local/article_39b8392a-23b2-11e2-af4b-001a4bcf6878.html

"Blevins, 27, was last seen by her roommate at their home at 1700 Tyvola Road in Charlotte on July 7, 1975, a missing person’s poster says.

Ten years later, in 1985, a woman’s body was found off Interstate 40 in Haywood County and was taken to the state medical examiner’s office in Chapel Hill...In 2009, Howe provided her DNA to investigators, and they used that evidence and dental records of Priscilla Ann Blevins to identify Blevins as the woman found in Haywood County."

Yes, I hope they can figure out what happened. As her sister said, she probably didn't get to the side of the highway across the state by herself.

I wish we could edit posts this long after writing -- I meant to write "body" not "boy" obviously :)

In 1985 remains were found on the side of a road after Priscilla went missing ten years earlier in 1975. It took 27 more years before those remains were identified, but now the police can say they have finally solved the mystery of where Priscilla was. Yippee!

I guess DNA identification wasn't established at that time but it just seems like this case was lost along the way. After almost 38 years it would be hard to determine a cause of death. Was this a homicide?

I would hope her killer was Larry Gene Bell who was executed on October 4, 1996 or it could be that another killer may have gotten away with murder?

http://www.bphillips.net/drilc.htm for info on LGB.
NC NC - Two missing women: same area different dates, Charlotte, 1975 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community for more info.

No, genetic testing wasn't available when Priscilla went missing, and was in its infancy in 1985 -- there was a commercial matching application available in England around 1985, but it didn't come to the US until a year or two later. Early efforts at recovering DNA from human remains weren't very successful; only recently have they been able to get reliable samples under those circumstances.

Also, it sounds like Blevins' sister didn't provide a sample until 2009. So there really wasn't anything to match it to.

This is great news. After 37 years, she is finally identified and can go home to her family.

Now begins the second step in the investigation - who killed her?

Haywood County is in the Great Smokey Mountains, in the far western part of North Carolina, quite a distance from Charlotte, NC, where Pricilla was last seen.

Hwy 40 meets Hwy 81 just a little further from where her body was found. Hwy 81
goes northeast through eastern Tennessee to Bristol, VA - home town of Fred Howard Coffey, Jr. Fred is known to have killed an 8 year old boy and dumped his body in Tennessee between this intersection and Bristol in 1986. Fred lived at various times in Bristol, Charlotte, Virginia Beach, VA and Gaithersburg, MD. Perhaps just a coincidence?

There is also an unknown girl referred to as the Greene County Jane Doe who was found murdered between Bristol and the intersedtion of Highways 40 and 81 in 1986. Possible connection?

I have always felt that Pricilla's disappearance was linked to the 31 July 1975 disappearance of Denise Porch, who lived on the same road as Pricilla.

No, genetic testing wasn't available when Priscilla went missing, and was in its infancy in 1985 -- there was a commercial matching application available in England around 1985, but it didn't come to the US until a year or two later. Early efforts at recovering DNA from human remains weren't very successful; only recently have they been able to get reliable samples under those circumstances.

Also, it sounds like Blevins' sister didn't provide a sample until 2009. So there really wasn't anything to match it to.

Thanks for the info about DNA. So much has evolved in such a short time.
It would be good now if all states had the manpower and budget to do DNA tests on all body remains found and code this info into CODIS.

ttp://www.dna.gov/solving-crimes/cold-cases/howdatabasesaid/codis/

I don't know what they did back then about trying to identify any remains that were found but I do remember they sometimes would broadcast or put in a newspaper a sketch of what a reconstructed face would look like or they could try to match dental work, clothing or jewelry or sex or estimated age with missing persons but I didn't think about what remains may or may not have been found.

I think either Larry Gene Bell or Fred Howard Coffey, Jr. could have been involved in Pricilla's death. They were both committing murders around that time in and about that area.

Coffey is still in prison for life. I thought he mainly went after a younger group though. I found this writeup that gives a lot of info on Coffey. I haven't looked to see if he is in our serial killer forum, but if he's not there, maybe he should be added.
http://www.bluelineradio.com/FredHowardCoffey

Do we even know if she was murdered? On one of the articles, the sister states that she does not know what the COD was.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kac1991
Back