Israel's High Court Rules in Favor of Recognizing Same Sex Marriages

southcitymom

Reaction score
Website
www.janicefahy.com
In precedent-setting ruling court says state must recognize gay marriage

In a precedent-setting ruling, the High Court of Justice on Tuesday ruled that five gay couples wedded outside of Israel can be registered as married couples.

A sweeping majority of six justices to one ruled that the civil marriages of five gay couples obtained in Toronto, Canada, can appear as married on the population registry.

The gay petitioners sought to force the state to give equal recognition to common law marriages of heterosexual couples to those of gay marriages, which can be performed in certain countries.

More at link -

http://haaretz.com/hasen/spages/790724.html

southcitymom said:
In precedent-setting ruling court says state must recognize gay marriage

In a precedent-setting ruling, the High Court of Justice on Tuesday ruled that five gay couples wedded outside of Israel can be registered as married couples.

A sweeping majority of six justices to one ruled that the civil marriages of five gay couples obtained in Toronto, Canada, can appear as married on the population registry.

The gay petitioners sought to force the state to give equal recognition to common law marriages of heterosexual couples to those of gay marriages, which can be performed in certain countries.

More at link -

http://haaretz.com/hasen/spages/790724.html
Maseltov!

And just last week, they barely managed to have a Pride Festival in Jerusalem.

southcitymom said:
That's cool. How many attended?

I'm not sure. But I watched tape of the event on The Daily Show. They juxtaposed a few hundred gay people calmly watching a concert with hundreds of hysterical and violent protesters elsewhere. Stewart's tag line was, "How nice that the Jews have reached a point where they can oppress other people, like gays." But the funniest part was how sedate the Pride celebration was.

I am more then sure, that there will be "very angry" outburst, etc. from the religious leaders. Actually I would put money on it. When Canada legally allowed, gay marriages, the "Jewish" community took out ads in newspapers, etc. against gay marriages.

This is not going to go over well, in Israel. Religious leaders, citizens, Rabbi's, will want to be heard. Just like the "relilgious" movement in Canada made no qualms, at all, about attempt to intimidate and control and influence the laws here.

Along with their US counterparts who "funded" and had a "significant" hand in attempting to "defeat" the bill that allowed allowe gay marriages.

The good thing is, the Jewish community is not run by just a few leaders. Each and every group has it's own leaders and some of the groups have already allowed gays to live and worship openly. We welcome everyone in my temple.

Nova I saw that too! And my thought was at least its happening. My cousin wanted to go but her mother told her no, but not for the worry of gay bashing but because of the war over there of course. Many of us haven't gone over there anymore for that fear. In context, this was huge!

I am sure if a Shul is reform, there will be "little" problems.....but

The orthodox, and ultra orthodox, will not be happy, to say the least.

Government workers, women, were subject to harassment, verbal abuse, and things thrown at them, in Israel when they would go to work in a Government Building with "inappropriate" clothing, which some people consider sleeveless tops or dresses or short sleeves. This was done by "religious" people mainly orthodox and ultra orthodox.

BhamMama said:
The good thing is, the Jewish community is not run by just a few leaders. Each and every group has it's own leaders and some of the groups have already allowed gays to live and worship openly. We welcome everyone in my temple.

Nova I saw that too! And my thought was at least its happening. My cousin wanted to go but her mother told her no, but not for the worry of gay bashing but because of the war over there of course. Many of us haven't gone over there anymore for that fear. In context, this was huge!

I was supposed to go to Israel with my church group when I was a teen. Then the Six-Day War broke out. I took it as a sign from God and haven't tried to go since.

I'm sorry you missed it. I'm so grateful I got one chance. I am not ashamed to admit I stood at the Kotel (wailing wall) and bawled like a baby. It was a humbling, oddly sad, occasion.

CyberLaw said:
I am more then sure, that there will be "very angry" outburst, etc. from the religious leaders. Actually I would put money on it. When Canada legally allowed, gay marriages, the "Jewish" community took out ads in newspapers, etc. against gay marriages.

This is not going to go over well, in Israel. Religious leaders, citizens, Rabbi's, will want to be heard. Just like the "relilgious" movement in Canada made no qualms, at all, about attempt to intimidate and control and influence the laws here.

Along with their US counterparts who "funded" and had a "significant" hand in attempting to "defeat" the bill that allowed allowe gay marriages.
You got that right, Cyber! I can't believe that Rabbi Yehuda Levin, the Special Emissary to Israel for The Union of Orthodox Rabbis of the United States and Canada and The Rabbinical Alliance of America, would say that gay marriage in Israel is worse that the Holocaust!

From Link:

"A SPIRITUAL HOLOCAUST" - "WORSE THAN A PHYSICAL HOLOCAUST"

Rabbi Levin stressed the severity of the situation saying: "There is something worse than taking an innocent person and exterminating them in this world, and that is when you take a person and exterminate him in this world and in the next world. You do that by bringing him into licentious sin. That way you are killing him, as our Rabbis taught in the Talmud over two millennia ago, you kill the person in this world and in the next world by bringing him into licentious sin whether its adultery, or other perversion or homosexuality, sexual sin. That is worse than killing."

Maral said:
You got that right, Cyber! I can't believe that Rabbi Yehuda Levin, the Special Emissary to Israel for The Union of Orthodox Rabbis of the United States and Canada and The Rabbinical Alliance of America, would say that gay marriage in Israel is worse that the Holocaust!

From Link:

"A SPIRITUAL HOLOCAUST" - "WORSE THAN A PHYSICAL HOLOCAUST"

Rabbi Levin stressed the severity of the situation saying: "There is something worse than taking an innocent person and exterminating them in this world, and that is when you take a person and exterminate him in this world and in the next world. You do that by bringing him into licentious sin. That way you are killing him, as our Rabbis taught in the Talmud over two millennia ago, you kill the person in this world and in the next world by bringing him into licentious sin whether its adultery, or other perversion or homosexuality, sexual sin. That is worse than killing."
Wow.

That is stunning.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam