Divers reveal more about fate of `Christmas Tree Ship'

Dark Knight

Reaction score
TWO RIVERS, Wis. (AP) -- The saga of the doomed schooner Rouse Simmons, better known as the "Christmas Tree Ship," has some added chapters after a diving expedition over the summer probed the site where the vessel went down in Lake Michigan 84 years ago.

For one thing, the three-masted schooner with a crew of 17 apparently was not going straight south, driven by the gale winds from the north, but was trying to head for a safe harbor when it plunged bow first under the waves, according to state underwater archaeologist Keith Merveden.

"She was actually pointing north-northwest," Merveden said. "At some point between the distress sighting at Kewaunee and when the ship went down, she turned around and was headed toward a small bay."

The ship was believed to be carrying more than 5,000 Christmas trees, piled in the hold and lashed to the deck, on the voyage from Manistique, Mich., to downtown Chicago, where Capt. Herman Schuenemann would sell the trees for 50 cents to $1 each or give them away to needy families.

But when the Rouse Simmons set sail on Nov. 21, 1912, the weather was deteriorating. The ship was spotted more than a day later, its sails in tatters and flying a distress flag. A rescue boat couldn't reach it, and it disappeared, along with the entire crew.

More at link: http://www.woodtv.com/global/story.asp?s=5723701

And what are your thoughts on this? :waitasec:

Floh said:
And what are your thoughts on this? :waitasec:
I think it could give people some insight into the Edmond Fitzgerald tragedy. I bet it was almost the exact same circumstances.

Sounds like a very sad situation, especially fisherman catching trees for years afterwards.

...Great Lakes, Michigan and Superior, I can say that the Great Lakes can be very volatile...calm, one minute, and crazy the next...Also, sometimes when the Lakes look calm, it is an illusion...there are amazing currents and undertows, expecially on Superior...I almost drowned in Lake Superior, the only time this has ever happened to me (I am a good swimmer)...I was swimming along, not far from shore, on a hot August day...Even so, the water is verry cold...Before I knew it, currents took me so far out that it took me two hours to get back to shore...I was exhausted...

(The dufus I was dating at the time could not swim very well, and could not help me... :D In fact, he later almost drowned when we were boating on the Great Lakes and me and another girl had to haul his sorry *advertiser censored* up into the boat...)

Anyway, the point is that things happen so quickly on the Great Lakes, and that's why even these huge ships have gone down so fast, almost without warning...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back