Police shoot, kills groom at a club

PaperDoll

When I'm Silent, I make the most sense
Reaction score
:eek: ....

NEW YORK - Police opened fire early Saturday on a car full of men driving away from a bachelor party at a strip club, killing the groom on his wedding day after an undercover officer was rammed with the car.

Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said it was too early to say whether the shooting — 50 rounds were fired, hitting the vehicle 21 times — was justified. The deadly incident stemmed from an undercover operation inside the club, Kelly said.

Kelly said the car also rammed into an unmarked police minivan. Seven officers in plain clothes were involved in the incident, but only five fired.

(rest at link)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15889445/?GT1=8717

I read about this earlier, and tried to post it but it wouldn't let me. My problem with the incident is, bullets went into a nearby train station and hit houses. (At least according to an earlier version of the first AP story, which has been altered apparently.) Even though no one was injured that is UNACCEPTABLE!!! New York Times story. At least one officer even RELOADED! Those officers should have had training on how to focus and not let the adrenaline take over! I too, am reminded of Amadou Diallo.

NY Times said:
The police said that one officer who leaped from the minivan, a 12-year police veteran, fired 31 times, and an undercover officer with nine years on the force fired 11 times. The other officers fired three, four and five times. <snip, page turns>
One neighbor said his car was hit by three bullets and a fourth smashed through his front window, piercing a lamp in the living room. “There was bullets all over the place,” said Paul Gomes, 31, who awoke to the barrage of gunfire and pulled his wife and children onto the floor.

I'd say that ramming into the vehicles was a bad choice.

Here is the newest news story about this. Apparently the officers went against NYPD policy when they fired at the moving car.

Angry crowd rallies after groom killing
By DEEPTI HAJELA, Associated Press Writer

<snip>

The officer who had followed the group on foot was apparently the first to open fire, Kelly said. That officer had served on the force for five years. One 12-year veteran fired his weapon 31 times, emptying two full magazines, Kelly said.
<snip>

The police department's policy on shooting at moving vehicles states: "Police officers shall not discharge their firearms at or from a moving vehicle unless deadly force is being used against the police officers or another person present, by means other than a moving vehicle."

KatK said:
Here is the newest news story about this. Apparently the officers went against NYPD policy when they fired at the moving car.

[/b]
Generally, PD policy in most areas is that you can't use deadly force for a moving car unless it's coming at you. I don't know the particulars of this situation...

Is there another thread about this on WebSleuths? I would have thought everyone would be talking about this....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah
Back