"Not all pregnancies end happy."

SouthEastSleuth

Reaction score
As we've discussed several times before, the rates of homicides involving pregnant women are startling, to say the least. There's a very interesting article in today's Raleigh News and Observer about this alarming fact (certainly worth the read as you think about Janet's murder).

Here are some excerpts (link to entire article at bottom of post):

- Researchers in Maryland...found that homicide was the leading cause of death among pregnant women, based on a study of 247 cases from 1993-1998. (The study found that 20% of the deaths were by homicide.)

- "It is not clear why pregnant women are more at risk. Some researchers say the vulnerability of the pregnant women might provoke abuse by a partner.."

- "A Washington Post analysis of the problem in 2004 identified 1,367 murders of pregnant women since 1990, though more than a dozen states that didn't track maternal status were excluded from the tally. The Post chose to examine 2002 cases more closely and found that, in about 2/3 of those cases, the motive for the slaying had to do with the pregnancy."

- (in some cases)...."The pregnancy itself seems to provoke violence."

- "During a pregnancy, the woman tends to take care of herself and starts doing her own thinking.......For a batterer, he's bound to feel less powerful. He'll strike."

- "On the flip side, the woman could be in danger, too, if she appears fragile and weak. The abuser will see this as a chance to take control by lashing out. Of course, pregnancy brings stresses of its own: financial strain, exhaustion, concern over the child's future. It's also a time when the mother might feel less empowered to leave. She wants a father for the baby and might need the financial help."

- "All told, about 6% of pregnant women say they endured slaps, kicks, or shoves while pregnant, according to a survey of more than 1, 500 NC women in 2004..."

- "We have a myth and fairy tale that this is a time when everyone's joyous....But for some families, it's a vulnerable, scary time."

http://www.newsobserver.com/102/story/515742.html

Thanks for the article SES. It's very alarming and to know that the number one cause of a death for a pregnant woman is murder and it is exceptionally frightening.

I feel the sociopath strikes at that time for varying reasons also.

Some women indeed become stronger when they are pregnant and and may realize the relationship they are in is not good, safe or healthy for them and their baby and may decide to leave at that time. Of course, sometimes it's the opposite, and the women may become more vulnerable at that time and it's an easier time to strike for these men that are truly cowards and wait for a vulnerable time.

I think in Janet's case she was more empowered at the time, realizing she didn't want to bring another child into the world with this man that cheats, lies, steals and I'm willing to bet she was planning on leaving him and after she told him she was pregnant he started planning out her murder.

I believe that it was planned out completely and perhaps he realized she was going to leave him because she was sick of his scamming, cheating, stealing, lying ways.

Again, thanks for the article.

During the Laci case, we learned that IF the woman was murdered in her last trimester, it was more than likely the SO.

IF she was murdered during the first trimester, it could still lead to 'stranger did it,' being them not knowing she was pregnant.

Wonder if this guy was watching the Peterson case?

The second child might have sent him over the edge realizing he was REALLY losing control of the situation. Also, as some have also stated, perhaps she was planning on leaving him because she was tired of his BS. That's the most dangerous time, the breaking up period, whether pregnant or not.

JMHO
fran

PS..........hope they figure this out soon. they have to KNOW who did this....fran

abc11.com: Pregnant women at greater risk 12/11/07

"... There are statistics that show that pregnant women are the number one category of women that are killed," said Susan Hill-Natl, Women's Health Org.

In fact, pregnant and recently pregnant women are more likely to die from homicide than any other cause. Seventeen percent of all pregnant women report being battered. Hill added, "parents sometimes feel differently about the upcoming birth..."

Ebony Robinson is the latest victim. She was eight months pregnant, and her body was found Friday on a dead end road in Orange County. Thirty-nine- year-old Kenneth White, who family members say fathered her child, is charged with first-degree murder...

The comment at the end of the article posted by "bot":
Why are the Durham police sitting on their hands - not pursuing Janet Abaroa's killer?

More on Ebony Robinson:

newsobserver.com | Sheriff: Woman was threatened

... Now White, a longtime neighbor who investigators said also had a long-running relationship with Robinson, is being held without bail in the Orange County jail, charged with murder.

Robinson's family, meanwhile, is laying her and her unborn baby to rest, in two caskets, today.
White is charged with just one count of murder. District Attorney Jim Woodall said Monday no laws on the books in North Carolina would allow an additional homicide charge...

I fully believe that Janet and Raven both knew she was pregnant again. Janet had been pregnant, unsuccessfully in the past and had a six-month old child, Kaiden.

I believe the whole Janet was on her knees like when she had cramps was a set-up.

Raven is really good at setting up scenerios, we'll probably see a whole lot of that in the trial, because he always borrows from someone's reality and takes it and molds it as his own, alternatively he mixes truth with utter falsehoods when he talks.

I think he knew Janet was pregnant, she was going to leave him and him bringing up thinking she was in a room on her knees because of cramps was a way to deflect that he knew she was pregnant.

North Carolina needs to do something about this Fetal Homicide Bill.

Janet was pregnant and he rightly should be charged with two murders.

Too many pregnant woman have been murdered in North Carolina and too many men are getting away with double homicides because of it.

Wake up North Carolina!

Ummm... I am pregnant and this thread has me all jumpy... I have no fear of my Hubby. He would kill for me and he would die for me, but other people terrify me.

It seems like the minute I started to show every freak in the world saw fit to pop out of the woodwork. You would be amazed at just how many complete strangers will just walk up to me and try to touch my bump. Then some of them get all pissy when they are not allowed to touch me. Like it is their God given right to put their hands on me because I am pregnant.

Ummm... I am pregnant and this thread has me all jumpy... I have no fear of my Hubby. He would kill for me and he would die for me, but other people terrify me.

It seems like the minute I started to show every freak in the world saw fit to pop out of the woodwork. You would be amazed at just how many complete strangers will just walk up to me and try to touch my bump. Then some of them get all pissy when they are not allowed to touch me. Like it is their God given right to put their hands on me because I am pregnant.

Congrats on your pregnancy.

Unfortunately the #1 cause of death of a pregnant woman is murder and it is usually by the significant other, these men are typically sociopaths.

I can imagine it being an uncomfortable topic for you right now.

Good luck and I think people should keep their hands to themselves unless invited.

the world needs more men like your husband.....
congrats on your baby :)

Maybe I've been here too long.....but I would say that stats say that women have more to fear from their significant others then complete strangers...and of course it sounds like your husband is NOT someone who is going to hurt you. Strangers (and even friends) sure seem to love pregnant women though....I've never had any strangers want to touch me when I was pregnant but so many seem to find my friends.

Thought I would take this opportunity to post this link:

http://www.thejusticeforallcoalition.com/

Ebony Robinson, Lucy Johnson, Michelle Young, Jenna Nielsen, Janet Christiansen Abaroa, it's time that their unborn children receive some sort of recognition.

It's not about abortion rights, or a woman's right to choose, it's about a woman's free will and their unborn child being taken away from them.

North Carolina needs to act!

http://www.thedurhamnews.com/2010/02/06/200821/arrest-renews-fetal-homicide-debate.html

Snipped entire article at above link*

The issue has been debated in the Triangle after the 2006 slaying of Michelle Young, who was found beaten to death in her Wake County home, and the 2007 killings of Ebony Robinson, who was eight months pregnant when she was shot to death outside Hillsborough, and Jenna Nielsen, who was almost nine months pregnant when her body was found behind a Raleigh convenience store.

It was discussed again last year after Camp Lejeune Marine Lance Cpl. Maria Lauterbach, who was eight months pregnant, was found buried in a Jacksonville back yard.

At least 38 states have fetal homicide laws, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. North Carolina's law states that a person can receive extra jail time if a crime on a pregnant woman leads to miscarriage or stillbirth, but the suspect would not be charged with killing the unborn baby.

State Rep. Pat McElraft, a Carteret County Republican, hopes Monday's arrest renews attention to the issue. She co-sponsored two House bills during the last legislative session, Ethen's Law and The Unborn Victims of Violence Act, that in such instances, would add a murder charge for such crimes.

Both bills were referred to the House Judiciary Committee, where they have yet to be heard. Legislators fear the debate will turn into a pro-life, pro-choice issue, said McElraft, who thinks both bills would pass if heard on the House floor. She's considering pushing the bills again later this year.

"The families of these victims, there is no justice being served when their child and grandchild is murdered," she said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rxpb
Back