GA - Jennifer Ross, 19, shot to death, Savannah, 24 Dec 2005

Shadow205

Reaction score
Associated Press
Originally published January 8, 2006
SAVANNAH, Ga. // Among the manicured bushes and gnarled oaks on Orleans Square, two bouquets of roses lie near the spot where a debutante was shot before dawn on Christmas Eve. A robber shot 19-year-old Jennifer Ross a few hours after she danced with her father at Savannah's Christmas Cotillion, her formal introduction as a woman of society. She died New Year's Day.
<snip>

The Christmas Cotillion that Ross attended on Dec. 23 on Savannah's downtown riverfront "should have been a highlight of her life," her uncle said, remembering his niece in her white gown being presented to the crowd.

Later, after celebrating downtown, Ross and three friends went in search of a taxi. Three men emerged from the shadows of Orleans Square. One struck Ross' friend Bret Finley on the head and demanded his wallet. Finley, 20, told police he heard two shots. Ross recovered enough to talk with family and give a police interview. She died New Year's Day after an artery weakened by the bullet ruptured, said David Simons, a family spokesman.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nationworld/bal-te.deb08jan08,1,3364358.story?coll=bal-nationworld-headlines

No arrests have been made in Jennifer's murder.

Savannah is so beautiful! And I love all the history. Would love to go back and visit again someday. It is too bad that so much crime is happening. Sounds like the Mayor really cares, and he is right when he made the statement about where have all these people complaining been. They turned a blind eye until it hit their backyard. Good for him for having the guts to actually say it!

Crime in Savannah has been out of control for years. It is a racially divided City both Culturally and Politically and is corrupt as all hell. A large percent of Savannahs income is dependent on tourism so the crime rates are consistantly denied and the statistics manipulated. Because so much of the violent crime has been classified as "black on black" IMO very little has been done over the last decade to stop it. It is now bleeding into the tourist and SCAD district and suddently the politicians have a voice because its adventually going to cut into the almighty $$.

Shame on Savannah

I saw this on Greta last night. What a beautiful girl. May her killer(s) be brought to justice. This was so needless. Prayers for her family.

Anderson Cooper did a story on this tonight. According to the story it has sparked racial tension. No arrests have been made in the murder of Jennifer Ross.

Question for Tybee if you see this...

Is Orleans Square the park above the river where the historic warehouses were being redone? There were huge brick buildings once used for cotton warehouses and slave auctions? (I think.)

My hubby was stationed at Hunter Army Airfield during Desert Storm and I visited a few times. That was 15 years ago (OMG!) and it was common to hear of shootings and etc. every night.

Yes, our mayor calls racism every chance he gets. I cant wait to move out of this city! I have lived here my whole life and it is only getting worse. If you think about it we have one of the worst public school systems in the country. We are worse in Georgia, Georgia is on the bottom of the list or near bottom. So basically we are the WORST!!!!!!!!!! Our mayor believes its "racist" that black kids are failing on their test. Its always racism...how about do something there MAYOR??!! Crime is worse in other places, I know but the mayor should look at him and his own "staff" who do not address the black crimes. Its not always racist when its the own race ignoring it....I HAVE TO GET OUT OF THIS TOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!

tybee204 said:
Crime in Savannah has been out of control for years. It is a racially divided City both Culturally and Politically and is corrupt as all hell. A large percent of Savannahs income is dependent on tourism so the crime rates are consistantly denied and the statistics manipulated. Because so much of the violent crime has been classified as "black on black" IMO very little has been done over the last decade to stop it. It is now bleeding into the tourist and SCAD district and suddently the politicians have a voice because its adventually going to cut into the almighty $$.

Shame on Savannah

One of the suspects in the shooting death of 19-year-old Jennifer Ross says he's not to blame. WSAV News 3 was the only television station in the courtroom on Tuesday when 20-year-old Kevin Huckabee pleaded not guilty to murder and aggravated assault charges. During his arraignment Huckabee also asked for a jury trial. There's no word yet on when that trial will begin. Police say ross was shot on Christmas eve during an attempted robbery while she and three others were walking through Orleans Square in downtown Savannah. She died on New Years day. Two other suspects, Webster Wilson and Michael Thorpe, face similar charges.

http://www.wsav.com/midatlantic/sav/news.apx.-content-articles-SAV-2006-08-01-0009.html

Jury Selection is underway for this Trial and opening Statements should begin tomorrow afternoon or Friday morning.

Jury Selection is underway in the Jennifer Ross Murder Trial ( Savannah Debutante Murder)

The three suspects have all pled not guilty and opening statements will likely begin Friday morning. Court TV is here and I believe some of the trial will be broadcast live. I will be attending most of this trial.

http://wtoc.com/Global/story.asp?S=5776917

tybee204 said:
Jury Selection is underway for this Trial and opening Statements should begin tomorrow afternoon or Friday morning.

Thanks for the update, tybee.

Im going to be in Court tomorrow and next week. One of the Defense Lawyers is my neighbor so im anticipating a strong defense (lol even tho they are guilty IMO) Brian Daly also represented Miss Savannah and she was aquited in her trial.

It appears that the "get away driver" and the uncle of one of the three young men accused is the state's star witness and will, of course, testify against the three, in exchange for not being prosecuted.

tybee204 said:
Im going to be in Court tomorrow and next week. One of the Defense Lawyers is my neighbor so im anticipating a strong defense (lol even tho they are guilty IMO) Brian Daly also represented Miss Savannah and she was aquited in her trial.

When I don't have to work anymore (probably never LOL) I'm gonna go watch trials.

The trial is being shown on CTV. It just started today and sounds like it is going to be a long one. The female Pros that did the Opening Statement was really good. The uncle that was with the other three that night turned the guys in. Some people are upset that he didn't get at least some time instead of nothing...walks away scott free.

It was said that one of the problems with the case is that one of the victims said that one of the criminals was a white guy with gold caps on his teeth. All of the defendants are black. The defense says that so much pressure was put of LE that they jumped the gun.

One of the victims did ID the car the defendants had been driving that night. It was found later and I believe it had been stolen. I wonder if they took finger prints from the car to prove who had been in it. It was also said that one of the defendants was bragging about shooting Jennifer.

kato said:
When I don't have to work anymore (probably never LOL) I'm gonna go watch trials.
Oh, Kato. I'm sorry for you. Sometimes, I want to get another job. Sometimes, I don't. I believe that working keeps your mind sharp and focused. I tend to be much more disorganized and get less accomplished now that I am unemployed (or retired, as I like to put it). ;)

I saw that this trial is being televised. I don't know the background. I was wondering what the motive was for shooting this girl. Was it robbery of this girl? Was it an accident, meaning that this girl was just in the wrong place at the wrong time?

It was a robbery. Jennifier Ross and 3 friends were cutting threw Orleans Square walking home from City Market. They had been unable to get a cab so were walking the 2 or 3 blocks to a friends house. Jennifer had been out with friends celebrating her "coming out" that night at her Debutante Ball.

She was shot when she balked at giving up her purse.

Michael Thorpe

Murder: not guilty

Felony murder during the commission of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon of Jennifer Ross: guilty

Felony murder during the commission of aggravated assault with intent to rob: guilty

Felony murder during the commission of possession of a firearm by felon: guilty

Aggravated assault with deadly weapon of Brett Finley: not guilty

Aggravated assault with intent to rob Brett Finley: guilty

Possession of firearm during the commission of the crime of murder of Jennifer Ross: guilty

Possession of firearm during commission of the crime of aggravated assault of Brett Finley: guilty

Theft by receiving stolen property: guilty

Webster Wilson

Felony murder during the commission of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon of Jennifer Ross: not guilty

Felony murder during the commission of aggravated assault with intent to rob: guilty

Felony murder during the commission of possession of a firearm by felon: not guilty

Aggravated assault with deadly weapon of Brett Finley: guilty

Possession of firearm during the commission of the crime of murder of Jennifer Ross: guilty

Possession of firearm during commission of the crime of aggravated assault of Brett Finley: guilty

Kevin Huckabee

Felony murder during the commission of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon of Jennifer Ross: not guilty

Felony murder during the commission of possession of a firearm by felon: not guilty

Aggravated assault with deadly weapon of Brett Finley: not guilty

Possession of firearm during the commission of the crime of murder of Jennifer Ross: not guilty

Possession of firearm during commission of the crime of aggravated assault of Brett Finley: not guilty

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back