GUILTY OH - Richard Woods, 41, Washington Township, 8 Oct 1992

well geez, they sure didn't give us much info here. was the wallet empty or not? anything else missing from the car or from him? where exactly was his body found & in what condition (other that shot twice)? any enemies or difficulties in his life that they know of? sounds like it could have been a random thrill kill or gang/drug killing to me... maybe he witnessed something that happened at the hotel?

I can't find much else about this anywhere but I'll keep looking. Now that the case is reopened there may be more news articles to come.

I have been searching the internet for info on this and can't locate anything. I even tried the "Warren County Sheriff's office" and nothing is coming up?

Does anyone know if this was solved?

Thanks

http://www.wlwt.com/news/warren-county-to-look-for-clues-in-decadesold-slaying/27582596#!bFA4pL

The Warren County Sheriff's Office is going to look for more clues in the area where a Columbus-area man was found dead more than 20 years ago...

The sheriff's office conducted a similar search in 2006.

http://enquirer.com/editions/2003/04/21/loc_coldcasesside.html

Richard Woods, 41, a wealthy furniture salesman from Dublin, Ohio, disappeared Oct. 8, 1992, after a sales call at the former Just Living Rooms store at the Colony Square Shopping Center in Lebanon. Two days later, his 1990 green Lexus was found at a rest stop on Interstate 71 near Lebanon. His wallet was found empty on Nixon Camp Road a few days later. On Nov. 9, his body was found near Middleboro Road in Washington Township, not far from an Interstate 71 exit ramp about 8 miles from Lebanon. He had been shot twice in the head. A gold necklace still hung from his neck.

Clues sought in 1992 slaying of Dublin man in southwestern Ohio

Detectives say they are searching a ravine in southwestern Ohio for evidence in a 22-year-old unsolved murder of a Dublin man.

Barriers went up and a road was closed on Monday as investigators looked for unspecified evidence. The search is expected to take most of the week.

Source:

http://mobile.dispatch.com/coldispatch/db_338961/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=8zzoxguW

I wonder what they think they'll find after all this time?

I wonder what they think they'll find after all this time?
The murder weapon, I suppose. I'm curious about what sparked this search. It's been eight years since the case was re-opened. Why search the ravine now?

Here's a wild guess. Perhaps bullets from a recently investigated cold case turned out to be a match of the bullets removed from Woods' body. Now it's become a priority to recover the weapon because it could help to solve multiple cold cases.

Like I said, it's just a wild hunch.

The murder weapon, I suppose. I'm curious about what sparked this search. It's been eight years since the case was re-opened. Why search the ravine now?

Here's a wild guess. Perhaps bullets from a recently investigated cold case turned out to be a match of the bullets removed from Woods' body. Now it's become a priority to recover the weapon because it could help to solve multiple cold cases.

Like I said, it's just a wild hunch.

No, it's a good idea. Something like a weapon or bullets would likely still be there. But like you, I found the timing pretty odd. There had to be something that pointed them there.

They've made an arrest :) Another example of detectives' hard work and tenacity paying off. It's never too late to seek justice for a victim!

Ohio authorities cite furniture sales rivalry in '92 killing

"A man arrested this week in Arizona in a 23-year-old homicide was a furniture sales competitor of the slain man in Ohio, authorities said Friday.

(...) "on Oct. 8, 2015, the family of Richard Woods woke up with the thought of the 23rd anniversary of his death on their mind," Major John Burke of the Warren County, Ohio Sheriff's Office told CBS affiliate WKRC. "About 1,875 miles away from them, in Phoenix, Ariz., Sam Perone, unknown to him, was about to be woken up to face justice."'

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ohio-authorities-cite-furniture-sales-rivalry-in-92-killing/

People used to be innocent until proven guilty. This arrest is political because the Prosecutor is running for re-election. Arrested on the anniversary of the victims death?? Coincidence?? I do not think so it is too Theatrical.
The wife was the last person to speak to the victim. She knew his location. Have they investigated her?
He was at a rest stop places notorious for crimes that are now staffed for the most part with security. Is it possible Richard Woods was a victim of random violence and or robbery?? Was that ever investigated??

First off, I just wanted to make it clear that I never insinuated that the person arrested is guilty. Honestly I have no clue, and I was simply 'reporting' the news. I don't think that the announcement on the anniversary of the Richard's murder was a coincidence, and I admit it did add a bit of a intrigue to the case. That being said, I'm not sure that the date of the arrest announcement has any real import as this case continues to move forward.

Are innocent people arrested and/or convicted, yes, of course they are. The authorities can and do make mistakes. There also have obviously been instances where something more nefarious has happened and 'evidence' has been mishandled, fabricated, etc. in an attempt to further a professional or personal agenda. If that is what happened here, I sincerely hope it not only comes to light, but that the prosecutor is prosecuted themselves.

I have no insider information on this case. I've read all of the articles I could find, but those simply include information released to the public. That being said, my educated guess would be that the wife was investigated. Most likely thoroughly. When a man or woman is murdered, I think it's fairly well known that the spouse/boyfriend/girlfriend/ex are initially some of the first people that the authorities look at as suspects.

Is it possible that Richard Woods was a victim of random violence or robbery. Of course it's possible. Robbery is a fairly common motive so I'd think and hope that this angle was investigated as well.

@JaneRiordan, do you know more about this case than has been reported? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts! The business world can be ultra-competitive and while a business rivalry does present a possible motive, that fact alone in no way proves guilt.

The man, arrested in Phoenix and charged with the 23-year old murder, makes his first appearance in a Lebanon courtroom. Sam Perone is charged with the murder of Richard Woods.

Richard Woods was a furniture salesman from Dublin, Ohio. His last stop on the day he disappeared in 1992 was Sam Perone's furniture store in Lebanon. (...)

Perone was always a suspect but law enforcement officers didn't feel they had enough to charge him with Woods' murder. DNA technology has advanced and recently prosecutors believed they had enough to take the case to the grand jury. The grand jury indicted Perone on a murder charge.

(...) The judge ordered Perone held on $750,000 bond. If he posts bond, he must stay in Warren County and surrender his passport.

http://www.local12.com/news/feature...for-1992-murder-of-Richard-Woods-218831.shtml

Guilty plea in decades-old Warren County cold case

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2016/10/18/guilty-plea-decades-old-warren-county-cold-case/92362778/

For Richard Woods' family, Sam Perone's guilty plea merely confirmed what they had long ago accepted as truth.

They gained no pleasure, they said, from an 11-year prison sentence handed down by Warren County Court of Common Pleas Judge Donald E. Oda's II. That wasn't going to bring back their beloved husband and father who, in October of 1992, was shot twice in the back of the head during a business dispute with Perone.

"We don't seek vengeance or retribution. That's not who we are," Sue Woods-Schneier, Woods' widow, said in a statement from the witness stand.

The family received the justice they sought Tuesday when Perone agreed to a plea deal, and said the word "guilty" in court.

Perone pleaded guilty to one charge each of voluntary manslaughter, a first-degree felony, and gross abuse of a corpse, a fifth agree penalty. He'll serve an 11-year prison term counting a year of time already served for the voluntary manslaughter charge and a concurrent 12-month term for the second charge.

What a relief for this poor man's family. They will finally see some justice.

This Perone man sounds like a cruel, sociopathic monster and certainly a pathological liar. What a shame that he's been able to live in peace and freedom all these years after killing an innocent man. From reading articles after his arrest last year, it sounds as though he had his friends in Arizona fooled - upstanding citizen, decorated war hero, etc.

WILLIAMS_LAMONTE-e1476907449537.jpg

An Arizona man admitted Tuesday that he fatally shot a rival furniture salesman 24 years ago in Ohio.

Sam Perone, 68, will serve a decade in prison for voluntary manslaughter and gross abuse of a corpse in the death of Richard Woods. Woods' body was found with gunshot wounds to the head in a ravine near Perone's Lebanon store.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/1...re-salesman-admits-killing-rival-in-1992.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BossJoss
Back