Year's Best Meteor Shower Peaks Tonight

Dark Knight

Reaction score
The Geminid meteor shower, a reliable annual display, peaks tonight and into the pre-dawn. For skywatchers with dark, clear skies, this dazzling display should produce up to 120 meteors per hour.

The best time to watch is tonight or anytime between midnight and dawn Thursday.

Unlike the highly-touted Leonid meteor shower, which disappointed many skywatchers last month, the Geminids are known for dependability.

"Start watching on Wednesday evening, Dec. 13, around 9 p.m. local time," said Bill Cooke of NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office. "The display will start small but grow in intensity as the night wears on. By Thursday morning, Dec. 14, people in dark, rural areas could see one or two meteors every minute."

The Geminids are bits of debris cast off by 3200 Phaeton, a strange asteroid-like object that scientists think might be a burned-out comet. "No one can decide what it is," Cooke said.

The object orbits the Sun and crosses the path of Earth's orbit. Pieces of material typically no larger than a pea vaporize as they slam into Earth's atmosphere.

Geminids tend to be slow compared to other shooting stars, and some of them will be very bright.

"This shower has a reputation for being rich both in slow, bright, graceful meteors and fireballs as well as faint meteors, with relatively fewer objects of medium brightness," said Joe Rao, SPACE.com's skywatching columnist. "Many appear yellowish in hue. Some even appear to form jagged or divided paths."

Viewing tips and more at link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20061213/sc_space/yearsbestmeteorshowerpeakstonight&printer=1

Thanks, DK. For the first time, I live in a place where night lighting is restricted and there is very low humidity. I'll look for the "falling stars."

Nova said:
Thanks, DK. For the first time, I live in a place where night lighting is restricted and there is very low humidity. I'll look for the "falling stars."
Just don't fall in the ocean wandering around in the dark, LOL! Chompy chompy! Nova--->:croc: <--opportunistic gator/sharky

I saw several of them about 2am this morning, including one really bright one. It wasn't quite as intense as the article made it sound, but it was pretty cool! (And COLD, lol.)

DARN IT! Why do I always find out about these amazing things after the fact???

We couldn't see a thing for all the fog! Last months were a bust too. I wanted to see shooting stars!!

Your opportunities haven't ended yet....from the article:

While (Wednesday night) and Thursday morning offer the best bet, up to 30 or even 60 meteors per hour might grace the skies Thursday night and Friday morning. The shower, which got going last weekend, will then taper off rapidly, offering a few stragglers into the weekend.

What time should we look in the sky? Can we see anything as long as it is dark or do I have to be up at 2 a.m.??

nanandjim said:
What time should we look in the sky? Can we see anything as long as it is dark or do I have to be up at 2 a.m.??
Read the article for viewing tips, it might be different for each area.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back