CA CA - Harry Kees, 41, San Francisco, 18 July 1955

2sisters

Reaction score
I thought this was interesting. There is much info about him and his poetry is good, and I am not much into poetry, but I liked what I read. I know he was mentioned on the Bedford John Doe thread at one point. I am having trouble linking his Doe page but it is case file 2338DMCA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weldon_Kees

2sisters said:
I thought this was interesting. There is much info about him and his poetry is good, and I am not much into poetry, but I liked what I read. I know he was mentioned on the Bedford John Doe thread at one point. I am having trouble linking his Doe page but it is case file 2338DMCA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weldon_Kees
Here is the Doenetwork file on him, along with a link:

-----------------------------------

Weldon Kees
Missing since July 18, 1955 from San Francisco, California
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: 1914
Age at Time of Disappearance: 41 years old
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Weldon Kees was last seen in San Francisco, CA on July 18, 1955. His car was found abandoned near the Golden Gate Bridge. If he jumped off the bridge, no body was ever found. He had told a friend that he wanted to start a new life in Mexico. He had also suggested that he might kill himself. His disappearance has been treated as a presumed suicide. When his friends went to search his apartment, all they found were his cat and a pair of red socks in the sink. His sleeping bag and savings account book were missing. He left no note. Kees was a poet and a painter.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
San Francisco Police Department
415-553-0123

Source Information:
Modern American Poetry
Wikipedia
The Doe Network: Case File 2338DMCA

LINK:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2338dmca.html

This is an updated Doenetwork file and link to this case...

----------------------------------
Harry Weldon Kees
Missing since July 18, 1955 from San Francisco, California
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: Feburary 24, 1914
Age at Time of Disappearance: 41 years old
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male.

Harry Weldon Kees was last seen in San Francisco, CA on July 18, 1955. He was last heard from on the afternoon of the 18th when he talked to some friends on the telephone.

His car, a 1954 Plymouth Savoy, was found on the north side of the Golden Gate Bridge with the keys in the ignition on July 19, 1955. If he jumped off the bridge, no body was ever found.

He had told a friend that he wanted to start a new life in Mexico. He had also suggested that he might kill himself. His disappearance has been treated as a presumed suicide.

When his friends went to search his apartment, all they found were his cat and a pair of red socks in the sink. His sleeping bag and savings account book were missing. He left no note. Kees was a poet and a painter.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
San Francisco Police Department
415-553-0123

Source Information:
Modern American Poetry
Wikipedia
The New Yorker
The Doe Network: Case File 2338DMCA

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2338dmca.html

I've read a lot about this man. He's a Nebraska Native and grew up in a town near here. (Beatrice, NE) I don't think he jumped. I think he grew tired of the rat race and decided to make a new life for himslf. IMO. If he kept up his drinking, heavy smoking and risky behavior, he might have ended up dead shortly after this though.

Oh, and another thing. I even thought maybe he could have changed his identity to become the infamous George Brody from the Anna Waters case, but apparently Brody did not smoke, (Though he did supposedly die from throat cancer which is fairly common in smokers).

Ive searched for hours to find out how tall Kee's was. First person who can tell me wins the sleuther of the year award!!! LOL

This is just theory based on photos... but I think it's a good place to start. You may find other photos that might help more.

Normal bricks are 2 1/4 inches tall... based on bricks in background of photo on web site
Weldon Kees would have been approx. 5'6 inches tall.
http://www.conjunctions.com/webcon/kees.htm

Based on a normal barrel height of 34 inches
the barrel in the photo appears to be half the height of Weldon Keys
which would also result in his height being 5'6
scroll down page a bit to see photo with barrell... http://mockingbird.creighton.edu/NCW/kees.htm

I can't find the thread right now, sorry but... wasn't there a man's body found by a tree with a bunch of poetry books in this time period? I know there were 2 that were close one was a young man who committed suicide, probably wouldn't fit but then there was one that was older, I think the remains were skeletal, sorry I can't recall more specifics.

I can't find the thread right now, sorry but... wasn't there a man's body found by a tree with a bunch of poetry books in this time period? I know there were 2 that were close one was a young man who committed suicide, probably wouldn't fit but then there was one that was older, I think the remains were skeletal, sorry I can't recall more specifics.

One of the threads you speak of is http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30757

Michael Grieg wrote a book called "Fire in His Hand" about Kees. Grieg was Kees best friend at the time of his death. He gives his theories on Kees disappearance. It would be an interesting read for anyone serious in trying to track down Kees. I don’t think he committed suicide.

In an email I received last year from James Reidel author of "Vanished Act: The Life and Art of Weldon Kees" he states the man in the previously named post was not close to being the size or weight of Kees.

From what I've read...

The person who financially benefited most from Harry's disappearance, described by Harry's father as "grabby" for his rifling through HWK's possessions after his death, Grieg was also the main person to deal with police afterwards as 'spokeperson', and also the person who related Harry's suicide/relocation comments.

Anyone think Grieg might've "helped" Harry to vanish?

The fact that Lonesome was gone really trips my wires. Who puts their cat in a car, drives it to a bridge, tucks it under their arm and leaps? Okay, people have done crazier things -- but I don't think HWK was that cruel or delusional.

So then we have the Mexico angle, which Grieg apparently supports. HWK leaves his entire life, paperwork, money, precious books, everything behind at the drop of a hat -- but takes the cat? And then never contacts --anyone-- ever again? I think it's unlikely (especially the books part, I know writers who'd brave a burning building for the sake of saving a 1st edition), but way more likely than someone hauling their cat off a bridge.

Anyone else think there's something wrong, there?

WKees.jpg
WKees1.jpg
WKees2.jpg

Name: Harry Weldon Kees
Case Classification: Missing
Missing Since: July 18, 1955
Location Last Seen: San Francisco, San Francisco County, California

Physical Description
Date of Birth: February 24, 1914
Race: White
Height: Unknown
Weight: Unknown
Hair Color: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Identifiers
Dentals: Not Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Not Available

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Harry Weldon Kees was last seen in San Francisco, CA on July 18, 1955. He was last heard from on the afternoon of the 18th when he talked to some friends on the telephone.

His car, a 1954 Plymouth Savoy, was found on the north side of the Golden Gate Bridge with the keys in the ignition on July 19, 1955. If he jumped off the bridge, no body was ever found.

He had told a friend that he wanted to start a new life in Mexico. He had also suggested that he might kill himself. His disappearance has been treated as a presumed suicide.

When his friends went to search his apartment, all they found were his cat and a pair of red socks in the sink. His sleeping bag and savings account book were missing. He left no note. Kees was a poet and a painter.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: San Francisco Police Department
Agency Contact Person: N/A
Agency Phone Number: 415-553-0123
Agency E-Mail: SFPDMissingPersonsUnit@sfgov.org
Agency Case Number: N/A

NCIC Case Number: Unknown
NamUs Case Number: Unknown

Information Source(s)
Modern American Poetry
Wikipedia
The New Yorker