Anyone wacthing Ford's Ceremony?

JDB

Tybee you will never be forgotten
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Some older gentleman just collapse

Hi JDB, Some old cronie of Pres. Fords from Michigan. Such an odd deal this evening ceremony has been, the casket coming off the plane, the motorcade driving by his old house on the way to the ceremony. Chaney doesn't look too good - where is Bush?

Watching the Color Guard and troops that marched, I wondered who and how these formalities were designed. Every country has such different ways to do this, and the English I think have it absolutely mastered.

Happy New Year Sweetie! Miss that 'ole Hossie :D It was a great sillouette.

Scandi

Bush is still on vacation in Crawford; I think he's showing up in Washington Tues. for that ceremony.

Just finished watching it. Katie Kouric (sp?). Heard speeches and watched family leave. I lived in the DC area during the time of Nixon and Ford. Remember it all as daily news in the Washington Post. He seemed like such a real down to earth person.

God speed Mr. President. And bless Betty, the love of his life.

scandi said:
Hi JDB, Some old cronie of Pres. Fords from Michigan. Such an odd deal this evening ceremony has been, the casket coming off the plane, the motorcade driving by his old house on the way to the ceremony. Chaney doesn't look too good - where is Bush?

:confused: Scandi - I thought Cheney looked pretty good considering they were very good friends. I also thought he made an excellent speech. Lynn on the otherhand looks worse for the wear imo. What a trooper Betty is! I can't believe how much standing she's done, but maybe she insisted on that.

I have been watching all evening. Family arranged most of the activities. Learned of Fords 30 30 club, sounds great.
30 members of his high school football team, he was team captain. They met every year at Thanksgiving, except when he took office and he invited them all to the White House.

A great, and well grounded human being, with no sweetheart in a back room somewhere.

Bob Dole looked so bad, pale and his eyes looked very strange.

I visited Alexandria this past summer, beautiful country.

Someone explain the Navy 'piping in' part of it?

Wonder who the person was who collapsed? They sure rounded up help quickly, and the wheel chair and chairs.

Cheney was very eloquent loved listening to him.

http://federalvoice.dscc.dla.mil/federalvoice/030716/navycc.html

<snip>

A special feature of the Navy ceremony is the custom of "piping" a distinguished visitor "over the side," which dates back to the times of wooden ships, when senior officers would visit ships in small launches.

As the launch approached a ship, the boatswain mate would use his pipe to muster a crew of men, called "sideboys," to assist the senior officers in coming aboard, hence the term "piping." A sling would be lowered to the launch and the officer would be strapped in and hoisted to the ship's quarterdeck.

Since the seniority of the officer was often an indication of his bulk, the more senior the officer, the larger the number of men needed to hoist him up and "over the side" of the ship. Once on the ship, the assembled crew would take their stations on each side of the officer, lifting him out of the sling. Hence the term "sideboy." The same procedure was used in reverse when senior officers departed the ship.

Hope this helps Camper.

I did watch part of the ceremony. Yes, Dole did look bad. Definitely much older.

BTW, are you snowed in? We'll try to dig out some tomorrow. Snow finally stopped this afternoon.

President Ford was in the Navy during WWII. That's why I think he was accored that honor.

My son was Navy before he went into the reserves and now Air Force reserve.

I swear I saw Tricia Nixon Cox and her husband Ed behind the podium. Also Mary Cheney and her partner. Anyone else catch this?

Am I watching it? No not at all--Ford has always been ranked by the American people as near the lowest with respect to his presidency--Only Lyndon Johnson and Nixon are held with less respect

Peter Hamilton said:
Am I watching it? No not at all--Ford has always been ranked by the American people as near the lowest with respect to his presidency--Only Lyndon Johnson and Nixon are held with less respect
I think history will be kinder.

Found out the name of the gentleman who fell ill: "The ceremony was briefly interrupted when, after the opening prayers, a retired Michigan congressman collapsed. The congressman, William Broomfield, 84, was treated by medical attendants and by Senator Bill Frist of Tennessee, the departing majority leader, who is also a physician."

BarnGoddess said:
http://federalvoice.dscc.dla.mil/federalvoice/030716/navycc.html

<snip>

A special feature of the Navy ceremony is the custom of "piping" a distinguished visitor "over the side," which dates back to the times of wooden ships, when senior officers would visit ships in small launches.

As the launch approached a ship, the boatswain mate would use his pipe to muster a crew of men, called "sideboys," to assist the senior officers in coming aboard, hence the term "piping." A sling would be lowered to the launch and the officer would be strapped in and hoisted to the ship's quarterdeck.

Since the seniority of the officer was often an indication of his bulk, the more senior the officer, the larger the number of men needed to hoist him up and "over the side" of the ship. Once on the ship, the assembled crew would take their stations on each side of the officer, lifting him out of the sling. Hence the term "sideboy." The same procedure was used in reverse when senior officers departed the ship.

Hope this helps Camper.

I did watch part of the ceremony. Yes, Dole did look bad. Definitely much older.

BTW, are you snowed in? We'll try to dig out some tomorrow. Snow finally stopped this afternoon.

--->>>Thank you BG, my oldest bro was Navy WWII, 9 round trips across the Atlantic. Grandson in CG now, catching drug runners from Haiti and Etc.

I have 3 foot drifts from front door to sidewalk, same in two lanes of my three lanes of my personal driveway. Trees are suffering. Major drifts and plowed snow piles. in street. NOTHING compared to your situation on the plains. I know about rural thingies from my own past experience.

Did you hear Peter Boyles last week, asking for memorable names for these two snowstorm/blizzards. One caller called it, 'Denver The Piled High City'. I have not gone out since the first one hit. I can get OUT, but my back is still in recovery mode.

Have you gotten out, or are you in a 'have to get out to go to work? Caring for large farm animals are a totally different story than mine, AND private access road that needs to be cared for, I think about you often. Take care.

Peter Hamilton said:
Peter, I can't understand why you feel such animosity toward a sincerely nice man. I'm confused by your post.

Camper, we're not that badly trapped. A neighbor called early yesterday to have us watch out for his missing cattle. Another neighbor found them and plowed up the road from the highway to bring them a bale of hay. This morning it was interesting to see the cattle come down the road, the rancher on his horse and the big loader pushing them along. I really need to go to work on Tuesday, so I hope they have the highway open by then. They're reporting huge drifts on the highways. Since the state has taken care of Denver, they need to send more trucks with plows out here. The neighbors who work for CDOT said last night they only sent two trucks out this way. The BarnGod is on the tractor now to see if he can get to their house to plow their drive some and feed their dog and cat.

Stay put and stay warm Camper.

Watching the national news this morning BarnGoddess, I thought about you.
They said there would be at least 2' of smow today east of Denver, and I know that's where you are. I am so glad you have a Mr. BarnGoddess! :D

Scandi

BarnGoddess said:
Peter, I can't understand why you feel such animosity toward a sincerely nice man. I'm confused by your post.

Camper, we're not that badly trapped. A neighbor called early yesterday to have us watch out for his missing cattle. Another neighbor found them and plowed up the road from the highway to bring them a bale of hay. This morning it was interesting to see the cattle come down the road, the rancher on his horse and the big loader pushing them along. I really need to go to work on Tuesday, so I hope they have the highway open by then. They're reporting huge drifts on the highways. Since the state has taken care of Denver, they need to send more trucks with plows out here. The neighbors who work for CDOT said last night they only sent two trucks out this way. The BarnGod is on the tractor now to see if he can get to their house to plow their drive some and feed their dog and cat.

Stay put and stay warm Camper.

--->>>Memories of times past in our rural home. Poppie plowing with our John Deere tractor. Both the tractor and Poppie are gone now. My youngest baby born in Oct. 34 years ago, neighbors came on their big tractor with their entire family on it, bringing a new baby gift. SNOW up the yingyang, for Halloween that year.

I GOT out early this morning to acquire my 'oysters' for New Years. I was so ALONE on the road, and nearly alone in the grocery store. It was eerie. Fresh Bing Cherries from Chile, good grief, got some of those.

Yes Peter you are quite uncharitable, how come? Do you know something that the rest of us don't? Did you play football against Univ of Michigan?

I am not up for a fight, but gee whiz, nice counts too.

"Attending" the services today, and I am pleased at the respect being shown. Those who knew him, served with him, worked with him. Regardless of any political views, the country is showing respect for a past president and his family and it makes me proud. The younger ones here will see the passing of other past presidents, hopefully a long time from now. Some more popular than others but all deserve respect.

I have been to military funerals before and always jump with the 21 gun salute and even did from the TV screen. And Hail to the Chief, playing of America, the Honor Guard - all of this spreads chills for me.

lorann said:
"Attending" the services today, and I am pleased at the respect being shown. Those who knew him, served with him, worked with him. Regardless of any political views, the country is showing respect for a past president and his family and it makes me proud. The younger ones here will see the passing of other past presidents, hopefully a long time from now. Some more popular than others but all deserve respect.

I have been to military funerals before and always jump with the 21 gun salute and even did from the TV screen. And Hail to the Chief, playing of America, the Honor Guard - all of this spreads chills for me.
Me too, Lorann. Am itching to head north to Grand Rapids (one hour drive) to pay my respects, but there are no shuttles and you must use the few city lots available. Though it's a grand day for a walk in Michigan, sunny and about 40 degrees. Downright balmy for us.

I try to always watch State funerals. I love seeing all the beauty and pomp. I thought this one showed a lot fo good taste and I liked the readings done by the two children of G Ford also

I'm watching on MSNBC; Chris Matthews, and I thought Olbermann was supposed to narrate. It's interesting to hear what people say about him - people who've worked with him, etc. Only in office 2 years, he hardly had a chance to do much, but one said he should be called "the great healer", because that was what he tried to do at that time.

Well, he was certainly a healer but hardly great---he's seen basically as a nice honest guy who didn't do too much, sort of like Carter

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater
Back