Reaction score
Website
Visit site
This is so sad.

Click to read article

Natalee Holloway's stepfather seeks divorce

The Associated Press

Published on: 01/05/07

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — The stepfather of Natalee Holloway, the Alabama teen who disappeared in Aruba in 2005, has filed for divorce from Holloway's mother, Beth Twitty.

George "Jug" Twitty filed divorce papers in Jefferson County Circuit Court on Dec. 29. The court filing said the couple separated Dec. 15 and have "such a complete incompatibility of temperament that the parties can no longer live together."

The Birmingham News reported the court filing Friday.

Jug Twitty declined comment on the divorce proceedings, and a phone message left for Beth Twitty on Friday was not immediately returned.

The couple attracted international attention after Holloway, then 18, disappeared in Aruba on May 30, 2005, while on a graduation trip with fellow students from Mountain Brook High School.

The Twittys appeared together during the early stages of the search. As it dragged on, Jug Twitty returned to Birmingham, and Beth Twitty remained in Aruba for almost three months.

How sad! But I guess it isn't surprising, considering the stress they've both been under.

right, but remember... it may have happened anyway, regardless of her daughter's disappearance.

reb said:
right, but remember... it may have happened anyway, regardless of her daughter's disappearance.

Have you followed the case reb? I don't think it would have happened anyway. The strain on them must have been unbearable to say the least. Beth feels she has to go from state to state to give speaches to warn and protect students while traveling from the likes of the 3 suspects and places like Aruba. I think the need to do what she does comes from feeling helpless in bringing justice to the ones responsible for her daughters death/disappearence. Their lives have changed forever.

Back when Natalee disappeared, and Beth initiated the battle to find her, the thought came to me that this would probably eventually lead to the divorce of Beth and Jug. He wasn't ready to give his life to the quest of finding out what happened to Natalee, plus being able to accept all of the trauma, and emotions, that Beth was going to go through with the loss of her daughter.

Unfortunately a tragedy alters the dynamics of a relationship. Sometimes it brings them closer together, but more often it seems the opposite happens, and couples split.

Pepper said:
Unfortunately a tragedy alters the dynamics of a relationship. Sometimes it brings them closer together, but more often it seems the opposite happens, and couples split.
Pepper,

You are so correct. Another aspect that also follows especially for women, we grieve and will will do anything that we possibly can to amends our child's death, as a man does not have the same nurturing quality, it does not mean that he does not care.
Usually in cases like this it either brings them closer together, or they just drift apart till they no longer share the same dreams any longer.

It still is very sad. I really believe that Beth will never find out exactly what transpired that last night, as I always felt from day (1) that her daughter's body went into the ocean.

I believe that her speaking to students helps to give her peace, and for now that is all that counts!

:angel:

This news makes me sad. Prayers for Beth and all of Natalee's family. :angel:

My heart breaks for this family. I wish only good things for all of them from now on.

It is sad :( .. I feel for both of them.. It's got to be tough on a marriage, especially when there is murder involved and no closure to it :(

Lynda said:
Pepper,

You are so correct. Another aspect that also follows especially for women, we grieve and will will do anything that we possibly can to amends our child's death, as a man does not have the same nurturing quality, it does not mean that he does not care.
Usually in cases like this it either brings them closer together, or they just drift apart till they no longer share the same dreams any longer.

It still is very sad. I really believe that Beth will never find out exactly what transpired that last night, as I always felt from day (1) that her daughter's body went into the ocean.

I believe that her speaking to students helps to give her peace, and for now that is all that counts!

I agree that Natalee is in the ocean and Beth will never have all the answers she is seeking.

The one thing that bothers me about Beth is her insistence that Natalee would never......... (fill in the blanks). As a parent with grown children, it's amazing the things your kids will confess to, once they are grown up and have some common sense.

I hope when Beth is speaking to students, she advises them to keep to a buddy system and never go out alone when away from home (on a trip in an unfamiliar environment). A simple precaution like this might have saved Natalee. Another simple precaution - don't drink to excess, and never leave your drink unattended.

What a trying time for both of them. If one parent gives "too much" in one direction to come to terms with what happens to a child and the other doesn't give what some might consider "quite enough" then tempers can flare, emotions can run like the waves in the ocean, and resentment can set in, even finger-pointing.

For example, Jug could feel she doesn't spend enough time with him; he could think she should move on with her life and be a wife to him and a mother, too.
It's like the saying "being between a rock and a hard place", which is never comfortable.

I remember the movie "We were the Mulvaneys" about the Catholic high shcool girl who gets r*ped by a jerk from a powerful and wealthy family. It tore the entire family apart. And although it's a different situation, it's roughly the same outcome.

Prayers for Beth and Jug, so that they can each find serenity in their lives.

Lynda said:
Pepper,

---------------

Lynda and Pepper, both are so right.I know from my son's illness that it is so hard for the parents.On top of it Jug is Natalees stepdad.Please dont get me wrong I am sure he cared very much for Natalee~i think I am trying to say it is hard enough on the biological parents and harder in a way on step parents.I know there were times tempers flared between Joe and I and ours was illness not disappearance.I did not give up until my son took his last breath and even then I stayed at his side,oblivious to people until they sealed the casket.Men Are different not meaning they dont love as we do but I think at times like this they have the strength to look at a situation more realistically than women.My heart goes out to all concerned as many lives have been affected and will never be the same.God Bless them all.IMO

I also wonder if Beth was more easily angered/upset after what happened to Natalee. Perhaps she took some of her frustration and anger at the impossible, horrible situation out on Jug. Understandable; we tend to be hardest on those we love most at stressful times. This whole thing: Natalee's disappearance and the apparent unsolvability of her case, which has likely led to the destruction of Beth and Jug's marriage...it's just all such a terrible, terrible tragedy. Whoever killed Natalee just ruined so many, many lives. I'm sure Jug will always care for Beth and care about Natalee's case, but Natalee wasn't his child, after all, and perhaps it had become too unhealthy a situation for him.
Then again, I feel so extra-bad for Beth and for Natalee's younger brother. Just terrible. Prayers for everyone involved.

This is all so sad. There really is no blame to lay or point to...just a sad, heartfelt tragedy that has taken its toll on this relationship- another loss on top of losing Natalie. Every person mourns and deals with grief and loss so differently and this is no doubt a contributing factor to this situation- no right or wrong answer, sadly!

The perpetrators need to be caught and duly punished imho but the longer time goes on, the more obscure that outcome will be. Just so very sad all around...I wish them both peace and health and hopefully as productive and happy a future as possible.

I worried they would divorce after Natalie went missing. From what I understand it is hard for the parents marriage to survive a death of their child, let alone a step parent and parent.

I think Ms Holloway has a mission in life that she has to follow.It is likely more of a change than Jug bargained for. Let's hope they can be friends and keep respect for each other.
I hope Jug will support Ms. Holloway in her crusade for children.

packerdog said:
Have you followed the case reb? I don't think it would have happened anyway. The strain on them must have been unbearable to say the least. Beth feels she has to go from state to state to give speaches to warn and protect students while traveling from the likes of the 3 suspects and places like Aruba. I think the need to do what she does comes from feeling helpless in bringing justice to the ones responsible for her daughters death/disappearence. Their lives have changed forever.
Can you imagine being in Beth's shoes? I believe that she feels responsible for Natalee's disappearance and probable murder. It was said that Dave was against Natalee going on the Aruba trip, but Beth okay'ed it anyway.

I really think that Beth hasn't slept a wink since Natalee has been missing. I feel sorry for her, her surviving son and her husband, Jug. I can only wish that Beth and Jug would get some serious counseling. Still, I don't know if Beth will ever be able to accept what happened to her only daughter, especially when it is most likely her body will never be found.

The sad thing is that Joran, Satish and Deepak won't miss a beat with their lives. I just hope some day they will get what's coming to them.

nanandjim said:
Can you imagine being in Beth's shoes? I believe that she feels responsible for Natalee's disappearance and probable murder. It was said that Dave was against Natalee going on the Aruba trip, but Beth okay'ed it anyway.

I really think that Beth hasn't slept a wink since Natalee has been missing. I feel sorry for her, her surviving son and her husband, Jug. I can only wish that Beth and Jug would get some serious counseling. Still, I don't know if Beth will ever be able to accept what happened to her only daughter, especially when it is most likely her body will never be found.

The sad thing is that Joran, Satish and Deepak won't miss a beat with their lives. I just hope some day they will get what's coming to them.

Great post Nan, I also hope they get whats coming to them. I pray that Beth finds peace some day.

Oh, how sad......she seems like such a NICE lady! But, who knows, perhaps this will eventually work out for the best.

I know that sometimes a divorce is needed..... and not that it is the case here, but wish we would see more divorces and LESS murders!

Just saying that divorce isn't always the worst thing in the word (just getting through one is sometimes, though!) :( :(

I can certainly understand why it happened; but I feel very, very sorry for them. She might be better off alone for awhile, if she can work through her grief. I'm sure it takes 2-3 years, for even an "initial" stage. Then you might be able to "move on" somewhat. Isn't there another child? The other child need parents too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back