1170 users online (258 members and 912 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 240
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2004

    Baltimore Sun Article 22 January 2000

    Sisters `vanished without a trace'; History: Now that the case of Michele Dorr has been closed, the Lyon sisters remain the only unsolved missing-child case in Montgomery County.

    The Sun - Baltimore, Md.
    Author: Frederick N. Rasmussen
    Date: Jan 22, 2000
    Start Page: 8.E
    Section: TODAY

    Earlier this month, Hadden Clark, convicted of killing 6-year-old Michele Dorr, who disappeared from her Montgomery County home in 1986, finally led Montgomery County police to her grave in a park near the Capital Beltway.

    As the discovery of the grave brought an end to the 13-year-old mystery, it recalled the mysterious and still unexplained disappearance of the Lyon sisters nearly a quarter of a century ago from Wheaton Plaza Shopping Center.

    Katherine and Sheila Lyon, who lived in nearby Kensington, had gone to Wheaton Plaza on March 25, 1975, to buy a pizza. They vanished without a trace. ...

    The Baltimore Sun



  2. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2004

    Fred Coffey and the Lyon Case: 1987 News Article

    Although there have been many, many "persons of interest" connected with the disappearance of Sheila and Katherine Lyon, only one of those persons has ever been named publicly by Montgomery County Police. That person was Fred Howard Coffey, Jr. and he did not become known to investigators until March 1987, some 12 years after the Lyon sisters went missing from Wheaton Plaza.

    Here is an article about Fred Howard Coffey, Jr. which appeared in Montgomery County's daily paper "The Journal" some time in mid March 1987. Note that much of the information was given to the reporter by police officers of Montgomery County, Maryland and of North Carolina.

    It should be noted that later that same month, Montgomery County Police announced to the press that they did not have enough evidence to bring charges against Coffey in the cases of the Lyon Sisters and of Kathy Beatty.

    This article is a snapshot in time which alternates between the known facts of the Lyon case and what police then knew about Fred Coffey. Some events in this narrative are not in chronological order, but remember that it was written 12 years after the girls disappeared.

    I have put a few factual corrections in parens( ), but otherwise the article is as written in March 1987. Note that the author correctly refers to the girls by their last name of LYON, but incorrectly referers to them as the LYONS sisters.

    See here how much was known about Coffey in 1987. Note in this article that Montgomery County Police are careful to say that Coffey is NOT considered a suspect in the Lyon case.

    Also note the very brief mention of a Tape Recorder Man and that police say that they DO NOT believe that Coffey was the man with the tape recorder. The article also mentions that Montgomery County Police had NOT interviewed Coffey.

    The article mentions that Coffey was at the time facing trial for the murder of Amanda Ray in North Carolina. He was subsequently convicted of her abduction and murder and was sentenced to death. A re-trial resulted in the same conviction and sentence. In 1995, during a third re-sentencing, his death sentence was changed to life in prison and he became immediately elligible for parole. He has been denied parole every year since.

    From time to time, prosecutors have promised to bring Coffey to trial for the murders of Neely Smith and Travis King, but to date, no formal charges have ever been brought against him.

    The Article:
    Police Seek to Tie Carolina Molester to Lyons (sic) Sisters
    By Jaleh Hagigh
    Journal Staff Writer
    March 1987

    County police are looking for information that may link a convicted child molester in North Carolina to the disappearance of two sisters who have been missing since 1975.

    Police are trying to trace the activities of Fred Howard Coffey Jr., 41, who began working in the county shortly after Sheila and Katherine Lyon of Kensington vanished from Wheaton Plaza March 25, 1975.

    Police have not questioned Coffey in the Lyons case and he has not been arrested or charged in their disappearance, police said at a news conference yesterday. They also said Coffey is not a suspect in the case.

    Coffey is at the Mecklenburg County jail in Charlotte, N.C., awaiting trial on first -degree murder charge in the death of a boy (actually a girl named Amanda Ray). He also has been sentenced to 50 years in Caldwell County for molesting two (actually three) other children. He could not be reached for comment last night.

    The disappearance of the Lyons (sic) sisters began the most thorough investigation in the history of the county police. The case has baffled police for almost 12 years because no bodies have been found and most leads turned up nothing.

    Det. William C. Campbell said the Coffey tip "is probably the best lead in the case since I've been on it."

    While police have no major leads or suspects in the case, Campbell said they have not given up.

    "Even after 12 years, the interest is still there. The concern is still there," Campbell said. "This is probably one of the best shots that we've ever had. You have to remain optimistic in a case like this."

    Campbell said they also will see if Coffey is connected with the death of Kathy Beatty, 15, whose body was found July 25, 1975, in the woods along Georgia Avenue near the K-Mart store in Aspen Hill.

    Coffey, a 12-year Navy veteran, worked in the data systems section of Vitro Corp. of Silver Spring, from April 24, 1975 to July 31, 1975. Police are asking anyone with information about Coffey and his activities while in the county to call the Wheaton District station.

    The residence Coffey gave to his Vitro boss was the Holiday Motel at 807 S. Frederick Ave. in Gaithersburg, police said. Managers there told The Journal last night that they did not remember Coffey.

    Campbell said police have subpoenaed Vitro's records and are having difficulty finding Coffey's co-workers. Vitro, one of the first scientific firms to locate in the county manufactures defense systems for the Navy, Army, Air Force, and NASA.

    Campbell said Coffey has used the aliases Bobby Davis and Chick in his travels.

    On March 25, 1975, 12-year-old Sheila and 10-year-old Katherine Lyon vanished from the Wheaton Plaza shopping area, one half-mile from their Kensington home.

    Police launched an extensive search for the girls, tracked numerous leads and even contacted Dutch psychic Peter Hurkos, but all to no avail.

    Hurkos, who reportedly had several documented success in criminal cases, sent police a cassette tape indicating where he thought the girls could be found. About 135 national guardsmen and police searched a two-mile area east of Gaithersburg on the north branch of Rock Creek but found nothing.

    One man even said he thought he saw two girls bound in a car in Manassas, Va. while another witness said he saw a man interviewing the sisters with a tape recorder.

    Campbell said Coffey usually chose victims who lived near his home and would lure them into a friendship through his hobbies. One victim was last seen fishing with Coffey. Campbell said they do not believe the man with the tape recorder was Coffey.

    The Lyons (sic) sisters' disappearance evoked a groundswell of support for the family, including the father, John Lyon., a popular announcer at WMAL radio. Lyon declined to comment on the new direction of the case yesterday.

    Police said Lyon does not know Coffey and his name has never surfaced in the investigation until now.

    Campbell called the Coffey lead the best in about 12 years because Coffey was in the area at the time of the sisters' disappearance and has a history of crimes involving children.

    Coffey, a Bristol, Va. native, was convicted of nine counts of child molesting and sentenced Jan 21 (1987) to 50 years in jail, Lt. Henrietta Lane, of the Caldwell County (N.C.) Sheriff's Department, told the Journal. Coffey sexually abused three youths, all under 13 at the time, in Caldwell between 1983 - 1986, she said.

    Several days after Coffey was convicted of child molesting in Caldwell, he was charged in the 1979 death of Amanda Ray, 11 (actually 10) who disappeared July 19, 1979, in Mecklenburg County. Ray died by asphyxiation. Lane said. No trial date has been set for the murder charge.

    Lane said Coffey threatened suicide after he was charged with killing Ray.

    In April 1973, Coffey pleaded guilty to two counts of indecent exposure in Virginia Beach, Va., and in May with two counts of child molesting, also in Virginia Beach, Lane said.

    For both incidents, Coffey was sentenced to a total of three years to be served on supervised probation, Lane said.

    On October 9, 1975, Coffey was convicted of two counts of contributing to the delinquency of a minor while in Norfolk, Va. and was sentenced to one year's probation and fined $50, Lane said.

    Coffey is also a suspect in several other cases, including the death of Neely Smith, 5, who lived in the same neighborhood and Ray and who disappeared in 1981.

    Scattered remains of Smith and Ray were found by police who said witnesses told them Ray and Smith were seen talking to a man fitting Coffey's desctiption before they disappeared, the Charlotte Observer told The Journal.

    Coffey is also a suspect in the Aug. 21, 1986 strangulation death of Travis Shane King, 8, of Bristol, Va. who lived near Coffey's mother, Lane said. King's body was found in Sullivan County, Tenn.

    Coffey went to Bristol High School and served in the Navy from about May 1962 to December (actually September) 1974, Campbell said. Coffey, who had planned a career in the Navy, was discharged from the service because of the Virginia Beach child molesting investigations.

    While Bristol, Va. police were investigating Coffey in the King death, they learned Coffey had spent time in Montgomery County and notified FBI agents in Silver Spring who in turn notified Campbell.

    Police efforts to interview Coffey have been blocked by Coffey's lawyer, Campbell said.

    Coffey lived in Mecklenburg from about 1974 - 1981 and was in Caldwell from 1982 - 86, Lane said.

    Coffey was well spoken, fastidious, but a loner, who liked to associate more with children than adults, Lane said. Coffey, who was raised in a broken home, was married three times and did not hold a job long.

    While in Caldwell, he worked in a furniture manufacturing plant, and convience stores. In Mecklenburg, he worked for an exterminator company and as a dispatcher for a private ambulance service.

    Lane, who has been following Coffey since September 1986, said Coffey applied for jobs where he could be close to children, including camp counselor, and counselor of troubled youths.

    She added, "The people who talked to him and who remembered him all referred to him as different and strange."

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2004

    Washington Star article Sunday 6 April 1975

    This article is also posted under the thread titled "Remembering Sheila and Katherine

    One of the best articles I have read about the Lyon family and the tragic date of 25 March 1975 was written by Mary Ann Kuhn, a reporter for the Washington Star newspaper. This feature story appeared in the Sunday edition on 6 April 1975, only twelve days after Sheila and Kate disappeared.

    Ms. Kuhn interviewed Mrs. Lyon extensively as well as many others mentioned in this article in preparing her story. She wrote down their recollections of events while they were still fresh. And she does so with a style that puts you there with the girls and their family.

    The Washington Star shut down its presses and went out of business in 1982. Star articles are available on microfilm and in bound editions only, because they did not survive into the age of the internet.

    Just a couple of notes; the story gives the girls' and their brother Jay's ages as of their birthdays which occurred between the girls' disappearance date and the date of publication. The words in parens included in the text are all origional to the story itself, not my additons.

    Three photos accompanied this story: One of John and Mary Lyon standing in the girls' bedroom. Another of them walking arm and arm back into the house after speaking to police. And a close-up of Mary Lyon which clearly shows the strain she was under.

    What follows is Mary Ann Kuhn's story as it appeared on 6 April 1975.


    Step by Step in Agonizing Hunt for Sisters
    By Mary Ann Kuhn
    Washington Star Staff Writer
    Sunday, 6 April 1975
    Pages B-1 and B-2

    On the morning of Tuesday, March 25, Mary Lyon awoke slowly, at the sounds of her two daughters, Sheila Mary, 13, and Katherine Mary, 11 and her two sons stirring upstairs in their second-floor bedrooms.

    It was 10 a.m. Mary Lyon glanced at her husband, John, 35, a radio announcer for WMAL. "He had worked on the show all night and he had just gotten to sleep," said Mrs. Lyon.

    It was the second day of Easter vacation - the day Mary Lyon also was to sub in a bowling game. It was sunny. Thank God. The day before it had rained and the children had stayed inside most of the day, helping her houseclean.

    Mrs. Lyon, 34, quickly slid from the double bed and stepped onto the dark Oriental design rug beneath her. She wanted to tend to the children before they woke her husband. She tiptoed down the hallway of the white two-story house, past the living room and into the kitchen.

    Someone already had put the morning paper on the kitchen table. She started the coffee. The youngsters came in: Joe, 9, Jay, 15, and her two daughters. All in pajamas and robes.

    Mrs. Lyon sipped coffee from a blue mug. The girls got their breakfast of cereal and toast. Nothing fancy, although Sheila was capable of handling omelettes and french toast. She had learned that in her home-ec course this year.

    Jay, Sheila and Kate Looked at the paper. Mrs. Lyon didn't nag them about what they were eating. It was vacation, and she let the youngsters, at such times eat pretty much what they wanted.

    The girls cleared the table and carried the dishes over to the sink. They didn't bother to load the dishwasher.

    Decision Time. The children had to make up their minds what they were going to do the rest of the day. No sitting around, making a lot of noise and waking their father up.

    "They tend to sit around and sit around and sit around until I tell them to go upstairs and get dressed," said Mrs. Lyon.

    "Come on," she had told the girls, "you've got to make up your minds about what you want to do today."

    That was the scene in the Lyon kitchen nearly two weeks ago, a few hours before Sheila and Kate seemingly vanished into thin air to become the subjects of an unrelenting search that still has not yielded a successful clue as to their whereabouts.

    Picking up the scenario of that Tuesday morning in a conversation in her living room at 3121 Plyers Mill Road, Kensington, Md., the other day, Mrs. Lyon recalled that the phone rang at 11:15 a.m. It was Melanie Ganas, 11, a fifth grader and Kate's best friend. She had called, Melanie said later, "to ask if she could come up and play."

    Melanie and her sister, Cassandra, 16, are frequent companions of Sheila and Kate. The night before they had played gin rummy together until 10 p.m. in the Ganas' Kitchen. They live several doors from the Lyons on the other side of the street.

    "Kate said no, that she couldn't come up to play with me," Melanie, a beautiful dark-eyed little girl, recalled later. "She said she had to go to the Plaza (Wheaton Plaza Shopping Center) and get out of the house because her father was sleeping.

    "She wanted me to go with them and I said, No, my mother doesn't let me walk up there by myself." At that, Melanie cast a glance at her mother, sitting on the other side of the Ganas living room.

    "I believe I said you don't have any business up there," said Mrs. Ganas. "I just never believed in it. I thought there was a possibility of danger with girls going up there at a young age."

    "Everybody walks up there," said Melanie. "Anne does, and her mother is so strict."

    Mrs. Lyon said she hadn't thought it was a good idea for her daughters to go over to the Ganas house that day because "I knew they would be right back over here." She said she was worried they might be too noisy, awakening her husband.

    "I had asked Kate what time she was going to be home," Melanie recalled. "Kate said, 'three.' I said, 'I'll call you then; and Kate said. 'all right.'"

    So Melanie Ganas didn't accompany the Lyon girls that spring afternoon, 12 days ago.


    Sheila and Kate went to Wheaton Plaza by themselves. First, though, they went upstairs to the pale yellow bedroom they share with their stuffed animals and dressed.

    Sheila put on a navy blue sweatshirt and wheat colored jeans that she called her "Cheap jeans" and tennis shoes.

    Kate had on Wrangler blue jeans, a bright gold turtleneck, a red knit jacket and brown shoes.

    Mrs. Lyon told the girls she thought 3 o'clock would be "a good time" to be home.

    "I didn't give them any money," recalled Mrs. Lyon. "They had their own money." She took a sip of her coffee and lighted up a Viceroy. "They get an allowance. They have chores to do. Sheila, Joe and Kate split the Advertiser (newspaper) route every Wednesday. Sheila had just started to babysit."

    "I said to them," she took a drag on her cigarette, "Why don't you stop off at the Orange Bowl (pizza carryout) and get some pizza. I remember Kate complained that a slice of pizza used to be 40 cents and now it's 45 cents."

    It was 11:30 a.m. as the girls got ready to leave. Mrs. Lyon had a half hour to get dressed, wash her short hair, and be on time for her bowling game, her fourth venture at duckpins.

    "I was trying to wash my hair. I was in the bathroom, and they kept saying: 'I'm going now, Mom. I'm going now, Mom.' Then the boys kept asking where the basketball was."

    Mrs. Lyon took another drag. "I was feeling a little bugged," she said. "I don't function well in the morning."

    Sheila and Kate Lyon walked out the front door of their home together, down the flagstone path, out the chain link gate, around the corner to Jennings Road and down Jennings to a wooded path on the left.

    This is the route the girls customarily use to the plaza, their mother said, and the one she often has walked herself.

    It is a 15 minute stroll that took the two sisters beyond a series of red brick houses, past the brick home of Fred Sigmon, a retired federal employee, and his wife, who have lived there 16 years, past the home where Don Anderson, 18, an Einstein high school student lives with his parents, brother and puppy, and through a wooded area the size of two city blocks.

    The wooded path brought them out to a clearing behind the white two-story house of Mrs. Mary Tolker, mother of four, and a former principal of Potomac Elementary School. But Mrs. Tolker wasn't out gardening in her backyard the day the Lyon girls walked to the plaza. She had a dentist appointment at 11 a.m.

    The clearing near Mrs. Tolker's garden opens onto McComas Avenue where the Kensington Gardens Nursing Home sits on the right. The route to Wheaton Plaza continues across McComas, up Drumm Avenue to Faulkner and on top of that street looms Montgomery Ward's and Wheaton Plaza Shopping Center.


    Wheaton Plaza. For the past 15 years it has been there, a neighborhood shopping center if it can be called that with 70 stores, but still much smaller than many of today's huge shopping malls, and more friendly. It's a hangout for some kids. It's an outdoor shopping center surrounded by apartment buildings and private homes where youngsters go as toddlers tugging at their parent's hand and return years later to buy engagement rings and wedding bands.

    "The people who settled here keep on coming back," said John S. Grega, manager for the past 15 years of Winthrop Jewelers. "Some youngsters have brought me in the first cookies they ever baked. The kids knock on the window when they pass by and wave."

    Grega added, "We also have some unusual characters. But not as bad as three or four years ago. Kids on drugs come in."

    March 25, with school out, was one of the busiest days at the plaza. Easter was just five days away. The weather was warm and sunny.

    "It was a madhouse," said Frank E. Pratt, manager of Lerner's. "People were waiting in lines to get into the dressing rooms."

    Next door, at the Orange Bowl pizza carryout, business was booming. Between 12 p.m. and 1 p.m., that Tuesday, The Orange Bowl almost doubled its normal hourly business and by the end of the day had sold 2,400 slices of pizza.

    It was into this busy, teeming shopping scene that the two Lyon sisters walked. Two blond haired girls: Kate, the youngest, "sort of the silly one - the outgoing one" as some friends affectionately put it, and Sheila, the oldest, who they said is "quiet - she would talk when you talked to her."

    Sheila is the cook, the honor roll student at Newport Junior High, the artist, the bowler, a young girl just starting to take outside babysitting jobs - with a secret ambition to be a cheerleader.

    Kate likes to garden, play volleyball, roller skate, read books - and run. "She is really a fast runner - like a bullet," one friend said. And Kate is especially fond of her youngest brother, Joe. She often would dress him and walk him every day to their school, Oakland Terrace elementary.

    Sheila's school is Newport Junior High, to which she rides a bus.

    Sheila's and Kate's faces are not unfamiliar at Wheaton Plaza. The girls like candy and frequently browse through the shops, especially to look at clothes. At least six persons saw them there that Tuesday afternoon.

    One of the first persons to see the girls there was Mrs. Sarah Biosca, a retired seamstress who noticed them at Beckers Leather Goods store, at about 11:45 a.m.

    Mrs. Biosca said one of the girls had stepped in front of her to look at a woman's wallet on display. "The one with the glasses (Sheila) was walking with the other one behind her, and had said, 'Oh, excuse me' to me. She was looking for a wallet, and I heard her say something to her sister like, 'Look at this. Isn't this nice?'"

    Five shops away, Brian McAbee, 18, a clerk at Up Against The Wall, a clothing store featuring jeans and shirts, said, "They were in here. They just came in and looked around. I saw them walk throught the arch."

    Sheila's and Kate's oldest brother, Jay, a ninth grader at Montgomery Hills said he saw his sisters over by the big Easter bunny display in the center of the plaza at about 1 p.m. "I walked past them. They kind of looked like they were waiting there," he said. "I think they saw me but they didn't make any signs."

    Moments later, another 13-year-old boy saw the girls. Sheila, he said, was sitting on one of the Easter bunny's arms listening to the little children come up and tell the Easter bunny what they wanted for Easter.

    Another 13-year-old boy also says he saw a 50 to 60 year-old man recording a conversation with Sheila and Kate at about 2 o'clock. He overheard the man asking one question: "Are any of you two involved in sports?"

    And the youngster says he then saw the man walk away in one direction and the girls in the other. That was the last time they were seen at Wheaton plaza. Police have circulated a composite sketch of the man with the tape recorder, but he has not been located.

    Only one person has reported seeing the girls later that day. At 7:30 that night, David Reed, 12, a seventh grader at Sheila's school, said he saw the two sisters walking in the opposite direction of their home near the intersection of Drumm and Faulkner headed toward the plaza. "I was coming from a friend's house from playing basketball," said David, "I passed them (on the sidewalk) and then I looked back. Why? They're girls." David said he had seen both girls before up at the community swimming pool and had seen Sheila at school.

    At 3:30 p.m., Mrs. Lyon arrived home from her bowling trip. The girls weren't there. She said it was her worst bowling performance ever - so bad, in fact, that she is embarrassed to tell her score.

    Her husband had met her outside the Wheaton Triangle bowling alley. From there they went together to the Kensington bank before it closed and then on to a used bookstore.

    Back home, Mrs. Lyon recalled, "John went in and lay down. I changed my clothes and worked in the front yard for three hours. The boys had come home by then."

    As she was gardening throughout the afternoon, Mrs. Lyon wondered about the girls. "I hadn't told them absolutely they had to be home at 3. So I thought that maybe they had stopped off at a movie or a friend's house."

    The Lyons customarily do tell their children to be home at 6 o'clock for dinner, although the food usually isn't served until 45 minutes later.

    Six o'clock came and went, however, with no sign of the girls. "As we sat down to eat fried chicken," Mrs. Lyon was more angry than worried, so much so that "I even thought I wouldn't give them any chicken when they got home."

    By 7 o'clock, however, the anger had given way to anficty. "I said to John, 'I don't understand this," Mrs. Lyon said, so she and her husband drove in their Ford station wagon down Jennings and up Drumm to Faulkner to see if they could spot their daughters walking home.

    "Back home," said the mother, "I got out my little phone book and started calling their freinds." "John left and went to the Plaza to look some more. He got home at 8 p.m."

    "We were really scared by then. John called the police. I knew when it started to get dark they'd know to come home. But they didn't."

    The Montgomery County Police took the Lyons' call "seriously as soon as I told them how old they were." said Mrs. Lyon "They sent a police car over and took a complete description and the police called all the kids who were friends of my daughters'."

    Still no luck.

    That night, Jay Lyon went upstairs to his sisters' bedroom where Sheila kept her money in a metal tea can. Jay counted the money in it and there was $17 and some odd cents.

    "We go to Myrtle Beach every year," Mrs. Lyon said. "And we encourage the children to save their money for that. I remember Sheila said the day before, 'Hey Mom, I have $20 already.'"

    "Kate had some money but she didn't have near what Sheila did."


    The telephone rings frequently in the Lyon home these days, and a number of people are there. Family, friends, and neighbors. All waiting.

    The other day, as Mrs. Lyon sits on the living-room flowered couch, the phone in the kitchen rings again. Someone answers it. She looks up. They away.

    John's mother sits patiently, knitting. Mary's mother is there, too, as well as two sisters who arrived from out of town. Mrs. Lyon's sisters leave for a brief time and return with a pocketbook plant for her. They bought it at the 7-11 - the last one there.

    Jay arrives home from school. He gets engrossed in a chess game with this cousin, half-kneeling, half-sitting on the green rug.

    Joe comes in from school in his overalls, shirt sleeves rolled up. He puts his arms around his mother's waist and buries his head in her chest.

    They go into her bedroom where he gives her a home-made cupcake which a neighbor up the street had prepared for him. Joe wants his mother to have it.

    Then he opens a folder he had left on the bed. Inside is a color photograph of Kate and her class. He shows his mother a picture of his class.

    Mother and son walk out into the living room. There's no place to sit. She stands in the middle of the room, fussing with Joe's shirt, unrolling his sleeves, straightening his overalls.

    Photographers, cameraman, an anchorman, a reporter are among the new faces. A photogtrapher wants to take a picture of Mary and John Lyon. They sit down at the kitchen table and talk. The camera click, clicks. The photographer leaves.

    Then out to the front stoop where WMAL has a cameraman ready to roll and an anchorman to do an interview. And then back inside the house again because another photographer wants to shoot pictures.

    This time, upstairs. In the girls bedroom with the dainty vanity and the pink flowered vanity skirt and the ruffled white curtains. A poster of rock star John Denver hangs over Sheila's bed -- over Kate's one of Loggins and Messina.

    Mary Lyon hurriedly straightened the pink blanket on Kate's bed before the camera clicks. She says to no one in particular that she is going to let her sisters sleep in the girls' room tonight because last night one of the cots broke.

    The photographer snaps a few pictures of the stuffed animals piled high on Sheila's pink sheets and blue flowered blanket. He does the same for Kate's.

    Mrs. Lyon stands over by the bookcse in a corner of the room pointing out Kate's Bobbsey Twins books. "Kate likes to read," said her mother. " She likes very sad, sentimental stories about orphans and poor little girls. She takes after me that way."

    Neighbors and friends have been wonderful, said Mrs. Lyon, bringing in hams and turkeys and cakes. Friends stop by continually to chat and to help out. Women in the community are busily collecting money, going from house to house, to increase the reward money initiated by WMAL. Even children chip in from dimes to dollars. Nearly $600 was handed over at the end of the week from that source. The Oakland Terrace school where Kate is a pupil gave $100 and the school's PTA donated $50. At St. John the Evangelist Church in Silver Spring, the 9 a.m. Mass was said yesterday for the Lyon sisters - for their safe return.


    It's April 6 and the wait is still on. Mrs. Lyon has changed her mind about a lot of things. "When they come home, Kate can get her ears pierced. And Sheila can wear eye shadow."

    Melanie has two transistor radios wrapped up and waiting as birthday presents for Sheila and Kate, both of whom had birthdays last weekend. There will be a promised birthday dinner out. They'll get their Easter baskets that have been sitting by the fireplace.

    And Kate will have her little brother Joe to walk to school again.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Thanks Richard for posting that! What a great article, rich with detail. I wish I could see the pictures, especially of their room.

    I wish it had rained that March 25, as they most likely wouldn't have gone to Wheaton Plaza that day, as it was an open air mall.

    I saw the neighborhood and shopping center in 2005. Isn't the Lyon house on a angle at the corner of Jennings and Plyers Mill?

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Here, but I'd rather be at the beach
    In this last report it state Melanie Ganas was supposed to call again at 3pm. I wondered if she ever called??
    Children don't stop dancing

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2008

    call back........

    Quote Originally Posted by SharetheLight View Post
    In this last report it state Melanie Ganas was supposed to call again at 3pm. I wondered if she ever called??
    Good point!! If there wasn't anyone home at the Lyon's house, Melanie would have to answer that.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Here, but I'd rather be at the beach
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    You ask some very good questions about Mr. Coffey and his move from Virginia to Maryland. I don't think that anyone has ever been able to answer those specifics, mainly because of the long time between the events of March and April 1975, and the time that he came to the attention of Montgomery County Police in 1987.

    Fred Coffey was a First Class Petty Officer in the US Navy, just finishing his third (4-year) enlistment in Norfolk, Virginia when he was arrested and charged with the rape of a 13-year-old girl in Virginia Beach. The Navy did not prosecute him (that was done by Civil Authorities there), but they did not allow him to re-enlist for a fourth "hitch". He was discharged from the Navy 17 September 1974.
    Coffey had entered the Navy in 1962, when he had just turned 17. His prior duty station (before being stationed in Norfolk) was in Southern California, so he also had contacts on the West Coast. During his West Coast time, he had been deployed to VietNam. This would have been roughly in the 1966 - 1970 time frame.
    It is possible that Coffey may have actually left the Norfolk, VA area prior to his discharge date, because he may have had unused leave on the books. So his exact Virginia departure date is not known - but it probably would have been some time after August 1974 and before April 1975.

    Coffey had family and connections in Bristol, Va and in North Carolina. Bristol is in the extreme west part of Virginia, close to Tennessee and North Carolina. He may have spent some time there in 1974 and 1975.

    When exactly he came to Maryland has not been definitely established, to my knowledge. A newspaper reported (in 1987) that he interviewed for his job at Vitro Laboratories in Wheaton/Aspen Hill/Rockville (they had several offices), Maryland on 1 April 1975, and that he actually began work there on 23 April 1975. LE, however, have indicated that they believe he already had the job prior to leaving Virginia and that he may have gotten assistance through his Navy connections to obtain that employment. Vitro Laboratories was a defense contracting firm which had many contracts with the Navy.

    Coffey listed on his VITRO job application that his address was the Holiday Motel in Gaithersburg/Rockville, northwest of Wheaton, but within an easy commute of all VITRO offices.

    Coffey left his job at Vitro without prior notice in late July 1975. (His departure coincided with a vicious attack on another young girl, Kathy Lynn Beatty,14, of Aspen Hill, MD.) He later sent his employer a letter of resignation, with the explanation for his sudden departure being that his wife and daughter had been injured in a car accident in Kentucky. This was a fabrication and one which he used again with another employer following a departure under suspicious circumstances. So, although the car wreck story was made up, it is possible that he did have a wife and daughter living in Kentucky.

    Coffey was back in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area of Virginia in October 1975 when he was arrested for "Contributing the the Delinquency of a Minor" in an incident involving a 15-year-old girl. By the end of 1975, he had enlisted in the North Carolina National Guard with an Artillery unit.

    Coffey is reported to have owned many vehicles, and as you can see, livid in, or traveled to many different places in the 1974-1975 time frame.

    Regarding the search for the girls, you are correct in that the initial police search centered on the shopping center, nearby woods, and the residential area of Kensington adjacent to Wheaton Plaza. No sign of the girls was ever found there, leading most investigators to think that they were probably taken from the area shortly after the last sighting of them.

    About a month after the girls disappeared, there was a very large scale search involving National Guard, police, helicopters, and numerous volunteers. This search was conducted in wooded areas to the west of Kensington. Articles of clothing were found, but they were determined to NOT belong to the girls. No trace of Katherine or Sheila has ever been found.
    richard i noticed you had military info about Coffey. Is there a place one can go to get military records for people? Just basics like date of enlistment, date of discharge, dates and locations of assignments/deployments?

    i am trying to get some military info on another case and thought you had to either be related, or the person in question to request military record information.

    Any direction you can give me on this would be a huge help and greatly appreciated. I've kinda run into a wall on my other case.
    Children don't stop dancing

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Here, but I'd rather be at the beach
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Here is the text of a UPI feed story which was picked up and printed by a California newspaper on 8 April 1975. It provides some details about the story of the Beige or Tan Ford Station Wagon which was reported by an IBM executive to police as possibly containing the Lyon Sisters and their abductor.

    Of interest is that news of the LYON sisters disappearance seems to have been spread through out the country. Although it was major news in the Washington DC metropolitan area for weeks.

    The Daily Review
    Hayward, California
    Tuesday, April 8, 1975


    Fairfax VA, (UPI) The sighting of a car monday carrying two girls, reportedly bound and gagged, has raised hopes that two young Maryland sisters who disappeared two weeks ago may still be alive, law enforcement officials said today.

    Maryland and Virginia authorities began the search for the elusive beige station wagon, a 1968 Ford with 1975 Maryland plates, early Monday, after a Manassas Virginia citizen reported seeing two blonde haired girls, both tied in the rear of the car. It was subsequently spotted by citizens in several Northern Virginia towns, but disappeared early Monday evening south of Falls Church.
    The girls reportedly resembled Sheila Lyon, 13, and her 11-year-old sister, Katherine, of Kensington MD, who were last seen on March 25 in a shopping center at Wheaton MD. A massive ground, air, and water search had failed to turn up any clues to the whereabouts of the two girls.

    Authorities said they were told by the Manassas citizen that the driver of the car, a white-haired man in his fifties, resembled a composite sketch last week of a man believed to have talked to the girls shortly before they disappeared. The witness said when he tried to get a closer look, the car sped off through a red light.
    bolded by me for reference

    This is the first i have heard about other sightings on 4/1/75. i discounted the one sighting because it just seemed off, but with several subsequent sightings maybe the beige car deserves another look.
    Children don't stop dancing

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2004

    Washington Post story about trial of Hadden Clark...

    This story appeared in the Washington Post Newspaper 27 1999. It tells of pre trial hearings in the murder trial of Hadden Clark, who was accused of killing little Michelle Dorr. Throughout the trial, John Lyon appeared beside Carl Dorr.

    While this article is dated, it does refer to the disappearancer of the Lyon girls, Sheila and Katherine.

    Hadden Clark was subsequently convicted of murdering Michelle and prior to sentencing, he led police to her grave, which was in a wooded area between the Naval Surface Weapons Center and White Oak Shopping Center in Montgomery County.

    Trial Starts in Disappearance of Montgomery Girl

    By Katherine Shaver
    Washington Post Staff Writer

    Monday, September 27, 1999; Page B1 When Hadden Clark goes on trial today in Montgomery County in the 1986 disappearance and presumed murder of 6-year-old Michele Dorr, two fathers will be watching and listening with particular interest.

    Still stunned after 13 years, Carl Dorr says he cannot truly believe his little girl is dead until he hears the details, no matter how grisly, for himself.
    Sitting beside him, as he has through almost every court hearing over the past year, will be John Lyon, another Montgomery father who knows the pain parents feel when their children vanish.

    On a spring afternoon in 1975, Lyon's daughters, 10-year-old Katherine and 12-year-old Sheila, left their Kensington home for a half-mile walk to Wheaton Plaza and were never seen again. No one has been arrested in the case.

    Lyon, a former disc jockey for WMAL radio, is now a county victims' assistant assigned to help Carl Dorr endure what is expected to be a three-week trial. As he has for the families of many crime victims, Lyon says, he tries to give Dorr emotional support and an experienced eye into an often bewildering criminal justice system. This trial, Lyon says, will be his "therapy," too.

    "I think we've found some kind of kinship in this morbid similarity of our lives," Lyon says of his friendship with Dorr.

    "We don't dwell on it," Lyon says. But later, he adds, "Sometimes I think this could be my trial."

    The two fathers have talked about the pain, mixed with horror and disbelief, that overwhelmed and forever changed their lives. They have talked about the feeling they get--like a jabbing dart--whenever they hear their daughters' names.

    They have compared notes about being consumed with profound grief and then finding themselves the initial, immediate suspects. They have shared the dismay over the well-intentioned but ignorant advice of strangers who tell them, "Someday you'll get over this."

    And, mostly, they say, they rack their brains with the same question: How can little girls just disappear?
    "I know how hard it is to make sense of what happened," Dorr says. "I had a hard enough time with one. I can't imagine how he dealt with two missing."

    On May 31, 1986, a hot, lazy Saturday afternoon, Carl Dorr had a visitor. It was his weekend with Michele, a shy little girl with brown hair and freckles. He and his wife, Dorothy, had undergone a messy divorce, and they were still arguing over custody and child support for the kindergartner.

    After a morning of television cartoons and a quick trip to a 7-Eleven, Dorr recalls, he and Michele ate lunch together, and he filled up the green plastic wading pool in the fenced-in back yard on Sudbury Road in Silver Spring. He promised Michele that at 4 p.m., they'd go to opening day at the big pool near her mother's home in Montgomery Village.

    He last saw his daughter, he says, about 12:30 p.m., padding barefoot out the kitchen door. She wore a hot-pink one-piece bathing suit with a ruffle and white polka dots. A colorful towel trailed behind her.

    She didn't return from the play pool, Dorr says, but he heard his neighbor's sons one house over kicking around a soccer ball. He says he assumed Michele, who was friends with the boys' sister, had gone over to play, too.

    Shortly after Michele failed to return home for the promised 4 p.m. trip to the pool, Dorr says, he went looking.Montgomery prosecutors James Trusty and Debbie Dwyer have argued that Michele did wander over to her playmates' house two doors down but came across Hadden Clark, her friend's uncle.

    Clark, then 33 and a cook at Chevy Chase Country Club, had been living with his brother but was moving out that afternoon at his brother's insistence, prosecutors said.

    Clark, prosecutors said, was angry over being ordered to leave and, in a twisted act of revenge against his brother, killed the little neighbor girl in his niece's bedroom, then scrubbed the floor clean of her blood and made off with her body.

    Montgomery Circuit Court Judge Michael D. Mason said he would rule this morning on whether the jury may hear what prosecutors have called a crucial detail: In 1992, while still a suspect in Michele's disappearance, Clark was charged with the murder of Laura Houghteling, 23, a recent Harvard graduate who disappeared from her mother's Bethesda home.

    On the opening day of his trial in the Houghteling case, Clark accepted a last-minute plea agreement and pleaded guilty to second-degree murder before leading police to a shallow grave along Old Georgetown Road. He is serving a 30-year sentence for Houghteling's murder. But Clark has pleaded not guilty in Michele's death. His attorneys, assistant public defenders Brian Shefferman and Donald Salzman, have argued that hearing about the Houghteling case would unduly prejudice the jury.

    They say Clark's time card at the country club will show that he punched in for work about 2:30 p.m. on the afternoon Michele disappeared. The results of new DNA tests allegedly linking Michele's blood to blood found on the handle of a knife Clark owned are debatable, they say. The rest of the prosecution's evidence is circumstantial, they have said, and too flimsy to prove that Clark played any role in Michele's disappearance, let alone her slaying.

    Prosecutors readily concede their case against Clark is far from airtight. Their witnesses will be relying on 13-year-old memories. One prosecution witness has died, and police detectives will be called out of retirement to testify.Because Michele's body has not been recovered, their first hurdle could be convincing a jury that there even was a murder. Jurors will have to take their word about the knife with the bloody handle. It was mistakenly thrown away with other evidence from the Houghteling case.

    Prosecutors also have conceded that much of their case rests on the credibility of Clark's fellow prison inmates. They are scheduled to testify that Clark boasted to them that, in addition to killing Houghteling, he cut a little girl in his brother's home and carried her body out in a duffel bag.
    Another potential boon for the defense: One man--and it's not Hadden Clark--did admit to Michele's slaying.

    Ten days after Michele disappeared, Carl Dorr checked into a psychiatric hospital ranting and raving about killing his daughter.When a child disappears, police say, the parents are naturally the immediate suspects. Dorr says police leaned on him, grilled him in his grief, until he snapped.

    "They said, 'If we find the body, you're the guy we're going to put this on,' " Dorr says. "It was too much to deal with."

    Every time John Lyon walks past the metal detectors at the doors of the Rockville courthouse, he must flash an identification badge to the security guards. Opposite the badge, in the small leather case, are two small photos of Katherine and Sheila.

    One of his sons, Jay, who was 15 when his sisters disappeared, is now a 39-year-old homicide detective with Montgomery police, but John Lyon says the family doesn't hear much news on the case.

    A few times a year, the Montgomery County Police Department hears from the FBI that a national database of missing people has gotten a hit on the Lyon sisters, says police lieutenant Mike Garvey, one of the original investigators on the case.

    Somewhere in the country, bones have been unearthed. Or someone has been arrested for a child abduction elsewhere, and those detectives think the suspect might have passed through Maryland. Nothing has panned out. Besides Michele, Garvey says, Sheila and Katherine remain the only active case of missing children in the county.

    In spring 1998, on the 23rd anniversary of the girls' disappearance, Lyon, his wife, Mary, their two grown sons and five grandchildren planted a weeping cherry tree and small flower garden in a local cemetery. Nearby, they placed a stone marker etched with Sheila's and Katherine's names, their birthdays and the day they vanished. They visit once a week.

    "It's unbelievable that people can disappear off the face of the Earth without a trace when they find dinosaur bones and identify them," Lyon says. "But maybe it's God's plan or something. If it's something you could understand, then it would be easier to tell you how we get through it."

    Michele Dorr's mother, Dee Dee Appleby, has left Montgomery County. She is planning to go to Clark's trial but did not feel emotionally ready to attend the pretrial hearings, her attorney says.Michele's father, now a real estate appraiser, has moved from the home where Michele disappeared. He says he has not brought himself to buy a gravestone.

    He bristles when people ask whether this trial will bring him "closure," something he says doesn't happen when your child, or at least her body, is still out there somewhere.

    As Lyon told him shortly after they met, "It doesn't get any better."
    But at least, Lyon says, Carl Dorr might finally get some answers.

    "I think he needs attitude to go through this [trial], to hear what he's going to hear," Lyon says. "You have to prepare yourself like a fighter ready for the big one. He's been waiting a long time for this."

    Washingtonpost.com: Trial Starts in Disappearance of Montgomery Girl


  10. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2004

    Lyon sisters disappearance remains a mystery (Feb. 1, 2010)

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2004

    Lyon Case mentioned on NBC local news...

    The Lyon case was mentioned briefly on Channel 4 news 4 February 2010. The story was about a retired Montgomery County Police Detective, Bob Phillips, who has been working on a number of cold cases.

    This year marks the 35th anniversary of the disappearance of Sheila and Katherine Lyon.

    Joe Krebs, one of the writers of this story, is a regular morning News 4 anchorman, but he also has covered a lot of Metropolitan Washington DC Cold Cases in the past, featuring them on a weekly news spot.


    Retired Detective Breathes Life Into Cold Cases

    Bob Phillips works to solve murder mysteries
    Updated 9:00 PM EST, Thu, Feb 4, 2010

    Some of the worst crimes are the ones that are never solved at all.

    Cold cases and murder mysteries are especially haunting to the detectives who spend countless hours trying to figure them out.

    Not to mention the families who have survived without their loved ones and moved on without justice.

    Sgt. Bob Phillips, a retired detective with the Montgomery County Police Department has committed much of his time to try and bring closure to some of these decades-old cases.

    "I actually started before I retired in 2000. I took it upon myself to start reading them. "

    After he retired, he volunteered a couple of days a week to go through old case files. Eventually, the County got a grant to pay him for two days a week.

    Many of the cases involve murdered women.32-year old Dr. Le Bich Thuy was murdered on September 28th, 1994.

    Phillips was still a detective with the department and remembers what he saw when they finally found her body at her home in Rockville on October 3rd of that year.

    "I remember responding her that evening with Detective Drury and Detective Bond…she was not covered up but she just naturally sunk into this English Ivy and was hard to see," said Phillips.

    The retired detective looks for patterns and evidence and when he finds something, he passes it on to the two active duty Cold Case detectives.

    "I’ve continued to read all the open homicides that I can find. And I have branched out into rape cases, and we have hundreds of open rape cases," said Phillips.

    Phillips is also working on several open homicides of elderly women, one in the Bethesda area and one in the Silver Spring, 24 years ago.

    There are also the Lyon sisters from 1975. One was ten and the other was just 12-years old when they went missing while walking home from Wheaton Plaza.

    Despite the years that have gone by, Phillips says he isn't quitting."I still enjoy it. I still have the desire, the energy…I have no thoughts at this point about not doing it."

    NBC News TV channel 4 Washington DC
    Retired Detective Breathes Life Into Cold Cases | NBC Washington



  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Here is the link to a forensic astrology site that includes Sheila and Katherine's disappearance. Even if you don't believe in this sort of thing it is still interesting.


  13. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2004

    What the stars tell you...

    Quote Originally Posted by mere View Post
    Here is the link to a forensic astrology site that includes Sheila and Katherine's disappearance. Even if you don't believe in this sort of thing it is still interesting.

    An interesting approach to a frustrating case.

    I am not an astrologist myself, but at the very time the girls disappeared, I was in fact using the stars to navigate a Navy Aircraft in the Pacific Ocean.

    As a long range celestial navigator, I consulted a star almanac and star sighting tables to compute my position every hour. I used a periscopic sextant to sight the sun, moon, stars and even planets. Using lines of position, I could plot a fix on my chart (map) and then knowing where I was, could alter course accordingly.

    Does celestial navigation actually work? Yes, quite well. I always made it back to base. The strange thing about it all is that the origional premise that it is based on is that the Earth is the center of the universe and all the stars, planets and celestial bodies revolve around it in predictable ways.

    Does astrology work? That is one question I cannot really answer to my own satisfaction. While it might work in some instances does it always work? Do two astrologers working separately come up with the same answers or predictions?

    Back in 1975, a very famous psychic named Peter Hurkos became interested in the Lyon Sisters case. He made a tape and sent it to the Montgomery County Police. While his comments on that tape were never reveiled to the public, it can be deduced what his basic message was because the National Guard search referred to in the above website and mentioned here in the Lyon Sisters featured case was in direct response to the Hurkos tape. An area to the northwest of Wheaton Plaza several miles away was thoroughly searched. The guardsmen and other searchers were specifically instructed to watch for possible grave sites and disturbed ground.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Interesting post in the comment section:

    To Bob Phillips: For the Lyon sisters: Please note James Mitchell DeBardeleben, aka "the mall passer" - a career criminal who has been tried and convicted for heinous crimes and serving some 150 years in federal prison for rape, kidnapping, extortion, counterfeiting and suspecting of being a serial killer.
    Please note 3 Maryland State Police Uniforms stolen from a dry cleaners in Baltimore during February of 1975.
    Please note the "missing trio" case in Fort Worth Texas - Dec 23, 1974. 3 girls went missing from a crowded mall - similar to Wheaton Plaza in many respects.
    Please note that said stolen uniforms showed up in Sept of 1975 with a criminal (not DeBardeleben) with the name tag Rook ( a crow, a swindler or cheat).
    Please note the rape in front of the Manassass IBM building that DeBardeleben was tried and convicted for - as the Lyon girls were reported to have been last seen in Manassass having been spied in a car by "an IBM executive".

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Tape Recorder Man possible suspect in Lyon Sisters disappearance

    I really do think the Montgomery County Police should take a second look at another suspect in the Lyon sister's disappearance. In 1975, a person named Bob Casey was known to several people as one who carried a tape recorder the Dc area around and interviewed people. He said he was writing a book on people's thoughts. My parents knew him pretty well. Bob Casey had been married to one of my mother's good friends named Betty. I believe they were officially divorced by 1975. He was a raging alcoholic who beat his wife and his kids. He had had a job with he Federal Government but my parents had told me he had been dismissed due to his excessive drinking.
    According to his wife. Bob would "black out" after drinking so much he would do things he could barely recollect doing the next day. Often it reslutled in violence towards her or his kids. According to his wife Betty, one of the things he also used to do on this drinking binges was to go down into Dc from their house in Potomac and look to try to solicit young teenage and college girls for sex.

    We lived in the area called White Oak until 1976. It is near New Hampshire Avenue and Columbia Pike. We lived only a block or so from the White Oak library on New Hampshire Avenue.
    But it was in August of 1974, Bob Casey dropped our house in Silver Spring to see my parents. He ended staying on our couch for a few days. I remember my parents trying to talk to him and trying to help him get back on the right track. During that time in 1974, is when I saw him playing a tape recorder of people interviewed for my parents. I remember my parents being polite and listening to him play the tapes. But I also remember both my mom and dad were a bit miffed when he recorded all of them in a conservation (without telling them) and then playing it back for them and laughing. After a few days he left and I did not see him again until March 1975.

    He rang the doorbell one night in mid March of 1975. It was right before me, my siblings and our four year old cousin who was visiting, were getting ready for bed. I remember he was carrying a six pack of beer. My dad started talking to him and asking how things were going. But my mom came down the steps abruptly and told him to get out of our house or she was calling the police. I remember her yelling something about what he put her friend Betty and their children through. And that she had been told by his then ex- wife Betty that Bob was wanted for forgery and passing bad checks. I remember Bob Casey saying to my dad he had to leave.
    He then abruptly walked out the door. I just remember being real scared hearing my mom yelling about calling the police.
    But to this day, I do not remember hearing or seeing a car drive away. For some strange reason, I have always thought he was standing in our front or back yard for a good amount of time after he walked out. Perhaps he was wanting to listen in on what my parents were saying after he left. I am speculating on all of this because I never did actually see him drive away. Perhaps he may have parked on another street since our street was a short street that connected too two other streets. I do not know.

    My family never saw him in person again. But it was not until years later my parents told me that several times over the winter of 1975, he had been calling our house late at night babbling incoherent things. Furthermore they told me that Bob had wanted them to testify against Betty in their divorce case.
    They thought he may have been riding by our house on several occasions. They also told me Bob had another friend who lived about a mile further down New Hampshire Avenue past White Oak Junior High that he used to drop by and see.
    So due to this, they believe he was frequenting the White Oak area more than usual during that month of March 1975.

    The Lyon girls disappeared on March 25th 1975. A dew days later a sketch of the person the girls were seen speaking with was released and was in the newspaper. My parents looked at it and immediately said it looked like Bob Casey. Bob was close to 50 years old at that time. At that time his hair was mostly turning gray. They also got phone calls his ex- wife Betty and other friends saying the same thing about Bob owning a tape recorder and the sketch drawing resembling him. My dad contacted the police as did some of the other people who knew him. According to what I heard back then was they checked him out and questioned him. But they let him walk because they could find no evidence linking him the girls. It should be noted that around this time Betty Casey had also told my parents that Bob was arrested by the Maryland police for trying to change license plates from one car to another.
    Over the years that followed, Betty never gave up talking to the police. She moved to North Carolina. But from time to time she would call my parents and fill them in on things. She was almost 100% positive he had something to do with these girls' disappearance. She knew that Bob had friends who knew John Lyon the girls father. It is true that John Lyon was already well known as a radio personality around the area. But she said Bob had gone to social functions with friends where John Lyon had been present.

    Regarding the girls' disappearance Betty Casey told police she thought Bob may have taken those girls up to a cabin in the Harpers Ferry, West Virginia area. Bob had a friend who was a Professor at George Washington University who had a cabin up there. It was there she believed that Bob had buried the girls or had thrown them in a well. She also mentioned that Bob's family had a cabin and some land in Connecticut and there was chance he may have taken them there as well.

    Betty passed away in 2003. But I know she always used to tell my parents that the police had never taken her story seriously. She was still trying to convince police and the FBI well into the 1990's to take a second look at him. She used to think they thought she was just an ex wife mad at and trying to get even with her husband.
    Around 1979, Betty contacted my parents and told him Bob had resurfaced. According to Bob's sister whom Betty had remained in contact with. Bob had reappeared and had altered his appearance by dying his hair jet black. She often wondered if he had been in jail on some other offense.

    My parents told me Bob had contacted Betty by phone in 1985. They had been divorced for over 10 years. He told her he had quit drinking and changed his life around. He said he wanted to reconnect with his 3 children. He was then living in Winchester, Virginia and had remarried.
    I would hear his name mentioned by parents over the years and though cleared by the police they believed and still do believe Bob Casey may have been somehow involved in the Lyon sisters disappearance.His name came up when I was visiting them over Christmas.
    Recently, I looked up his name in saw a Robert Casey listed there. If he is still alive, which I do believe he may well be. He is around 84 years old.
    I really think and strongly encourage the Montgomery County Police and the FBI try to contact and interview Bob Casey again. If he is involved in those girls' disappearance. Perhaps after all of this time. He will now re-examine his conscience, have some compassion, come clean and tell them happened.

    It is pure speculation. But considering Bob Casey was in the White Oak area several times in 1975. I think the police should search the small wooded area that is behind White Oak Library on New Hampshire Avenue and runs maybe a half mile next to Columbia Pike. I see the person named Jeb here on websleuths even mentioned he even saw the "tape recorder man" in the Sears in White Oak around this time period.
    Anyone reading please feel free to send this to the proper authorities. Maybe the more they see it. The more they may consider taking a second look at this guy. I am going to call the Montgomery County Police and also suggest to them to take another look at this.
    In 1975, I was 11 years old when this happened. Though it has been 35 years I have never forgotten about it. It forever changed and dimmed my view of the world we live in. Now I just would like to see closure for Sheila and Kathryn Lyons' family
    And for Bob Casey. If you are possibly reading this and are in fact involved in this. Then why don't you do the right thing and even bring yourself closure by turning yourself in.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

    By nursebeeme in forum Lisa Irwin
    Replies: 219
    Last Post: 01-11-2017, 03:32 AM
  2. MEDIA / LINKS ONLY - No discussion
    By christine2448 in forum Haleigh Cummings
    Replies: 1593
    Last Post: 03-05-2016, 10:17 AM
  3. Lyons Sisters Q & A
    By shipmatekate in forum Sheila and Katherine Lyon
    Replies: 149
    Last Post: 08-23-2015, 02:31 PM
  4. Document Links **LIST ONLY NO DISCUSSION**
    By JBean in forum West Memphis III
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-19-2013, 12:56 PM
  5. DOCUMENT links ****NO DISCUSSION***
    By Leila in forum Haleigh Cummings Reference and Timeline Forum
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 05-13-2010, 01:45 PM

Tags for this Thread