Miami port alert

Pepper

Former Member
Reaction score
Been watching the news today, and am surprised no one has started a thread on the problem at the Port of Miami. Can't find a link yet, but a truck carrying cargo to the port has created a stir. The driver, a "middle-eastern" man was stopped. Hidden in the sleeper cab were 2 other men. They didn't have a manifest of the cargo they were carrying. The place is now swarming with cops. Fuel trucks to fuel the cruise ships that were scheduled to depart today have been turned away. No word yet on the cargo contents. Cruise ships may be delayed since they can't re-fuel.

What a mess!

Pepper said:
Been watching the news today, and am surprised no one has started a thread on the problem at the Port of Miami. Can't find a link yet, but a truck carrying cargo to the port has created a stir. The driver, a "middle-eastern" man was stopped. Hidden in the sleeper cab were 2 other men. They didn't have a manifest of the cargo they were carrying. The place is now swarming with cops. Fuel trucks to fuel the cruise ships that were scheduled to depart today have been turned away. No word yet on the cargo contents. Cruise ships may be delayed since they can't re-fuel.

What a mess!
wow...I have been watching football. thanks and hi Pepper:blowkiss:

Maybe heroin or the like? Let's hope it's "only" that... *chews nails*

ETA: I just found a news link about this.

Bomb squad is on the scene. News conference at 4:45 pm EST (as of now - it's been moved once already). All fuel trucks being turned away. No news yet on the fate of the cruise ships.

The suspect cargo truck is in a warehouse being examined.

Miami-Dade HasMat truck is arriving on scene.

We are very concerned about our AIRport, but we don't pay that much attention to our extremely busy SEAports. The Port of Miami is a very busy port. All those containers stacked there. Items coming and going all the time. It must be a huge undertaking at any port of entry to try to keep track of all the paperwork. I know when I worked for a major car dealer there that exported many BMW's to South America, we had tons of paperwork to complete to get those vehicles through the gates to the ships. Then had to keep our copies for inspection for ages.

That is very scary. Keep us posted. This is a very important story.

''Port operations have not been impacted,'' said Miami-Dade police spokesman Robert Williams. ``The cargo area and the cruise ship area were not impacted.''

MiamiHerald link

"Nothing to see here, move along"

The 3 worked for a company in Dearborn Mi. and were carrying auto parts. Still being detained for questioning....lots of unanswered questions. Sounds like a dry run to me but I am suspicious given the circumstances.

Here is the most recent news article. The manifest and cargo matched, apparently the whole alarm was due to "miscommunication". :doh:

One great big false alarm! But I'm grateful that all the branches of LE were on top of it. It was a good drill.

6 "false positives" in a row! Makes ya wonder how accurate the testing system can be:

The box held sprinkler parts, which contained a substance that "closely resembles" the military-grade explosive known as C4, said police spokesman Bobby Williams.

The package for the Royal Caribbean International ship was initially tested six times by explosives detection equipment and each time it came back positive for C4, said Coast Guard Petty Officer James Judge. Television footage showed just a puff of white smoke when the package was destroyed.

Williams said the explosives detection instruments sometimes give out a false positive.
http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/news/local/16413377.htm

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrigokurita
Back