GUILTY TX - Phanta 'Jack' Phoummarath, 18, dies of alcohol poisoning, Austin, 10 Dec 2005

dark_shadows

Former Member
Reaction score
Oh my God he went through hell. Those bastards made this teen suffer and taunted him while he was laying there dying!!

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

link

HOUSTON — As Phanta "Jack" Phoummarath lay dying of alcohol poisoning, members of the club he was trying to join defaced his body with anti-gay epithets and obscene drawings, according to a medical examiner's report.

"It was disgusting and despicable behavior," said Houston attorney Randy Sorrels, who represents Phoummarath's family.

dark_shadows said:
Oh my God he went through hell. Those bastards made this teen suffer and taunted him while he was laying there dying!!

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

link

HOUSTON — As Phanta "Jack" Phoummarath lay dying of alcohol poisoning, members of the club he was trying to join defaced his body with anti-gay epithets and obscene drawings, according to a medical examiner's report.

"It was disgusting and despicable behavior," said Houston attorney Randy Sorrels, who represents Phoummarath's family.
That is Cold, very sick behavior to draw on someone and taunt them is pure evil! Just when I hear something that sickens me so much that I think that is the worst, I hear another thing! What really is wrong with people, I mean this is a sick, sick thing! My heart goes out to the parents of this boy, I mean I cannot imagine my child dying but then to hear and see that he has writings and drawing on his dead body is beyond words for me.

Here's what I don't get - Why does hazing even occur? Does it make the aggressor feel superior? Are they humble after hazing? Are they proud they have humiliated one of their potential brothers?

It makes me sick to think of the pain and suffering the victim's family is feeling. And you know? It could have ALL been avoided. I say punish those responsible for this young man's death. Don't revoke their fraternity status. Punish them by putting them in jail. And just as ironic as it seems, they too will one day feel the same humilation they were once so proud of. I am not saying I want this to happen - as I do not believe two wrongs make a right - but I do believe it will happen IMO.

OMG! I'm sorry ok please I hope nobody takes offense to this but WHAT THE HELL KIND OF UPBRINGING DO KIDS HAVE NOW A DAYS? Do parents teach their children anything anymore? Seriously? Do they? My God that poor boy what kind of evil sick twisted society do we live in? I want to just take my 3 kids and lock us up in the house and never leave. :banghead:

Mygirlsadie said:
OMG! I'm sorry ok please I hope nobody takes offense to this but WHAT THE HELL KIND OF UPBRINGING DO KIDS HAVE NOW A DAYS? Do parents teach their children anything anymore? Seriously? Do they? My God that poor boy what kind of evil sick twisted society do we live in? I want to just take my 3 kids and lock us up in the house and never leave. :banghead:
I fear we have a generation of children who have no morals, no discipline, no boundries, no character and no spankings! I know some parents did (and do still) abuse corporal punishment but... my gawd, look at the results of our new parenting. jmo of course, but most children need a good spanking and punishment for wrong doing. Responsibilty for their actions! In fact, they make their bones by being the most extremely obnoxious, in your face bad *advertiser censored* they can be. This is done vocally, visually and sexually!

I've never hit any of my children and I don't feel that they will turn into tormentors of others because of it. There is a lot more involved here than just growing up without being hit.

Jeana (DP) said:
I've never hit any of my children and I don't feel that they will turn into tormentors of others because of it. There is a lot more involved here than just growing up without being hit.
My brother and I were never hit, my kid was never hit - I agree with you. However, when you have alcohol supressing the rational parts of your brain and pressure to fit in with your peers right on the heels of that - it can get ugly.

GlitchWizard said:
My brother and I were never hit, my kid was never hit - I agree with you. However, when you have alcohol supressing the rational parts of your brain and pressure to fit in with your peers right on the heels of that - it can get ugly.

It sure can and if these girls were drinking they needed to be removed from the squad and put into treatment. I don't think that corporal punishment is going to cure alcoholism. I'm not even sure if we know for a fact that drugs and/or alcohol was involved though, do we? The "pack mentality" definately played a part in how these girls behaved. It seems they were not mature enough to handle the position that they were in.

richandfamous said:
I fear we have a generation of children who have no morals, no discipline, no boundries, no character and no spankings!
Sorry to disappoint, but my son has high morals, strong character and boundaries, and self-discipline (as well as strong parental guidance and discipline)....amazingly, all without having to hit him.

His friends who've grown up being spanked/whipped/whooped/hit/whatever all either get sneakier to avoid getting caught, or only avoid trouble out of fear of being hit...NOT because they want to do the right thing. I much prefer having a teen who avoids trouble because he wants to make good choices, not because he's afraid of me hitting him.

Sorry...hot button for me.
Lisa

richandfamous said:
I fear we have a generation of children who have no morals, no discipline, no boundries, no character and no spankings! I know some parents did (and do still) abuse corporal punishment but... my gawd, look at the results of our new parenting. jmo of course, but most children need a good spanking and punishment for wrong doing. Responsibilty for their actions! In fact, they make their bones by being the most extremely obnoxious, in your face bad *advertiser censored* they can be. This is done vocally, visually and sexually!

A few bad children are NOT the whole generation anymore than Scott Peterson is all husbands. For every rotten kid there are probably 500 good ones. You just don't hear about them. My kids are very well mannered, have great morals, and are very successful......No spanking required.

Lisahas2cats said:
Sorry to disappoint, but my son has high morals, strong character and boundaries, and self-discipline (as well as strong parental guidance and discipline)....amazingly, all without having to hit him.

His friends who've grown up being spanked/whipped/whooped/hit/whatever all either get sneakier to avoid getting caught, or only avoid trouble out of fear of being hit...NOT because they want to do the right thing. I much prefer having a teen who avoids trouble because he wants to make good choices, not because he's afraid of me hitting him.

Sorry...hot button for me.
Lisa

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

EXCELLENT POST!!!!! If you ask me, all hitting a child does is teach him that if you don't know what else to do, hit someone. That's not a lesson I care to teach my children.

This is not going to be a popular view...

I am not so sure that what the fraternity brothers did was beyond a prank.
Certainly they did not know he was dying and the other seeking membership to this fraternity did not die, yet no doubt consumed the same vast quantity of liquer. The article does not indicate that they knew he was dying. He made it to his room and passed out. (which many of that age group partying do often)
I have seen guys at parties play these sort of pranks on each other.
No harm intended. Although I do think the gay comments were disgusting.
If this guy awoke with an awful hangover the next day it would have just been chalked up to a prank and not even reported.

Also something should be said here about personal responsibility.
Noone forced him to consume the alcohol. There is not mention that he was forced. He willingly went along and drank to such excess.
Had he done so and then drove and killed someone NO ONE would say it was anything but his own fault.

Amraann said:
This is not going to be a popular view...

I am not so sure that what the fraternity brothers did was beyond a prank.
Certainly they did not know he was dying and the other seeking membership to this fraternity did not die, yet no doubt consumed the same vast quantity of liquer. The article does not indicate that they knew he was dying. He made it to his room and passed out. (which many of that age group partying do often)
I have seen guys at parties play these sort of pranks on each other.
No harm intended. Although I do think the gay comments were disgusting.
If this guy awoke with an awful hangover the next day it would have just been chalked up to a prank and not even reported.

Also something should be said here about personal responsibility.
Noone forced him to consume the alcohol. There is not mention that he was forced. He willingly went along and drank to such excess.
Had he done so and then drove and killed someone NO ONE would say it was anything but his own fault.
I was just getting ready to post, but once again you've done my work for me. I agree with everything you wrote.

I am so sorry that this young man died of alcohol poisoning. Hazing is not a good thing, but lots of people enter into it willingly.

I do not think the kids that wrote on his body were monsters. I'm sure they didn't know he was dying. We used to do funny things to people when they were passed out in college. It's fairly common - immature, drunken and obnoxious, yes, but not aberrant.

kittykat1 said:
Here's what I don't get - Why does hazing even occur? Does it make the aggressor feel superior? Are they humble after hazing? Are they proud they have humiliated one of their potential brothers?

From my own experience with fraternities and sororities, I'm of the opinion that the perpetrators of hazing are bullies with low self-esteem who get their kicks by harassing others. It's the same mentality as high school bullying.

Whenever I interview someone for a position with the company I work for, I'm always put-off if they mention belonging to a fraternity or sorority. I know it borders on discrimination (don't flame me, please!) but I'm less inclined to hire them.

Mabel said:
A few bad children are NOT the whole generation anymore than Scott Peterson is all husbands. For every rotten kid there are probably 500 good ones. You just don't hear about them. My kids are very well mannered, have great morals, and are very successful......No spanking required.
Mabel, I totally agree with this post. I think there are many more fantastic young people who make excellent choices than rotten kids, but fantastic kids don't make the news! My brother and I have both grown up to be well rounded, sensible adults without the aid of spanking.

I hesitate to consider these young people criminals. I'm sure everyone involved had had a fair bit to drink that night, and while the kids who wrote on his body didn't behave nicely, it can be pretty hard to tell the difference between someone having had to much to drink and passing out, and someone who is seriously ill with alcohol poisoning. I'm not sure what it is like in the States, but here it is fairly common for people to be written on, have their eyebrows shaved off etc when they pass out at college parties. The kids concerned probably had no idea that he was dying, and feel dreadful about their actions now.

I am terribly sad for the young man who died, his family, and for everyone involved.

southcitymom said:
I was just getting ready to post, but once again you've done my work for me. I agree with everything you wrote.

I am so sorry that this young man died of alcohol poisoning. Hazing is not a good thing, but lots of people enter into it willingly.

I do not think the kids that wrote on his body were monsters. I'm sure they didn't know he was dying. We used to do funny things to people when they were passed out in college. It's fairly common - immature, drunken and obnoxious, yes, but not aberrant.
I guess When I think of hazing I think of something violent like paddling and other stories we hear of hazing brutality.

I just don't see that with this case.

Mygirlsadie said:
(Playing devil's advocate for a minute here...)
To be fair, have you ever just dashed water on a friend's face who had passed out, or did you seek medical help? These people might not have realized the guy was dying. The symptoms of alcohol poisoning aren't well known, not many realize how serious it is when someone passes out while drinking. Did you? Be honest... For all we know they thought they were pranking someone who was "just fine" but going to have a hell of a hangover the next day. That doesn't mean they weren't petty bully boys though. It just means they were very, very stupid. Maybe it can be proven that they ought to have known better, we'll see.

(People are trying to get the word out as to the symptoms of alcohol poisoning, but it's an uphill battle.)

ETA: Now, those pointing fingers think back to how many close brushes with death you have had, all unknowing. Since, when you pass out from drinking you "could" die. (They are saying now you are most definitely in danger of it if you pass out.)

I think you nailed it KatK.

We had friends who were partying at their house.
They all awoke one morning to find one of their Party guests dead.
From Alcohol poisining.

At the time we were all in our early 20's and no one thought much of him throwing up or passing out.

Also as a young child we had neighbors and the husband died, I learned later from the same.

I recall being in my late teens and going to BBQ's with my mother at her friend's houses and I further recall that there would often be one or two that would "fall asleep" AKA pass out..
I watched many so called adults paint anothers fingers nails in bright pink polish or put make up on them or the old hand in a bowl of water trick.
Now these were supposed adults and some of them even LE in that county or worked for EMS.

I did exactly that to a friend of mine many years ago, Amraann. He passed out on my couch so I removed his shoes and socks, painted his toenails bright blue, and, after the polish dried, replaced the socks and shoes. Boy was he mad when he called me the next day. Turns out that bachelors don't keep nail polish remover on hand. Who knew?

Mabel said:
I did exactly that to a friend of mine many years ago, Amraann. He passed out on my couch so I removed his shoes and socks, painted his toenails bright blue, and, after the polish dried, replaced the socks and shoes. Boy was he mad when he called me the next day. Turns out that bachelors don't keep nail polish remover on hand. Who knew?

LMAO!!!! That is exactly what I was referring to.
And maybe you did him a favor?? Maybe he was more careful not to drink so much in the future?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back