Women dies after competing in water drinking contest

Hi Saavy,:)
Thank-you for posting the link.
In this article (click here for link) the effects of drinking too much water is described.

PLATTSBURGH, N.Y. -- Police say hazing led to the death of a Plattsburgh state freshman last month.

<TABLE class="RelatedBox RelatedBoxTable medium" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=140 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=sidebarHeader>Slideshow</TD></TR><TR><TD class=AssocContentTD vAlign=top>
2169911_120X90.jpg
11 Charged Members Of Psi Epsilon Chi

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

According to police, fraternity members allegedly pushed Walter Dean Jennings (pictured, below) to drink so much water that he died.

Eleven past and present members of the fraternity Jennings was joining face 150 charges -- ranging from hazing to negligent homicide -- in connection with his death.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

While working at a state facility for mentally handicapped adults we came across water intoxication alot. Many of them were obsessed with water. Because they had indulged on it so much the cells in there body stopped being able to accept straight water. Many of them had to have a gel substance called "thick it" stirred into their drinks. It would almost turn it into a pudding like substance in order for thier body to be able to digest it. If they went into a bathroom and unknowingly drank from the faucet there bodies would swell and you could soon tell what they had done. They would then be put on constant one to one monitoring. I believe this radio station will probably be in alot of trouble for this. Just like any eating contest, they should be checking for hazards having to do with whatever is consumed. They obviously didn't because this is a relatively easy fact to find when searching about water intake. Sad really they tell you water is good for you. Well it is in moderation. Once that poor women had all that water in her system, her system would effectively start shutting down. From the inside out. Her cells would have began to break down, she probably felt tired and sick. Then just died. How sad :(

I remember reading about a baby that had died from water intoxication once, that was the first I had ever heard of it. Such a sad end to a promising life.

I would never have thought that there was danger in drinking too much water, although I can see the danger in holding your urine. "Hold your wee for Wii"? Give me a break.

Drinking too much water depletes the natural sodium levels in your blood and throws your electrolytes off, which can cause a massive myocardial infarction (heart attack). She most likely had a heart attack and died. So sad.

That poor woman's family will soon own that radio station! I don't know why these endurance and gluttony contests are allowed to continue.

Pepper said:
That poor woman's family will soon own that radio station! I don't know why these endurance and gluttony contests are allowed to continue.
I don't know about that. She wasn't forced into doing this. I'm sure she had to sign waivers up the ying yang--I know waivers are always lawsuit-proof---but she was an adult. She had to drink gallons of water to do this---no doubt her body was giving her signals to stopped consuming it.

While I think it is irresponsible for the radio station to do this, the irresponsibility lies more on her shoulders I think.

julianne said:
I don't know about that. She wasn't forced into doing this. I'm sure she had to sign waivers up the ying yang--I know waivers are always lawsuit-proof---but she was an adult. She had to drink gallons of water to do this---no doubt her body was giving her signals to stopped consuming it.

While I think it is irresponsible for the radio station to do this, the irresponsibility lies more on her shoulders I think.
Agreed!

Over consumption of water can be dangerous... during my battle with severe anemia 8 years ago, I started craving ice... the dr called this craving "pica". I consumed so much ice and water that I was rapidly depleting my body of the nutrition it needed to fight the anemia issue. It made me very very sick... :(

SACRAMENTO — A 28-year-old woman found dead hours after taking part in a radio station's water drinking contest died of water intoxication, the coroner's office said Saturday.

Assistant Sacramento County Coroner Ed Smith said a preliminary investigation found evidence "consistent with a water intoxication death."

Jennifer Strange's mother found her daughter's body at her home Friday in the Sacramento suburb of Rancho Cordova after Strange called her supervisor at her job to say she was heading home in terrible pain.

"She said to one of our supervisors that she was on her way home and her head was hurting her real bad," said Laura Rios, one of Strange's co-workers at Radiological Associates of Sacramento. "She was crying and that was the last that anyone had heard from her."

Earlier Friday, Strange took part in a contest at radio station KDND 107.9 in which participants competed to see how much water they could drink without going to the bathroom.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,243617,00.html

Elphaba said:
Over consumption of water can be dangerous... during my battle with severe anemia 8 years ago, I started craving ice... the dr called this craving "pica". I consumed so much ice and water that I was rapidly depleting my body of the nutrition it needed to fight the anemia issue. It made me very very sick... :(
Hello Elphaba. I am interested in exactly how the excess water intake affected you. You said it made you very, very sick. Can you describe the symptoms that you experienced?

Lion

Elphaba said:

Welcome to WS, E. I'm glad you survived the anemia (and water) and I love the book and show, Wicked!

How horrible! I didn't know 'water intoxication' existed!

teonspaleprincess said:
I remember reading about a baby that had died from water intoxication once, that was the first I had ever heard of it. Such a sad end to a promising life.

You might be thinking of the case of the little 3 year old girl who was forced to drink water until she died. It was her punishment for "stealing" water. We had a thread about it - let me see if I can find it.

Edit: Nope, can't seem to find it.

here it is

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4188/is_20051006/ai_n15673682
PROVO -- For the second day in a row, a medical expert testified in 4th District Court that a 4-year-old child did not die because her parents forced her to drink too much water.

A witness for the defense, pathologist J. Wallace Graham, said Wednesday it would be nearly impossible for Richard and Jennete Killpack to force their adopted daughter to drink water without causing bruising around her mouth.

"There was no sign of trauma around her mouth," he said.

The Killpacks are on trial for child-abuse homicide, a second- degree felony. Prosecutors say on June 9, 2002 Jennete Killpack put Cassandra on a bar stool in their Springville home, tied her hands behind her back and forced her to drink about a gallon of water as a punishment for taking a sibling's drink.

The Killpacks say they came up with the water-discipline method after meeting with therapists and reading about Reactive Attachment Disorder, a mental illness in which adopted children have difficulty bonding with their adoptive parents.

georgiagirl said:
here it is

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4188/is_20051006/ai_n15673682
PROVO -- For the second day in a row, a medical expert testified in 4th District Court that a 4-year-old child did not die because her parents forced her to drink too much water.

A witness for the defense, pathologist J. Wallace Graham, said Wednesday it would be nearly impossible for Richard and Jennete Killpack to force their adopted daughter to drink water without causing bruising around her mouth.

"There was no sign of trauma around her mouth," he said.

The Killpacks are on trial for child-abuse homicide, a second- degree felony. Prosecutors say on June 9, 2002 Jennete Killpack put Cassandra on a bar stool in their Springville home, tied her hands behind her back and forced her to drink about a gallon of water as a punishment for taking a sibling's drink.

The Killpacks say they came up with the water-discipline method after meeting with therapists and reading about Reactive Attachment Disorder, a mental illness in which adopted children have difficulty bonding with their adoptive parents.
WOW. Incredibly sad. First of all, why would she need to be punished in the first place? Why did she have to take her siblings drink in order to drink something? Why didn't they have anything available to her to drink on her own?

I don't get how they are disputing these charges, because according to the article, the parents readily admit they tied the little girls hands behind her back and forced her to drink a gallon of water. GEEZ--a whole gallon of water for a little 4 year old body!!! I can't even imagine. So, why in the heck are they disputing this? They admitted it.

Horrible that these people adopted this girl---they are definately people who should never be allowed to raise children.

Tying up a 4 yr old child sounds cruel all by itself, but forcing her to drink something(an entire gallon) in order to treat Reactive Attachment Disorder sounds ridiculous to me!
Can you imagine how long that would take to drink a gallon of water while she was probably crying with a nose full of snot? I'm surprized she didn't sufficate or drown! I hope the jurors aren't that gullible!

Susan

It's too bad no one did their homework. The radio station imo should be held accountable. This type of stunt should have been researched by the station and the participates.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back