Ransom note..'listen carefully'

JMO8778

..at the beach!
Reaction score
I just noticed this today,in the New Testament w/ Psalms and Proverbs,(new living translation)...Proverbs:4:20. Pay attention,my child,to what I say.Listen carefully.

I wonder if PR had that version (IMO,she wrote the RN).It always seemed odd to me that it starts out "Listen carefully",like someone was dictating it to her.If you want someone to READ carefully,you'd likely write "read this carefully",instead.Could she have gotten that from the bible? I know there are some references to Psalms in the case,and Proverbs is the next chapter.
This version has the word 'listen' in it a lot,all throughout Proverbs.Proverbs 4:1 starts out, "My children,listen to me.Listen to your Father's instruction".And the word listen is mentioned several times throughout,and again in Proverbs 5:1,"My son,pay attention to my wisdom;listen carefully to my wise counsel".
The title of Proverbs 4 is 'A father's wise advice';,and the title of Proverbs 5 is 'Avoid immoral women'.

ITA. How does one listen to a note that they are reading to him/herself? Shouldn't it say "read carefully"? That sounds like someone dictating the note to someone else writing it IMO.

It does,but if PR wrote it by herself,then perhaps she was reading thru that part of the bible and got the phrase 'listen carefully' from that.It wouldn't be a stretch of the imagination, since she ref. to Psalms,and the bible in general,in her writings.As well as the bible that was found open during the crime scene investigation,with the letters SBTC being the beginning letters in a phrase from the bible.

JMO8778 said:
It does,but if PR wrote it by herself,then perhaps she was reading thru that part of the bible and got the phrase 'listen carefully' from that.It wouldn't be a stretch of the imagination, since she ref. to Psalms,and the bible in general,in her writings.As well as the bible that was found open during the crime scene investigation,with the letters SBTC being the beginning letters in a phrase from the bible.
Does anyone know what Translation of bible was found at the Ramseys? Or what one they normally used at their Church?

JMO8778 said:

I see your point, it was late when I posted that and I didn't even get into the Bible verses.

I get so dizzy from this case. At first I was thinking that John was dictating what to write in the RN but I can't see John calling himself fat cat and some other things I don't see him saying. It seems like the RN was all Patsy. (Be rested, bring an adequate attache'...that doesn't sound like a man to me).

The use of the word "listen" may mean something, but may not.

In one of those corporate training classes I was once forced to take, research was presented on how people tend to favor one sense over the others. This can be tested and will show whether a person gets most info from seeing (including reading), hearing or touching.

People who favor one sense will tend to express that in their word choices: "listen carefully" v. "watch out", for example. "I see what you mean" v. "I hear what you're saying", for another. These choices aren't absolute, but they often trump what might seem logical.

JMO8778 said:

It's like the word "victory" in the closing. I noticed this summer that Patsy's sister referred to Patsy's death as "victory" in an article. "she got her victory at 3:...this morning." That got me thinking that perhaps the "victory" in the RN might refer to JB's death.

"Thursday's service, they said, can be nothing short of a celebration.

"She's gone," Pam says. "She got her victory at 3 o'clock in the morning on Saturday."

In the last months of her life, Patsy left her home in Michigan and came to Georgia for more extensive cancer treatment. She was optimistic about her chances, Paulette said. After all, the sisters said, Patsy had made miracles happen before.

"She never lost hope"

article

cami said:
It's like the word "victory" in the closing. I noticed this summer that Patsy's sister referred to Patsy's death as "victory" in an article. "she got her victory at 3:...this morning." That got me thinking that perhaps the "victory" in the RN might refer to JB's death.

"Thursday's service, they said, can be nothing short of a celebration.

"She's gone," Pam says. "She got her victory at 3 o'clock in the morning on Saturday."

In the last months of her life, Patsy left her home in Michigan and came to Georgia for more extensive cancer treatment. She was optimistic about her chances, Paulette said. After all, the sisters said, Patsy had made miracles happen before.

"She never lost hope"

article
This is so telling to me when you consider the number of times the use of the word victory is used by either the Ransom note writer. At the very end. SBTC Victory....or Patsy and John..... I can't help but wonder if they or one of them saw JonBenet's death as Victory....as Pam said about Patsy....Gave me the chills and shivers. I cannot think of one time I referred to one of my loved ones going home as a Victory. And I come from a very Christian background family. My Dad was a pastor.... it gives me the chills. Its like don't they see when they open their mouths they indict themselves.....

coloradokares said:
This is so telling to me when you consider the number of times the use of the word victory is used by either the Ransom note writer. At the very end. SBTC Victory....or Patsy and John..... I can't help but wonder if they or one of them saw JonBenet's death as Victory....as Pam said about Patsy....Gave me the chills and shivers. I cannot think of one time I referred to one of my loved ones going home as a Victory. And I come from a very Christian background family. My Dad was a pastor.... it gives me the chills. Its like don't they see when they open their mouths they indict themselves.....
They give themselves away,for sure.
I would think they wouldn't consider anything to be a victory until the killer is caught,if they didn't know who it was.
It still makes me wonder if PR saw JB death as a sacrifice for her own.I recall an interview where she said she always thought it would be her,not JB.
Did she think that victory was in sacrificing her child?Psalms 118,'bind the sacrifice with cords'.I recall reading somewhere that she knew about those verses.

If you read further into Proverbs 4:20-22,it says: Pay attention,my child,to what I say.Listen carefully.Don't lose sight of my words.Let them penetrate deep within your heart,for they bring life and radiant health to anyone who discovers their meaning.

was she trying to relate to that?

JMO8778 said:
They give themselves away,for sure.
I would think they wouldn't consider anything to be a victory until the killer is caught,if they didn't know who it was.
It still makes me wonder if PR saw JB death as a sacrifice for her own.I recall an interview where she said she always thought it would be her,not JB.
Did she think that victory was in sacrificing her child?Psalms 118,'bind the sacrifice with cords'.I recall reading somewhere that she knew about those verses.
I have also read much on that. However my take if it was not the end result of a horrific breakdown in self control and subsequent staging is I wondered if Patsy thought she wasn't going to be around and how could she leave her little girl ....especially if she had thoughts that there could be the kind of problems that the dictionary was open to.... This is the thing right here... how can anyone account for the state of mind the left JonBenet dead and the subsequent staging done the way it was..... I have many times also thought of the verse wondering if that wasn't the 118 grand as well. Especially when you read vs 17- 18 of Psalms 118
17 I shall not die, but live, and declare the works of the Lord.18 The Lord hath chastened me sore; but he hath not given me over unto death.

Then you add this all to the word victory.....and how Pam called Patsy's passing a victory. I was really heartsick to read she was teaching her little niece how to paint which was something she'd done with JonBenet. When I thought of the paint brush and how Patsy did some 18 paintings in the last months of her life I literally got ill. I am not sure quite how she could have ever touched another paint brush again in her life.....guility or innocent either one you know?

coloradokares said:
I was really heartsick to read she was teaching her little niece how to paint which was something she'd done with JonBenet. When I thought of the paint brush and how Patsy did some 18 paintings in the last months of her life I literally got ill. I am not sure quite how she could have ever touched another paint brush again in her life.....guility or innocent either one you know?

WOW, I totally agree with you, my hobby is playing the piano....if my child had been murdered by being strangled with a piano string, for exampe, I would sell mine....and never play or want to see another one again.

I don't see the logic in thinking that a person would/should give up something they enjoy because some part of it was related to the death of a loved one.
I supposed with that thinking a person whose loved one died in a plane crash would never fly again, or if killed in an automobile would never get in a car again? Or perhaps the person was allergic to mushrooms. Does that mean you would never eat mushrooms again?

Judging Patsy on how you might react is not sensible - IMO.

snowqueen said:
I don't see the logic in thinking that a person would/should give up something they enjoy because some part of it was related to the death of a loved one.
I supposed with that thinking a person whose loved one died in a plane crash would never fly again, or if killed in an automobile would never get in a car again? Or perhaps the person was allergic to mushrooms. Does that mean you would never eat mushrooms again?

Judging Patsy on how you might react is not sensible - IMO.
I do see where you are coming from, and it makes sense. But, YES, I have known people...like my own dad, for example....who REFUSES to fly (never has, never will) because his own brother went down in a plane, during WWII, and the plane has NEVER been found! It was overseas somewhere, and they speculate it may have either gone down in quicksand, or the ocean (they searched the ocean though, and have never found it). Anyway, I can see the logic BOTH ways. So, I guess it just depends on the person....

But if your daughter had been abducted from her bed in the middle of the night, fed pineapple, then assaulted, bludgeoned, and strangled to death, would you decorate your new kitchen in Atlanta with pineapple wallpaper?

I do believe I feel a chill over that one. Pretty bad taste on Patsy's part.

Nuisanceposter said:
But if your daughter had been abducted from her bed in the middle of the night, fed pineapple, then assaulted, bludgeoned, and strangled to death to death, would you decorate your new kitchen in Atlanta with pineapple wallpaper?

I do believe I feel a chill over that one. Pretty bad taste on Patsy's part.
Bad taste? To paint? Something that she enjoyed prior to JonBenet's death.
I don't agree, but to each his own I suppose.

coloradokares said:
<snip>
I was really heartsick to read she was teaching her little niece how to paint which was something she'd done with JonBenet. When I thought of the paint brush and how Patsy did some 18 paintings in the last months of her life I literally got ill. I am not sure quite how she could have ever touched another paint brush again in her life.....guility or innocent either one you know?
This is what I was (also) responding to. What are you talking about?

Oh, my fault. I was referring to the pineapple wallpaper Patsy decorated her kitchen in Atlanta with, after JonBenet's murder. I wasn't talking about her teaching anyone to paint at all.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back