NY NY - Suzanne Lyall, 19, Collins Circle at SUNY, Albany, 2 March 1998

WasBlind

Former Member
Reaction score
Abducted near her campus on March 2, 1998, Suzanne Lyall is the one for whom "Suzanne's Law" was named, raising the age of a missing young person from 17 to 21, so that in the event a person goes missing near a college campus, or is college aged, the police will begin to search for them in earnest, thereby saving lives. Suzanne's Law was passed the same day as the National Amber Alert on April 30, 2003 by President George Bush, as part of the Children's Protection Act of 2003.

Suzy's site

http://www.global2000.net/suzy/

Information about Suzanne's Law can be viewed here

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=124475&category=CAPIT

Doug and Mary Lyall's The Center for HOPE (healing our painful emotions) can be viewed here

http://www.hope4themissing.org/

For Suzy, prayers for answers and soon

Much love, Lanie

Much love to all the Lyall's.
Prayers for Suzy, that you find her and soon.
With love and HOPE, Lanie

Kelly,
I will watch that tonight. Is this a show about several missing people that is new? I know that there is a new show called MISSING that comes on another channel but it's a fictional show so I dont watch it.

Missing Without a Trace puts a missing person flyer up at the end of each program. It is a fictional show and very unrealistic but they do put a real missing person poster up after the show is over.

Thanks for sharing the video Kelly. It is interesting(and sad) to see what she was like. She seemed like a likeable girl. This case has stayed with me ever since I heard about it in 1998. I have actually been to Crossgates mall, on a trip through Albany in 1987 which of course was way before her disappearance but it is still interesting to think I have been at the that mall. I was just wondering, was the boyfriend ever questioned? I'm not saying he had anything to do with her disappearance, but aren't the people closest to the victim usually looked into first? And he's the person who first noticed her missing.I wonder how her poor family is doing, it seems the website hasn't been updated since 2002. I hope she is alive out there somewhere but it doesn't seem very likely.

Praying for Suzanne and her family.

Hi joellegirl
The fiance was cleared. To the best of my knowledge, the person of interest in Suzy's case was and still is the "Nike man" who was seen on video using her bank card shortly after she disappeared. His picture can be seen on her billboard which is on the web site, http://www.global2000.net/suzy/
There is no proof he had anything to do with her disappearance, but of course authorities would like to know how he got the card. It was only used that one time.

There is also no indication that Suzy is deceased. Our fervent prayer is that she is alive, and they see her again someday. Preferably soon. Thanks for caring about Suzy and the Lyall's. They're all incredible people!!

With love and HOPE, Lanie

First published: Thursday, March 3, 2005

As Doug and Mary Lyall remember the seventh anniversary this week of the disappearance of their daughter, Suzy, their energies are focused on raising money for a monument to the missing.

The goal is $100,000. So far, $37,000 has been raised for the "Remorial," a word the Lyalls made up "for remembering as opposed to memorializing," Mary Lyall said.

"The connotation of memorial means someone has passed, but we know missing persons have come back; not a great percentage of them, but some."

Recently, Enterprise Rent-A-Car donated $10,000. Other groups and individuals have contributed. The Lyalls' Center for Hope in Ballston Spa administers the fund.

Once built, the monument will be state property and located at the Empire State Plaza. There will be a significant state contribution, as yet undisclosed, Mary Lyall said.

On March 2, 1998, Suzanne Lyall, a 19-year-old sophomore computer science major at UAlbany, is believed to have stepped off a CDTA bus at Collins Circle on the uptown campus at 9:45 p.m. after working at a computer store at Crossgates Mall. She has not been seen since.

"How difficult this is for us," the mother said. "Seven years is a long time. I'd thought we'd have all sorts of information by now. I know there's somebody out there who knows what happened to Suzy that night."

"Please come forward and tell someone so we can resolve our problems. It's a nightmare we haven't woken up from, and I don't think we are going to wake up until we know where she is."

The Lyalls want the project to become a national monument. In New York, more than 4,000 are missing; in the United States, more than 90,000. Loved ones "need a place to go and grieve," she said.

The couple worked with architect Bill O'Connor, Office of General Services deputy commissioner, who designed the state's World War II monument at the plaza.

A friend, Bob D'Alessandro of Scotia, made a miniature of the design -- a 16-foot structure with four floating glass panels supported by stainless steel columns. There will be an eternal flame and a message etched in the glass: "As a symbol of eternal HOPE may this flame light their way home."

"We wanted it to reflect light because we are still waiting for these people to come home, like a light in the window," she said.

In 2002, the Lyalls went to Ireland to participate in the dedication of a memorial to missing persons. "We came back with all sorts of excitement," Mary Lyall said. "If they can do that in Ireland, why can't we do something like this in America?"

Times Union

Special thanks to Carol DeMare.

I can't even imagine going 7 years and not knowing if my loved one was alive or dead.

Schumer, Sweeney push for National Missing Person Day

Wednesday, April 6, 2005
www.empirestatenews.net

US Senator Charles Schumer and Congressman John Sweeney yesterday each introduced a resolution designating April 6, 2005 as "National Missing Persons Day." The proposed date would be the 27th birthday of Suzanne Lyall, a University at Albany student who has been missing since March 2, 1998. Lyall, a computer science major, was last seen after working a shift at Babbage's Software in the Crossgates Mall.
Schumer and Sweeney said the goal of the resolution is to bring missing persons cases like Suzanne's back into the public eye and ensure that they are not forgotten. In 2001, Governor Pataki designated April 6 as Missing Persons Day in New York State. Schumer and Sweeney's resolution would make the date a national day of awareness.

"Suzanne Lyall reminds us all of the thousands of families in New York aching for a loved one who is missing," Schumer said. "Establishing a National Missing Person's Day is important because dedicating it to those who are missing raises awareness about their cases and reminds their families that their neighbors and communities support them."

"This day is about remembrance," said Sweeney. "I have met Suzanne's parents and seen their tireless efforts to find any information, any small detail about their daughter's disappearance. A National Missing Person's Day will let the Lyall family and all of the other families across the nation that are missing a loved one know that they have our support."

In the years since their daughter's disappearance, Suzanne's parents have become youth-safety advocates, founding a " Center of Hope" in the Capital region geared toward helping families with missing loved ones. Doug and Mary Lyall are working to make the Center of Hope a national organization that would provide information on missing persons and a meeting place for people who have missing family-members or friends.

There are 3,854 people considered missing in New York, including 2,015 over the . Throughout the country, there were over 47,890 missing persons over the reported missing to the police and entered into the FBI's National Crime Information Center (NCIC) in 2004.

In the 107th Congress, Schumer and Sweeney introduced Suzanne's Law, a bill to prohibit law enforcement from imposing a waiting period before accepting reports of missing persons between the ages of 18 and 21. The bill was signed into law in April 2003.

http://www.empirestatenews.net/News/20050406-4.htm

It mystifies me why LE continues to flout the law and refuses to take seriously missing persons reports involving children, especially teens. We all know that thousands of teens run away every year, but some of the ones accused of being runaways are actually abducted and could've been returned to their families safely if a report had been filed and action taken to look for them. Shameful!

Anniversary of Lyall's disappearance

3/2/2006
By: Capital News 9 Web Staff

It's been eight years since SUNY Albany Student Suzanne Lyall disappeared without a trace from the University campus.

She was last seen March 2, 1998 getting off a bus at the uptown campus.

Since her disappearance her family has helped organize New York State Missing Person's Day. The same day as Suzanne's birthday.

Her parents said every day is difficult, but they never lose hope.

Mary Lyall said, "Hopefully there's going to be that one lead, that one person who's feeling like, you know, we finally need closure. We really do. As you move on in your life, it's so difficult to not have the closure."

The Lyall's have also started the Center for Hope; a place where anyone with a missing person can go for support.

http://www.capitalnews9.com/content/your_news/saratoga/default.asp?ArID=170561

Police still interview people. Doug Lyall said Suzanne's boyfriend and his family no longer cooperate with investigators, though.

'I don't know why,' he said. 'All the questions are to find out if anyone remembers anything.'

snip...This is a busy time for the Lyalls. They mark Missing Person Day at 1 p.m. today in the auditorium at the State Museum in Albany. They will break ground for 'Remembrance,' a monument to the estimated 4,000 people listed as missing in New York state. When it opens in the fall, it'll be the first of its kind in the nation.

'We've been to one in Ireland,' Doug Lyall said.

Mary Lyall said she's invited hundreds of people with missing family members to today's ceremony, which coincides with Suzanne's birthday. It has become an annual event over the past several years. Politicians and a bagpiper will attend, too.
http://www.saratogian.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=16418209&BRD=1169&PAG=461&dept_id=17708&rfi=6

http://www.capitalnews9.com/content/your_news/capital_region/?SecID=3&ArID=182040

Missing Persons Tour
Updated: 6/12/2006 2:14 PM
By: Sean O'Grady

Volunteers from North Carolina's CUE Center for Missing Persons got straight to the point when they pulled up outside Albany's Empire State Plaza.

"The message is awareness on missing persons. Period," said CUE Center founder Monica Caison.

The mission of the CUE volunteers is to spread awareness on a grand scale, by traveling to 16 states in just nine days' time. At each stop, they are recognizing the missing and those affected by their disappearance, like Doug and Mary Lyall. The Lyall's daughter Suzanne disappeared eight years ago, during her sophomore year at UAlbany.

"It's human nature to deal with those things that are hot that has information coming in on, so as soon as there is nothing coming in, it really makes it that much more difficult," said Doug Lyall.

A group from North Carolina is on a 70-stop nationwide tour, and it's all in an effort to raise awareness about the thousands of missing people across the country.

The CUE volunteers will spend one more day in New York State before heading west to Ohio, and finally south towards Florida.

"We have rallies set up all through these sixteen states, just trying to bring media awareness to the public," Caison said.

This is the CUE Center's third annual Missing Persons Tour, but they say it certainly will not be their last.

Kelly Jolkowski, Mother of Missing Jason Jolkowski
President and Founder,
Project Jason
www.projectjason.org
Read our blog about missing persons:
http://voice4themissing.blogspot.com/

Bumping for Suzy - there seems to be so few clues in this case. I hope that she is found soon.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo
Back