IL IL - Amy Todd Fleming, 25, Lee County, 11 January 1996

bumping up as this is the first time I have heard of this case and she is only 50 miles from me. there is no attention for this women. She is going to end up as one of the people that are never heard of. Take a look and read the story. You never know who might remember someone from 11 years ago, or something that may seem similar. She was a good women, who worked hard in her community and neighborhood. Not one comment all day. I am kinda discapointed.

This is such a sad story, and what a beautiful woman she was. The article didn't give many facts and I'm wondering if the killer left any DNA? It never said she was raped or gave much of a motive. Her family needs to find some way of publicizing her story and getting it out there. I wonder if the Carole-Sun Carrigan Foundation could help. They are good at getting publicity and helping the family.

Please keep us posted.

I do not know the family or any other info except what was listed in our local paper today. If someone knows if the foundation would be willing to help the family I am sure they would appreciate it. You could probably get information on whom to call from my local police department 815-284-4411. Or use the number listed in the article. They would probably have the contact information for the family/ and or spokes person.

This is really sad, she was very pretty. So DH was at a cattle show that day, I wonder how their relationshop was. I also wonder if maybe this could have been someone from school that knew her schedule, student or something?

BAD_BUTTERFLY said:
I do not know the family or any other info except what was listed in our local paper today. If someone knows if the foundation would be willing to help the family I am sure they would appreciate it. You could probably get information on whom to call from my local police department 815-284-4411. Or use the number listed in the article. They would probably have the contact information for the family/ and or spokes person.
I have a young girl close to my house that went missing and I emailed Nancy Grace but got no answer, this poor family needs help getting her word out all over. Read her case if you dont mind. http://www.baltimorecountymd.gov/Agencies/police/homicide/unsolved_missing_persons/rust2002.html

michelle the link you posted doesn't seem to be working, or may possibly be down now.

I find the lack of info on this case interesting.. i think it is solvable

Welcome to WS Quad! What is your take on the case?

Wow...I check in on Amy Todd Fleming's case every so often to see if there has been anything new over the years. I was living in Shabbona when this murder occurred and my parents are acquainted with (not friends, just acquaintances) both her parents and her in-laws.

There is just so little written about this one. It often feels like it will just be forgotten before it is solved...and that is very, very sad.

For those of you who have interest in the story, I can tell you anecdotally what some of the issues were with the lack of any resolution on this one.

1. Lee County just is not a place where LE had much experience with murders at the time. I think that they were out of their league before they started back then.

2. There were so many folks in and out of the house the morning that she was found -- from colleagues from school who went out there to check on her -- to the EMT/VFD folks who all were through the house when they received the call.

A friend of ours is a police officer in DeKalb County and he told me that the evidence was so compromised because of all of the folks in and out that it would have been very hard for them to get much from the crime scene.

There were a few theories floated around town at the time...but I moved away, so I never heard if any of them had any bearing.

One was that there was an old BF who knew that her husband was going to be away at the stock show. (We're not talking just a few hours away...he was away overnight. In Iowa, I think, if I remember correctly...but maybe further away.)

She was also the girls' volleyball coach and there was some talk that one of the dads of one of the girls on her team was very interested in her. Not sure if I'd say obsessed, but enough that it was giving her the creeps when he was around.

I have since moved away, but Amy was well loved and both her family and her in-laws were well liked and well respected in the community. She was truly a hometown girl -- had worked in the local restaurant, went to college and came back and taught in her hometown school.

They believe that the person who did this was someone she knew based on the information they have. IIRC (and it has been a long time, so I may not) the phone lines were cut and they tried to make it 'look like' a robbery, but LE was not buying that part -- said that was supposed to throw them off -- but that they, too, believed because of the crime and because of the way that it was done that this was totally planned and someone had just waited for an opportune moment.

I remember that it was snowy that night and morning, but much like the Amy Henslee case in Michigan right now (that was what got me thinking of this one -- two Amy's who were young and sweet from small towns), so many people had been there to try to 'help out' that they totally compromised any possible evidence in the snow.

So sad...she was a lovely young woman.

so, it sounds to me like this will never be solved...what a shame

Bumping for Amy Todd Fleming....
my thoughts.... that somehow this is connected to the school she worked for or the sports team she coached.... there is really so little out there... I don't think it was random...

Just looking in on WS! Amy was my cousin. I told her mom about cold case on tnt a year ago, she was going to look into it. It will be 20 yrs in January. She was an amazing person! I and thousands more would love to see this solved!

I feel like she probably knew this person.... no forced entry... did she let him in that night? it was a frigid and dark night, if I remember correctly...And, the way she was murdered... strangulation... that is a very up close and person way to kill someone...I definitely don't think this was random....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back