Little Girl Killed Trying to Free Stuck Pit Bull

Jeana (DP)

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Here we go again ladies and gentlemen:

SAN ANTONIO (AP) - A 10-year-old girl has died after being attacked by her neighbor's dog while trying to help the animal after it had gotten its collar caught on a chain link fence.

Amber Jones was in her backyard Friday afternoon practicing cheerleadering moves when she noticed that in an attempt to jump over the fence, the pit bull was caught. As she had done several times before, she asked her mom if she could help the dog.

He mother said yes. When the girl went to the dog's rescue, the dog attacked her.

Hearing her daughter's screams, Lori Jones ran into the backyard. The dog had bitten Amber in the stomach and was now attached to her neck.

Amber's mother tried to push the dog off. A man rushed to help and got the dog away from both mother and daughter. The family does not know the man but said if he had not been there the dog could have attacked Lori Jones as well.

more at:

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=f9551f39-96c4-405a-aeb0-f9b4edc93cf4

Police spokesman Joe Rios said criminal charges against the owners appear unlikely. He said the report indicates it was "just an unfortunate accident."

Yeah....how unpredictable.......

How many more killings is it going to take before this breed is outlawed:confused:

I guess it is all Ok as the owners came over and apologized. NOT!

When will people learn that this is an unpredictable animal. I love dogs, I really do, but not at the expense of a child.

I love dogs too CP and I even get concerned when little ones play with my labrador......They are never left alone with him.
Some people have to relize that pittbulls do not make good pets.....even though many will argue otherwise.

The fully preventable and violent death of sweet little Amber rips at the very core of me. It was quoted in the article that it was, "just an unfortunate incident". Unfortunate incidences occurred long before the death of this heroic young girl.

Basically, dogs are designer bred wolves. The true definition for a species is that two of the opposite sex can mate successfully and produce fertile offspring. Since wolf hybrids are fertile, dogs and wolves are technically the species. In any event, humans, "created" dogs from wolves. Therefor, we have a heavy responsibility to breed carefully for temperament and physical health. Too many are not taking this responsibility when breeding, and I am referring to one-time, backyard pet breeders all the way up to large, commercial kennels. This must change.

Equally important is that dogs, many of which have big teeth, must be raised in a loving, stable home with appropriate training and socialization. Many are not, and this must change too.

We live in a world with lots of dogs, and from an early age parents need to be educated and teach their children how to interact with dogs. And, no child should ever attempt to free a dog in the described situation. Even a dog with a temperament not conducive to aggression may react out of sheer terror or feeling threatened as someone tries to free them in this awful situation.

To attempt to free a terrified pit bull terrier, or any large, powerful dog with possible tendencies towards aggression should be done by at least 2 capable adults with access for easy escape. Amber's mom just did not know, and she will probably suffer tremendous guilt in addition to her already profound feelings of grief for the loss of her beloved daughter.

My heart is breaking for the loss of little Amber, a hero trying to help a dog.

land softly in the storm,

Lion

dingo said:
How many more killings is it going to take before this breed is outlawed:confused:
Exactly.

I am sick of reading about pitbull attacks, that poor little girl.

narlacat said:
Exactly.

I am sick of reading about pitbull attacks, that poor little girl.
----------------

Me too. Our City has banned PitBulls.

This is just terrible. This little girl was trying to help this dog, and she died in the process. I can't imagine the guilt her mother feels.

I have said this before, I live where I am surrounded by pit bulls. My neighbors are not responsible dog owners. They shouldn't even be allowed to own a pet ladybug. The dogs that live behind me have terrorized my children, the water meter reader, the electric meter reader, and me. I have repeatedly called the sheriff who in turn, does nothing. The deputies have told me that I would be within my rights to shoot the dogs when they come after my kids or me. My husband told me not to do it, because I would go to jail. And I fully believe him. The owner of the property that we rent has warned these people about their dogs, but never backs up his threats to evict them when something happens with their dogs. Thankfully, we are moving in about two weeks, to a pit bull free place in the country. I love dogs, but I can't live around pit bulls. I can't even let my dogs outside the door to do their business for fear they will be killed by these monsters. It is so bad that when the water and electric meter readers come, they bring a sheriff's deputy with them, but yet no one but the meter readers and my family see a problem???

I think that people who own pit bulls should be required to take classes on responsible dog ownership. I also think they should be required to have their dogs spayed or neutered. And if there is any evidence that the dogs are being fought, they should lose their rights has owners of those dogs. If there is evidence that those dogs have been fought, those dogs need to be humanely put down, and their owners charged and put in jail. End of story. No second chances.

Here I think the owner took precautions with this dog. It was chained and in a fenced yard. Seems this was a responsible owner. But even that did not stop the dog from killing! This breed of dog should NOT be kept within city limits.

dingo said:
I love dogs too CP and I even get concerned when little ones play with my labrador......They are never left alone with him.
Some people have to relize that pittbulls do not make good pets.....even though many will argue otherwise.
I agree Dingo. My Danes would never attack or show aggression to a child, but I'm always present when children are around them. They get excited and happy playing with children, and they don't have a clue of how LARGE they are. Their "happy tail" wagging can easily injure a child or the will try to cuddle up for hugs and knock a poor kid down. I just don't feel comfortable with children under 12 being alone with such large, powerful dogs, even though they are just being playful. There are just TOO many incidents of Pit Bulls ripping children apart. I just really wouldn't care if the breed became extinct. My heart goes out to this little girls family.

SadieMae said:
I agree Dingo. My Danes would never attack or show aggression to a child, but I'm always present when children are around them. They get excited and happy playing with children, and they don't have a clue of how LARGE they are. Their "happy tail" wagging can easily injure a child or the will try to cuddle up for hugs and knock a poor kid down. I just don't feel comfortable with children under 12 being alone with such large, powerful dogs, even though they are just being playful. There are just TOO many incidents of Pit Bulls ripping children apart. I just really wouldn't care if the breed became extinct. My heart goes out to this little girls family.

I so agree, SadieMae. It isn't just children that they have ripped apart. It is adults too....and sometimes their owners.

Prayers to Amber and her family.

The little girl was just trying to do the right thing. :(

xoxoxoxo

Roses and candles for Amber and family.

LionRun said:
<snip>In any event, humans, "created" dogs from wolves. Therefor, we have a heavy responsibility to breed carefully for temperament and physical health. Too many are not taking this responsibility when breeding, and I am referring to one-time, backyard pet breeders all the way up to large, commercial kennels. This must change.

Equally important is that dogs, many of which have big teeth, must be raised in a loving, stable home with appropriate training and socialization. Many are not, and this must change too.

We live in a world with lots of dogs, and from an early age parents need to be educated and teach their children how to interact with dogs. And, no child should ever attempt to free a dog in the described situation. Even a dog with a temperament not conducive to aggression may react out of sheer terror or feeling threatened as someone tries to free them in this awful situation.

To attempt to free a terrified pit bull terrier, or any large, powerful dog with possible tendencies towards aggression should be done by at least 2 capable adults with access for easy escape. Amber's mom just did not know, and she will probably suffer tremendous guilt in addition to her already profound guilt. <snip>
Well said! :clap: One thing that I read in the article, that alarmed me was how the dog became caught.
news article linked by the first poster said:
in an attempt to jump over the fence, the pit bull was caught.
It tried to jump over the fence. I don't think the owner was as responsible as they seemed at first glance, if the chain was close enough to the fence, (not to mention long enough to allow such things) and the fence low enough that the dog could jump it. And, I ask myself, why did the dog jump the fence?
Amber Jones was in her backyard Friday afternoon practicing cheerleadering moves
:eek: Could it have been going to attack her in the first place? Maybe it only wanted to frolic, it's hard to tell.

My thoughts and prayers are with those who knew and loved Amber. I hope you find healing, and eventual peace. :(

SadieMae said:
Here I think the owner took precautions with this dog. It was chained and in a fenced yard. Seems this was a responsible owner. But even that did not stop the dog from killing! This breed of dog should NOT be kept within city limits.
Unfortunately, we have no idea how poorly or how well this dog was bred. Keeping the dog tied and fenced shows possibly that an attempt to retain there dog was made. But, this is often a sign that the dog was not socialized. In addition, tying a dog to be left unattended is unsafe. I have seen countless dogs come in to the clinic dead or injured as a direct result of being tied and left unattended. A securely fenced dog, in a stable loving family that is well socialized and trained (and initially well bred for temperament and health to begin with) is the best idea.

Not only is keeping a dog tied unsafe; but, it has been proven to induce and/or promote overall aggression. This is so much so, that it is a standard training factor in most if not all dogs trained for protection in Schutzhund, police civil work, and the like. If someone does not have a securely fenced yard, for what ever reason, the dog should be walked, never tied and be left unattended.

I have very strong thoughts and opinions on this; but, they are based on relevant experience over many years. I hope I have not offended anyone in any way, as it is certainly not my intention. I just can't bear to learn of yet one more horrific event such as the tragic, and preventable death of a child. And, it is not the dog's fault. Humans bred and raised the dog. And, the dog that killed little Amber must be put down, for that dog an never be trusted to be around anyone again.

Lion

When I got my lovely Brit from the "pound" about six weeks ago, it states in their rules/regulations that you are NOT to stake/tie up your dog outside. Makes them too aggressive.

Just my two cents there.......

Indeed I think so too Angie--as evidenced by my previous long, drawn out post. How is the Britster doing? Hope you are all shielded from this nasty weather.

Lion

angarella said:
When I got my lovely Brit from the "pound" about six weeks ago, it states in their rules/regulations that you are NOT to stake/tie up your dog outside. Makes them too aggressives.

Just my two cents there.......
My adoption contracts have something similiar in them about not keeping the dog tied up and I must have a fenced yard. I just think it's cruel to leave a dog chained all day and all night. I can see how it can bring out aggression...poor things are probably so frustrated.

LionRun said:
Indeed I think so too Angie--as evidenced by my previous long, drawn out post. How is the Britster doing? Hope you are all shielded from this nasty weather.

Lion

She is so wonderful!!!!!!!! My friend for life, although at times, I have trouble getting her to come out of the car LOL! She is great. Just still no brushing. Oh well, it could be worse.

Ang

SadieMae said:
I also worry about my dog snapping a child if he has been hurt...sometimes kids dont relize what can be painful to a dog....

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CourtandSims4
Back