Mummified baby found in suitcases

Shadow205

Reaction score
Tuesday, January 23, 2007

DELRAY BEACH — A woman cleaning out her deceased parents' storage unit discovered a partially mummified baby - possibly born in the 1950s - inside a suitcase, police said.

The baby was wrapped in 1950s-era newspapers and placed inside the suitcase, which in turn had been packed into a larger suitcase and stored inside the unit at Security Self Storage, 189 Linton Blvd., police said.

<snip>
Investigators believe it's a "very safe bet" that the baby was born as early as the 1950s, Messer said.

Police did not release the names of the man and woman who found the baby, or of the couple who rented the unit before their deaths.

Police and the medical examiner's office are investigating.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2007/01/23/s1b_baby_0123.html

I have heard of a guy finding a photo of his mother in a threesome with two men upon her death, and another guy finding a penis pump in his deceased father's belongings - but I can't imagine the questions that will forever be unanswered surrounding THIS find!

Everything you ever thought about your parents is all of a sudden GONE, replaced with the knowledge you did not know them at all.

Glitch, I can only imagine what your daughter when find when she'd going through your things. :D Hee. JK, you know I luv ya. :blowkiss:

Something similar happened in my area. I don't think they ever determined who the baby belonged to that was found in an attic. The house had been sold when new owners found the remains. Previous owners had been deceased many years.

i can see this thing happening a lot in the old days. infant mortality was much more common, people had more babies, i could see once in a while when one didn't make it, the mother's grief caused her to hang onto the body.. but eventually, what do you do with it? it's hard to let go, and it becomes a morbid 'keepsake'. and either no one knew about it, or no one asked where or when it was buried, and somehow it just ends up in the attic or a storage place, because by then the woman knows it would raise a few eyebrows as to her mental state. or, it was just a very private thing to her. the husband might not have had all the crayons in his box and thought nothing of it (people seemed to be a lot more eccentric in the old days)... or he might have known she kept it and just didn't care, or was in denial or whatever. and there were probably a lot less public resources for dealing with grief over a dead or stillborn child back then... women were probably expected to just get over and it and move on... there's a house to be cleaned and more children to take care of.
also people had a different view of death back then (remember the victorian dead child photos? and think of the mummy tombs in places like palermo, sicily where they kept their dead)... even in recent times it was common for rural people to take photos of their dead loved ones at funerals, and keep them in a photo album (don't know if this is still done). and how people sometimes taxidermied their beloved pets... things that seem weird to us today.
probably finding a mummified baby would not be considered huge news back then, the way it is today.

Could be reb. Also something else I thought of. Maybe back then when being unwed and pregnant was such a disgrace, I wonder if it could be a relatives "illegitimate" baby? Daughter, sister's? I don't think it will ever be known the circumstances of that baby. I wonder if DNA could at least be done to show who the child is related to?

so true.. that certainly could be the case... and you would think they'd want to bury it and hide the evidence, but a burial may have attracted too much attention from people asking questions.. so it was just easier to 'bury' it somewhere in the house. especially if the girl/woman did not have access to a car so she could drive somewhere far away and dispose of it somewhere.
could be an incest situation too.... yikes.

GlitchWizard said:
I have heard of a guy finding a photo of his mother in a threesome with two men upon her death, and another guy finding a penis pump in his deceased father's belongings - but I can't imagine the questions that will forever be unanswered surrounding THIS find!

Everything you ever thought about your parents is all of a sudden GONE, replaced with the knowledge you did not know them at all.
omg

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I bet that DNA would be too degraded to see - but if the baby was placed there shortly after birth (like if baby was stillborn) mom's DNA would surely be around in usual circumstances.

pedinurse said:
I bet that DNA would be too degraded to see - but if the baby was placed there shortly after birth (like if baby was stillborn) mom's DNA would surely be around in usual circumstances.
Hi Pedinurse! Don't think I've posted with you before, but welcome to WS!
I was wondering about any DNA being available also, since newborns don't really have teeth yet, and their bones are pretty much cartilage. But would hair be a possible source of DNA? I doubt they will try to find out who this infant belonged to. Personally, I would hate to find out my mom gave birth and hid the body of my sibling for whatever reason. :eek: I would want to know if the baby was related to me and give it some kind of proper burial.

Can you imagine the shock of opening a suitcase with a dead baby in it? Holy crap!!

They were probably expecting Granny's hand-crocheted doilies or something and BAM, baby carcass!!

Gross!!

:eek:
LisainWV said:
Can you imagine the shock of opening a suitcase with a dead baby in it? Holy crap!!

They were probably expecting Granny's hand-crocheted doilies or something and BAM, baby carcass!!

Gross!!
You've got that right!! It would freak me right out.

YIKES! This article really freaked me out!
Wasn't there a story a good 10 years back about a woman in an apartment (NY area) where she kept the baby who died inside the wall? Wasn't the baby or child killed and the siblings looked for this sister/brother? I want to say it was a girl about 6 years old and mentally challenged or something. *shudder*

MrsG728 said:
YIKES! This article really freaked me out!
Wasn't there a story a good 10 years back about a woman in an apartment (NY area) where she kept the baby who died inside the wall? Wasn't the baby or child killed and the siblings looked for this sister/brother? I want to say it was a girl about 6 years old and mentally challenged or something. *shudder*

Yes, it was NY. The mom killed the baby girl who was younger than that and denied that such a child existed. The bro and sis were haunted about it and finally got the case reopened. The child was in the wall for years.

lisainWV...... you crack me up!

curious1 said:
Glitch, I can only imagine what your daughter when find when she'd going through your things. :D Hee. JK, you know I luv ya. :blowkiss:
Nah, I'm going to live forever. So far so good!

Actually, I have some friends in place to come clean out the dungeon if I die. Not to shield my daughter, who is relatively knowledgeable, but to shield my Mother. If Mom died of a heart attack cleaning out my house, I'd sure hear the nagging when she met me in the afterlife! So much for resting in peace!

reb said:
i can see this thing happening a lot in the old days. infant mortality was much more common, people had more babies, i could see once in a while when one didn't make it, the mother's grief caused her to hang onto the body.. but eventually, what do you do with it? it's hard to let go, and it becomes a morbid 'keepsake'. and either no one knew about it, or no one asked where or when it was buried, and somehow it just ends up in the attic or a storage place, because by then the woman knows it would raise a few eyebrows as to her mental state. or, it was just a very private thing to her. the husband might not have had all the crayons in his box and thought nothing of it (people seemed to be a lot more eccentric in the old days)... or he might have known she kept it and just didn't care, or was in denial or whatever. and there were probably a lot less public resources for dealing with grief over a dead or stillborn child back then... women were probably expected to just get over and it and move on... there's a house to be cleaned and more children to take care of.
also people had a different view of death back then (remember the victorian dead child photos? and think of the mummy tombs in places like palermo, sicily where they kept their dead)... even in recent times it was common for rural people to take photos of their dead loved ones at funerals, and keep them in a photo album (don't know if this is still done). and how people sometimes taxidermied their beloved pets... things that seem weird to us today.
probably finding a mummified baby would not be considered huge news back then, the way it is today.
--------------

I was in my early 20's in the 50's. Finding a mummified infant would have been investigated by authorities just as it is today.Infants were given a proper burial just as today in fact they were rarely found in a garbage bag as they are today.I have a stillborn daughter buried with the rest of my family.Having a baby born to an unwed mom was not the kiss of death,that goes back more to the early 1900's,families in the 50's weren't that much larger than they are now. We didn't taxidermy pets.Men would have hunting "trophy's" stuffed.My husband took a picture of my baby daughter~yes because moms weren't allowed to see or hold their dead infant.I personally think the person who mummified this poor infant had a screw loose.

GlitchWizard said:
Nah, I'm going to live forever. So far so good!

Actually, I have some friends in place to come clean out the dungeon if I die. Not to shield my daughter, who is relatively knowledgeable, but to shield my Mother. If Mom died of a heart attack cleaning out my house, I'd sure hear the nagging when she met me in the afterlife! So much for resting in peace!
OMG you make me laugh!!!!
I just do not want to imagine!!!
I can't even imagine the shock if anyone had to look through my underwear drawer....
OK going to clean now and buy padlocks !!!

There was another story like this that I saw on Cold Case File or forensic Files I cant remember which. The woman had done this multiple times. The first time she left the baby in a suitcase in the trunk of a car. and then years later the contents of a storage locker that she rented was auctioned off because of non-payment and they either found one or two infants in it.

You would think that if you were hiding something like that you would at least keep up the payments on the storage space until you could retrive the evidence! DUH

There was another one hiding her dead infants in flower pots, I think that was in the UK. It seems like there was a total of 8 babies, but I am not to sure.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back