UK: Don't jail any more criminals

Floh

Former Member
Reaction score
Is this sad (in Briton-speak, sad), or what?

Desperate Ministers will beg judges to stop sending criminals to prisons - because they are full.
A letter will be sent to courts across the country admitting that jails are officially in crisis.
It pleads for only the most violent or dangerous criminals to be given a custodial sentence. Magistrates are also being asked to allow bail to all but the most serious crime suspects.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/...s+-+don't+jail+any+more+criminals!/article.do

Seriously, how extreme can this be?

and how far into anarchy over the UK is it? this is a Western country's creeking into downfall, IMO. :eek:

what next? people who only murdered a little?

BUILD MORE PRISONS!!!

We hear the same here, Flo. It's been claimed Michigan incarcerates more criminals per capita than neighboring states. To me that means the police are doing their jobs........it is a vicious circle though.

ljwf22 said:
We hear the same here, Flo. It's been claimed Michigan incarcerates more criminals per capita than neighboring states. To me that means the police are doing their jobs........it is a vicious circle though.
I think a big part of it may be that michigan has flint and detroit. Alot of bad apples in those cities alone.

ETA- Surely there has got to be enough finances that the queen of england can cut back a bit and afford a bigger jail ;)

Time to put the Tower of London back in the business of being a prison. LoL

I was in London this past October... this was a big issuge on the news because they were just at the tilting point of having over-crowded jails. I told a friend that maybe it's time to boot the monarchy and put the people's money to better uses. The Queen is a mere figure-head, in this day and time... she has very very limited powers and quite a few historians over there will tell you that the monarchy's main purpose, anymore, is as a tool for tourism. In other words, they are over-priced social ambassadors.

Time to tell the queen to pack up... or at least give up a palace: the Tower of London went from being a palace, to being a prison. Surely the queen has one palace she can let go for that purpose. LoL Mind you, not in the same tradition of the Tower of London... (a long long long time ago, the English monarchy took great pleasure in executing people, torturing people, scaring the citizens by placing criminals heads on spikes around the city of London, to prove a point. Way back then, almost anything could be misconstrued as a crime... being sent to the Tower usually meant death... in a violent way... especially if the King took your "crime" personally. Heck, look at what Henry VIII did to his wives when he tired of them... and their cohorts. Scary times, it was...)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back