Prehistoric Shark Filmed in Japan

Becba

Former Member
Reaction score
I saw that one on the news! Freaky looking thing! My first thought was "Nessy!" lol

I wonder if it normally swims that way, or if it was sort of stilted because it was sick? Same with the creepy sounds...

SeriouslySearching said:
I saw that one on the news! Freaky looking thing! My first thought was "Nessy!" lol
I posted this in the Jury room the other day and that was my first thought too, then 'eww wonder what else is down there'........lol

Trust the Japs to kill the poor thing.

Ich! Looks like the head of a shark and the body of an eel! :eek: I wonder about the details. How deep was the shark spotted? How many of these species are alive? Are any in captivity, like at SeaWorld or whatever?

nanandjim said:
Ich! Looks like the head of a shark and the body of an eel! :eek: I wonder about the details. How deep was the shark spotted? How many of these species are alive? Are any in captivity, like at SeaWorld or whatever?[/QUOTE]

They hang out wayyy down and are rarely seen.

I think they thought they were extinct.

Don't think so.

narlacat said:
They hang out wayyy down and are rarely seen...
I read that they normally are found at 400 - 4500(?) feet in the sea. However, if they are sick, they are sometimes spotted. I am wondering at what level this shark was spotted and if it were sick?

It's a pretty brutal- looking creature--certainly has a prehistoric look to it--imagine the whole ocean being filled with those things

nanandjim said:
I read that they normally are found at 400 - 4500(?) feet in the sea. However, if they are sick, they are sometimes spotted. I am wondering at what level this shark was spotted and if it were sick?
I hear 600, either way they are not cruising around on the top of the ocean, luckily..........lol

I don't know if it was sick, I just heard it died and thought, geez why couldn't they just take a photo and then leave it alone....maybe it was sick and they were trying to help it.....just doesn't sound like something the Japs would do...they usually kill anything that swims.

narlacat said:
I posted this in the Jury room the other day and that was my first thought too, then 'eww wonder what else is down there'........lol

Trust the Japs to kill the poor thing.
That's kind of a racist statement... "the japs?" how rude!!

pedinurse said:
That's kind of a racist statement... "the japs?" how rude!!
The Japanese, that better?

It's called abbreviation.

Well,i think it may be a little racist--think the only people that still call them Japs are those that grew up in the 1940's,and read about their atrocities back then--But Narla, you are right about their lack of sympathy for sea creatures--They've clubbed to death countless porpoises that interfered with their fishing and I believe they still hunt whales(or did) despite a ban on killing them

Peter Hamilton said:
Well,i think it may be a little racist--think the only people that still call them Japs are those that grew up in the 1940's,and read about their atrocities back then--But Narla, you are right about their lack of sympathy for sea creatures--They've clubbed to death countless porpoises that interfered with their fishing and I believe they still hunt whales(or did) despite a ban on killing them

Ok, it wasn't meant to be, for everyone I offended- sorry.

See link:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/2/story.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10419439

Hee. Love the part about the 'can opener'. ;) I hope they don't have to use it, but if they do I support them. I am no 'tree hugger', but the Japanese should not be allowed to do this.

curious1 said:
Hee. Love the part about the 'can opener'. ;) I hope they don't have to use it, but if they do I support them. I am no 'tree hugger', but the Japanese should not be allowed to do this.

Chuckle.

I'm no 'tree hugger' either really, but LOVE Greenpeace and give to them when I can.

The Japanese discovered a loop hole and now do their killing in the name of scientific research.

i undertand that our species wants to live and one of the mains food we consume is fish.. but since we are unable or unwilling to curtail our numbers, what happens when there are no fish left? at the rate japan is going we'll get there sooner than we think.
and the story about greenpeace throwing acid on the whaling ships...whoa!! but, sorry-- i'm glad they did! for everyone who calls them terrorists... i would have to say the fishermen are the real terrorists here. i mean, what the flying bejeezus are they doing still hunting whales, anyway,, may i ask...????? we no longer slaughter the world's largest (and among the most majestic and intelligent) creatures to fill our need for hoop skirts and perfume, so what is it now? i guess they're just eating them? that's so unbelievably wrong. and by the way, north american indians shouldn't be hunting them either.. i don't give a damn about their 'cultural traditions'... the cultural traditions of native people cause just as many extinctions as anyone else.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back