MO - Girl Scout Threatened by Shotgun While Selling Cookies

Floh

Former Member
Reaction score
St. Louis, MO *--* Door-to-door danger for a young Girl Scout selling cookies in south St. Louis. The scout given a scare when she was allegedly threatened with a gun. Officers were called to a south St. Louis street Tuesday for a report of someone pointing a gun at someone else. The person with the gun was a 78 year old woman. The person she was pointing the gun towards was an 8 year old Girl Scout. Her father says they identified themselves after a knock on the door but were met with obscenities.

http://www.myfoxstl.com/myfox/pages...n=3&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=3.2.1

Initially, i was horrified this tradition (selling cookies door to door) still goes one. but i've since learned girl scouts are told to always go door to door with an adult, thank goodness.

the son says the family have had attempted break-ins recently and that is how he explains his mother's reaction.

"Give me all your cookies or I'm gonna shoot ya", lol

I think for grandmas own safety as well as the safety of the neighbors in the area that she may need to be placed in an area where weapons aren't readilly available. Like a nursing home. Did the grandmother really think that the 8 year old girl was responsible for the previous break-ins? I think not. Maybe grandma has a touch of alzheimers or something?

Arming senior citizens to protect themselves is not a good plan. That's how the 88 year old woman in ATL got killed by narcotics police who were raiding her house. She pulled a gun and they shot her.

It's being investigated, but it boils down to her having a gun.

PS don't bother flaming me. We are gun owners, just a lot more careful with them than that.

Well, they are pretty darn good cookies ;) ...sorry, couldn't resist.

Seriously scary for that poor kiddo.

That kind of reminds me. Has anyone here had a gun pointed at them? I have...it's one of the scariest experiences I've ever had.

I think the days of sending kids door to door is long gone. I never had any Girl Scouts, but I never let the boys sell anything door to door. Too many grumpy people out there with guns.

Three years ago one of the girls from our troop knocked on a door which was answered by a woman in her underwear. Not only did she open the door while less than clothed, she then tried to pay the Scout with money she'd pulled from her bra! Showing true dedication, the girl managed to keep it together to get the order. But, when they went back to deliver, the home had notices on it that it had been a clandestine meth lab, and it was all blocked in by police tape.

So, I'm not surprised the shotgun thing happened, it's a weird world out there.

It's my understanding that the girls are still encouraged to go door to door, but only if they have an adult with them. And our council sets up booths in front of the grocery stores so the kids can get it all done at once if they want to.

My girls don't sell cookies, it's way too much hassle and it seems pretty unsafe.

JBean said:
I think the days of sending kids door to door is long gone. I never had any Girl Scouts, but I never let the boys sell anything door to door. Too many grumpy people out there with guns.
Girl Scouts in our area usually set a table up outside Wal-Mart or a grocery store w/ their mom. I can't imagine going door to door these days.

kahskye said:
Girl Scouts in our area usually set a table up outside Wal-Mart or a grocery store w/ their mom. I can't imagine going door to door these days.
I like that system. I like being able to get some GS cookies when I am out shopping. I know some people bring the order forms into the office too and I think that is also a better system.

Poor little girl. Agreed that setting up a table at a Wal-Mart or mall w/ Mom and other GS's is a good option. In this day and age it would be good to have a Dad there, as well.

We have a Girl Scout troop affiliated with our church and they sell them after every Mass during the sell season. Our pastor lets them set up a table in the Parish Center and they do their selling there. They sell plenty! :angel:

I have had girl scouts in our neighborhood, but it's usually kids I know or they are in a group with at least one parent. They take turns selling, but stay together. Of course, I'm in a pretty safe area, and I'd be shocked if anything like this ever happened here.

Most of the girl scout cookies I buy are from my own friends who are selling them for their kids! The "quotas" and pressure is unbelievable.

When I was a kid, my dad worked on an aircraft carrier. They were about to go to sea for six months. You've NEVER seen anyone sell so many Girl Scout cookies!!! :D

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back