GUILTY VT - Jacob McDowell, 24, shot to death, Sutton, 27 Jan 2007

dark_shadows

Former Member
Reaction score
Sorry to see crime there up in Sutton--The Northeast Kingdom of Vermont has the most beautiful Fall colors in the world--Rt. 114, Island Pond,St. Johnsbury area--In 2003 we were stunned at the intense reds, oranges,and other varying colors--some trees semed to be glowing---nice rural area

Peter Hamilton said:
Sorry to see crime there up in Sutton--The Northeast Kingdom of Vermont has the most beautiful Fall colors in the world--Rt. 114, Island Pond,St. Johnsbury area--In 2003 we were stunned at the intense reds, oranges,and other varying colors--some trees semed to be glowing---nice rural area
I went to Vermont as a young child years ago with my family. And, I still remember the stunningly beautiful trees with their gorgeous colors laying over beautiful hills. Later I went to Killington, Vermont to ski. It is a beautiful State.

Thank you for posting dark shadows. It used to be that even hearing about such a young person committing murder was a shock. It doesn't seem so anymore. This is just terrible. A 24 year old man is gone, and he was killed by a 15 year old by. Although, it is absolutely no excuse, I would like to know what the dispute was that may have led to the young man's murder.

Lion

Peter Hamilton said:
Dear Peter Hamilton,:)
Thank you very much for your post.
This is horrible for us and also a friend of mine who lives in Sutton. He is a well known actor who moved here many years ago.
Respectfully,
dark_shadows

LionRun said:
I went to Vermont as a young child years ago with my family. And, I still remember the stunningly beautiful trees with their gorgeous colors laying over beautiful hills. Later I went to Killington, Vermont to ski. It is a beautiful State.

Thank you for posting dark shadows. It used to be that even hearing about such a young person committing murder was a shock. It doesn't seem so anymore. This is just terrible. A 24 year old man is gone, and he was killed by a 15 year old by. Although, it is absolutely no excuse, I would like to know what the dispute was that may have led to the young man's murder.

Lion
Hello my dear friend Lion,:blowkiss:
I am happy that you had the chance to see our beautiful state. How did you feel about skiing here? I am full of :eek: to say that I do not ski!!! I do not have the time to anyway. My friends in Jersey rib me about that all of the time. They come here to vacation and spend an arm and a leg to ski here when I can do it for free in my backyard and at a discount anywhere in the state for being a state employee! Blah, I cannot stand the cold much less trying to maneuver around the trees without getting whacked.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

I wonder - is it possible the two are brothers?

BTW, I'm with you DS, about skiing. I tried it a few times years ago, and decided (1) it was too cold for my liking, and (2) I didn't want to die that way - LOL. Obviously, I wasn't very good at it.

dark_shadows said:
Hello my dear friend Lion,:blowkiss:
I am happy that you had the chance to see our beautiful state. How did you feel about skiing here? I am full of :eek: to say that I do not ski!!! I do not have the time to anyway. My friends in Jersey rib me about that all of the time. They come here to vacation and spend an arm and a leg to ski here when I can do it for free in my backyard and at a discount anywhere in the state for being a state employee! Blah, I cannot stand the cold much less trying to maneuver around the trees without getting whacked.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070127/NEWS/70127003

A 15-year-old boy is in custody after police said he shot and killed a man last night the Northeast Kingdom town of Sutton.

Vermont State Police received a 911 call at approximately 12:30 a.m. today from 144 Freedom Road in Sutton, reporting a shooting within the home. Uniformed troopers and rescue crews responded to the residence, where the victim -- Jacob A. McDowell, 24, of Sheffield -- was pronounced dead of a gunshot wound to the
torso.

A 15-year-old male, who police have not identified, was taken into custody without incident and is being charged with murder. Bail was set at $50,000 by the Judge M.Kathleen Manley.

Preliminary investigation determined that prior to the shooting,
the victim and the accused were engaged in a dispute within the residence.

Alice, that is a good question. I wonder if they may have been related. The article states that they had a dispute inside the home where Jacob was killed. So, it seems they were not strangers. In any event, I wonder what their relationship was.

OT: Dark shadows, I went skiing for the first time in my life in Killington. I had no idea what I was doing. I had never skied before. It is a good story. If ever there is a thread I could post it on I will. We had a fantastic time. In fact, it was one of the best weekends of my life.

You have friends in New Jersey? I live in the lonestar state now; but, I am originally from New York and New Jersey.

Best to you:),

Lion

Alice253 said:
I wonder - is it possible the two are brothers?

BTW, I'm with you DS, about skiing. I tried it a few times years ago, and decided (1) it was too cold for my liking, and (2) I didn't want to die that way - LOL. Obviously, I wasn't very good at it.
Hello Alice,:)
It is very nice to see you. They were not brothers, the 24 year-old that he killed, was the accused teen's mother's boyfriend.
Part of the news script;

2} MURDER2_PKG 15 year old Jonas Dixon of Sutton Vermont walked into court for his arraignment showing little emotion. He is accused of the 2nd degree murder of his mother's boyfriend-- 24-year-old Jacob McDowell.

More at this link;
link

More from link;
He was arraigned today as an adult but it will be up to a judge to decide if the case will be tried in district court, or moved to juvenile court.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

So....The 15 year old calls the police to say the victim, the mother's 24 year old boyfriend, is having sex with the mother and he doesn't like it.

Then he shoots the boyfriend.

What's wrong with this picture? :waitasec:

linkST. JOHNSBURY -- A 15-year-old boy accused of killing his mother's boyfriend told a police dispatcher he shot the man in a struggle as the victim tried to disarm him, according to a police affidavit released Monday.

"I can't believe I pulled the trigger," Jonas Dixon said, according to the affidavit.

Dixon, of Sutton, pleaded not guilty Monday to second-degree murder in the death of Jacob McDowell, 24, of Sheffield. Charged as an adult, he was being held on $100,000 bail Monday.

Dixon showed little emotion in the court room filled with friends and family of his and the victim.

McDowell was killed Saturday during a confrontation in the trailer Dixon shared with his mother, Julie Dixon, 37.

Dixon shot McDowell once in the chest with a shotgun after telling him to leave the mobile home, Detective Sgt. Robert Cushing wrote in the affidavit. Dixon said McDowell lunged toward him and tried to grab the gun, according to the affidavit.

"I was so scared, I can't believe I did it," Dixon ....
More at link.

There is more to this story.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Can you tell us more, dark_shadows?

SewingDeb said:
Can you tell us more, dark_shadows?
Dear Sewingdeb,
The only thing that I can say is that he is in the facility that I work at and that is an adult facility.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

How....strange. I can only imagine what was going on in that household and it isn't all good.

Dark_Shadows: In my daydreams, I live on a beautiful farm in Vermont with pygmy goats and my dogs run freely on my massive plot of land. :eek: However, I have never actually been to Vermont. But, what I have seen and heard of it creates such a gorgeous picture in my mind.

Dalilah said:
How....strange. I can only imagine what was going on in that household and it isn't all good.

Dark_Shadows: In my daydreams, I live on a beautiful farm in Vermont with pygmy goats and my dogs run freely on my massive plot of land. :eek: However, I have never actually been to Vermont. But, what I have seen and heard of it creates such a gorgeous picture in my mind.
Dear Dalilah,:)

Nice to hear from you. I cannot believe that you said that about the pygmy goats! I saw some at my friend's house and I thought that they are just soooo cute!!!

Thanks for the post and I hope that you keep track of this story.

Also, his father died in a car accident in Aug of 2004. Jonas's father served in both the Wyoming and Vermont Army National Guard. He moved from Wyoming back to Vermont (he was born in St. Albans, Vermont).

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Hi dark_shadows! :blowkiss:

Thanks for sharing this story with us. There must be a lot more to this story that we are not privy to. Is it customary to place a 15 year old in an adult prison population? That seems highly unusual!

I don't understand what is with all these youth commiting murders these days! Just this past week a 16 year old (allegedly) murdered his mother in Boise. Last month Bryan Kim (allegedly) murdered both his parents in Mt Spokane. What in the heck is going on? :confused:

Liz said:
Hi dark_shadows! :blowkiss:

Thanks for sharing this story with us. There must be a lot more to this story that we are not privy to. Is it customary to place a 15 year old in an adult prison population? That seems highly unusual!

I don't understand what is with all these youth commiting murders these days! Just this past week a 16 year old (allegedly) murdered his mother in Boise. Last month Bryan Kim (allegedly) murdered both his parents in Mt Spokane. What in the heck is going on? :confused:
Dear Liz,:blowkiss:
I always love your posts.
Yes, there is more to this story. It is not what it appears.
Respectfully,
dark_shadows

dark_shadows said:
linkST. JOHNSBURY -- A 15-year-old boy accused of killing his mother's boyfriend told a police dispatcher he shot the man in a struggle as the victim tried to disarm him, according to a police affidavit released Monday.

"I can't believe I pulled the trigger," Jonas Dixon said, according to the affidavit.

Dixon, of Sutton, pleaded not guilty Monday to second-degree murder in the death of Jacob McDowell, 24, of Sheffield. Charged as an adult, he was being held on $100,000 bail Monday.

Dixon showed little emotion in the court room filled with friends and family of his and the victim.

McDowell was killed Saturday during a confrontation in the trailer Dixon shared with his mother, Julie Dixon, 37.

Dixon shot McDowell once in the chest with a shotgun after telling him to leave the mobile home, Detective Sgt. Robert Cushing wrote in the affidavit. Dixon said McDowell lunged toward him and tried to grab the gun, according to the affidavit.

"I was so scared, I can't believe I did it," Dixon ....
More at link.

There is more to this story.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

It sounds like a teen not fully apprised of his emotions. He saw his mother in bed with a young man and the young man was trying to disarm him, nullify him. Not what a teen wants to see or be a part of as I am sure he felt like the man of the household since his father passed away. Regardless, he will pay deep consequences for his actions.

What I don't understand is why he is in an adult facility. He is obviously underage.

Has the 24 year old taunted him in the past? Did his mother taunt him? Or the manifestations something he conjured up or is there a reality to what occurred? This seems to be a many shade of grey type case but in any event the child needs counseling.

http://www.caledonianrecord.com/pages/top_news/story/663011a46

Jonas is going to be tried in an adult court.
Jonas's father had died just prior to this incident. He was killed in a very bad car accident. Jonas was very close to his father. If I remember correctly, the gun used was a hunting gun that his father had given him when they went hunting together.

I do not feel that Jonas should be tried as an adult. There was alot going on in his home life that should be a factor.

I want to say more about this, but I will not. :silenced:

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

The mother is 37 and her boyfriend is 24? That's quite a jump in age there. How long ago did his father die? There's definitely more to this story

I've had a saying for a long time and I don't know where I even picked it up but if everyone lived by this we'd have a lot less tragedy here. Nothing good ever happens after midnight is what I've always told my kids. I agree there is more to come on this story.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back