National Park Debate

SeriouslySearching

Reaction score
Frankly, I am glad a judge squared off with them on this issue. I am not an evironmentalist, but keeping the parks as near original condition...undisturbed by adding new hotels seems like a great idea to me! Why did they allow hotels in a national park to begin with? Campsites I agree with because they are less obtrusive to the environment, but hotels should only be on private land surrounding the parks. Here, we have an abundance of lakes/parks owned by the US Army Corp of Engineers. Minimal camping facilities are allowed, but no other type of business is. They won't even allow a marina or boat docks placed on the lakes.

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007Jan29/0,4670,YosemiteGridlock,00.html

I grew up visiting the Mile High Swinging Bridge here in NC. Well, I had not been in about 15 years. I went about 3 years ago, made it across and was crawling around on the rocks on the other side and looked off to one side and there was this horrendous structure. Someone built a hotel on the side of one of the mountains. It was awful looking. It did not take into account the surroundings at all. I found out from talking to a 'local' that as soon as that was approved the locals took action and that won't be happening again. They could have done something low and in natural colors that clung to the side of the mountain. No, this was a gray concrete 4 or more stories and just looked awful. I agree in the parks no building. Campgrounds yes, hotels, no.

the truth is that the land has already been touched and is not in its natural state..

Rebuilding a hotel will not affect it. It will cost less money to build a hotel then it will to attempt to restore it to its natural state.

I have to disagree. In may case, it may not have been in it's truly 'natural state', but it was much more pleasing at which to look without that monstrosity sitting on it looking like a big tooth sticking out of the side of the mountain. I don't understand the need for 'man' to put his footprint on every single piece of land they think they can milk a dollar from. Please note...I am not a 'tree hugger', but I do have my limits on what I think man should be allowed to do.

curious1 said:
I have to disagree. In may case, it may not have been in it's truly 'natural state', but it was much more pleasing at which to look without that monstrosity sitting on it looking like a big tooth sticking out of the side of the mountain. I don't understand the need for 'man' to put his footprint on every single piece of land they think they can milk a dollar from. Please note...I am not a 'tree hugger', but I do have my limits on what I think man should be allowed to do.

lol....i've actually hugged a tree ooh, 4 times in 2006....it IS a cool feeling, when it feels right to do it, lol..(if that makes sense)
..but i do work outside 7 mos of the year, so i'm around a lot of trees...

SeriouslySearching said:
Frankly, I am glad a judge squared off with them on this issue. I am not an evironmentalist, but keeping the parks as near original condition...undisturbed by adding new hotels seems like a great idea to me! Why did they allow hotels in a national park to begin with?
Info on the Ahwahnee Hotel:OPENED: The Ahwahnee Hotel was completed in 1927 to provide accommodations in Yosemite National Park fitting for visiting dignitaries who did not want to "rough it". The Ahwahnee was not the first hotel constructed in Yosemite with this in mind, but it was the first designed to last. It is almost completely constructed of stone, concrete, and steel so that it would not meet the same doom as previous hotels in Yosemite - fire. The exterior facade of the Ahwahnee is constructed of poured concrete shaped and stained to resemble redwood. The Awahnee Hotel Yosemite Park is part of the grand scheme of this mixture of natural playground, sanctuary, and place of unparalleled beauty. Part of what makes the Ahwahnee Hotel Yosemite so fabulous is that the architecture seeks to blend into and not detract from its majestic surroundings.
http://www.*****************************/ahwahnee-hotel-yosemite.htm

LinasK said:
The Ahwahnee was not the first hotel constructed in Yosemite with this in mind, but it was the first designed to last. It is almost completely constructed of stone, concrete, and steel so that it would not meet the same doom as previous hotels in Yosemite - fire. http://www.*****************************/ahwahnee-hotel-yosemite.htm
This statement is rather amusing to me. Note the reason they are going to redo some of the hotel/lodge is because it flooded! LOL Guess they didn't quite think that one through. :doh:

I think that makes my point even more...

If this was not the first hotel and it was built in 1927??
The land has not been in its natural state for a very long time.
It should be noted that fire does restore a natural landscape.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rangelmcguire
Back