Lawsuit filed against cops in woman's miscarriage

Annie said:
I just saw this on Fox News this morning. It is the first I had heart of it. Why couldn't they have taken her to the hospital first and then they could have taken her to jail if they found out she was lying. I think their treatment of her was heartless.
http://www.foxnews.com/video2/player06.html?013107/013107_miscarriage&FNL&Miscarriage%20Lawsuit&Miscarriage%20Lawsuit&US&-1&News&35&&&exp
I agree that the officers acted inappropriately. I didn't catch it when I watched the video - why did they take her to jail?

what jerks. this coupled with rape victim case makes me wonder if the police have a problem with women.

I heard the audio of the female cop telling her "It's called a menstrual cycle". They are claiming language barrier, but I understood what the lady was trying to convey plain as day. This makes me sick. We have cops around here like that and it is just wrong.

southcitymom said:
I agree that the officers acted inappropriately. I didn't catch it when I watched the video - why did they take her to jail?
I just assumed that they had stopped her for speeding on her way to the hospital. She was already bleeding when they stopped her. I think they definitely showed a lack of compassion for someone in trouble. I am glad we have the camera in police cars now. I think they are there basically for the benefit of the police to verify what happened but in some cases it benefits the person being stopped like in this case. Without the video it would be their word against hers and I doubt if she would be the one to be believed.

Good Grief! I saw and heard the clip this morning on the Today Show. That woman was clear and precise, not to mention very respectful to those officers. There was no language barrier. Their actions were totally inappropriate.

I agree. When they said that a language barrier was the problem my daughter and I both looked at each other and said, "WHAT?????" The police had to provide the woman with new pants 3 times while they held her at the jail. How could anyone think that's a normal menstrual cycle?

I think it's likely that nothing could have been done to stop her from losing the baby, but she should have had medical attention. That female cop -- I could have smacked her when she accused the woman of having an attitude. The woman was nothing but respectful.

I saw the video today and IMO these officers should be kicked off the force. There was no language barrier unless the officers were not capable of understanding english.

VB

This article says she was placing a fake temporary license on her car. I still think she should have been taken to the hospital to be checked out first, even if they arrested her later. It just seems that would be the most important issue there if she was bleeding heavily. I had said in an earlier post I though she might have been speeding but that was not the case.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=157&sid=851528

... And they try to convey that a citizen's safety comes first and foremost, BS!! From an experience I had and what I've seen and read, I have no respect for law enforcement in the least. I have a friend that's a sheriff and I could tell you some stories. I admit that there are some good and honest cops, but many, many are not! I didn't read the article, but I hope there's a lawsuit pending!

If I was a cop I would have followed her to the hospital. A petty traffic offense should not have prevented medical care.

The cops acted totally inappropriately. However, chances are the woman would have lost the baby anyways. A m/c at 3 months is considered just that, its not a stillbirth or giving birth, its a m/c. Bleeding at 12 weeks almost always results in losing the fetus. She was bleeding too heavy for the fetus to remain inatct.

How in the world would the female cop know she was only having her period? You could clearly understand the woman saying she was losing the baby.

Too bad the big egos of these cops got in the way.

From the CNN article, I can definitely see how the cops hinky meter would be up - she drives to the store, goes shopping, then needs to put a fake temporary license on her car to drive to the hospital? Why didn't she put it on to drive to the store? Watching varying ER reality shows, you do see the cops have trouble with people who make up stories to try to go to the ER rather than jail - so I can see how it fits together.

Doesn't change anything - no matter what they suspected, no matter what her record, they should have called paramedics to make the medical decision - but I understand what happened a bit better.

What I don't understand is how it's been a full year, and the cops only recently got suspended! And what about people running the holding area? Some one there is at least as culpable as the cops were.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back