Ryan O'Neal Arrested For Assulting Son

White Rain

Reaction score
http://www.wsbtv.com/entertainment/10927325/detail.html

MALIBU, Calif. -- Police have arrested Oscar-nominated actor Ryan O'Neal on assault charges.

Deputies and paramedics arrived at O'Neal's Malibu residence early Saturday morning on a battery call. Los Angeles County Sheriff's Lt. John Benedict said the actor allegedly assaulted his adult son, Griffin.

Benedict did not provide details on what caused the fight and says an investigation is under way.

The 65-year-old actor was arrested for assault with a deadly weapon and negligent discharge of a firearm. He was booked and released on a $50,000 bond.

Benedict said no one was treated for injuries.

The twice-divorced Ryan O'Neal, known for his boyish good looks, went from a TV soap opera to an Oscar-nominated role in "Love Story." With his first wife, Joanna Moore, he has two children, Griffin and actress Tatum O'Neal. He also has a son, Redmond, with actress Farrah Fawcett.

In 2001, he was diagnosed with leukemia.

Griffin O'Neal has a history of trouble. In 1986, he was acquitted of manslaughter for a boating accident that killed director Francis Ford Coppola's 23-year-old son, Gian-Carlo. In 1992, he avoided a possible three-year jail sentence by pleading no contest to charges he shot at his estranged girlfriend's unoccupied car.

I read this earlier, I wonder what this was all about? I want to read that book "Paper Life" by Tatum, they had a horrible upbringing. I can only imagine what happened here?:confused:

It seems there was always bad blood between Ryan and Griffin. Griffin is a troubled soul ... but then again Ryan would never win a father of the year award either. A very dysfunctional family to say the least.

wow--must have been some fight since a gun was fired--we'll be hearing a lot more about this pretty soon--this is one really messed up family

I was really disappointed to read this.

I was hoping Farrah's illness (and now, clean bill of health) would have made Ryan take stock of his life and really love his family the way they deserve.

I was wishing for that too Idaho. It seems like trouble follows them. Very sad.

Family history: I remember when Ryan punched Griffin's front teeth out about 15 years ago---Tatum got into heroin and lost her kids to MacEnroe--and Redmond has also had some drug problems--could be genetic factors here also--but E channel did a THS on them and said Ryan was effectively a really lazy father who let his kids do whatever they wanted as teenagers,sounds like they were pretty spoiled as well as having selfish parents

Peter Hamilton said:
wow--must have been some fight since a gun was fired--we'll be hearing a lot more about this pretty soon--this is one really messed up family

yep...Ryan has a 'temper', & uses his fists??...he punched Griffin once & knocked one of his top front teeth out....it was a long time ago :confused:

I think we're supposed to say "alleged" until he's convicted.

Oneal must have never been charged, but I remember seeing pics of Farrah with some bruises and I think a busted lip.

txsvicki said:
Oneal must have never been charged, but I remember seeing pics of Farrah with some bruises and I think a busted lip.
That was from another boyfriend who did beat her, I remember that. It wasnt too long ago, maybe a few years.

TMZ has obtained the mugshot of actor Ryan O'Neal, who was arrested Saturday morning at his Malibu home. He was booked on charges of assault with a deadly weapon and negligent discharge of a firearm after a fight with his son, Griffin. O'Neal was released after posting $50,000 bail.

Police tell TMZ that O'Neal, 65, fired at least one gunshot during the scuffle.

(snip)

Sheriff's sources tell TMZ that a 22-year-old female friend of Griffin's was "inadvertently" injured at the scene and transported to a local hospital. Sources wouldn't confirm if the injury was a result of the gunshot.
http://www.tmz.com/2007/02/04/ryan-oneal-arrested/

This family is wild. I thought mine were crazy, lol....

According to Ryan's statement (on CNN's website) the girlfriend of his son was injured when son was swinging around a fireplace poker and that's when he got his gun:

<snip>
O'Neal's son Griffin, 42, who has a history of alcohol and drug problems, was visiting. O'Neal said Griffin grabbed a fireplace poker, started swinging it and grazed him four or five times.
He "aimed at my head, I ducked, he hit his own girlfriend in the head," O'Neal, 65, told the newspaper.

"I got a little nervous at that point and fled to my room ... and I got my gun," he said."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/02/05/people.oneal.ap/index.html

i read tatum's book and it said

she was left at i believe 14 to be the father and mother to griffen while her father moved in with farrah fawcett.....very very sad

kelly london said:
i read tatum's book and it said

she was left at i believe 14 to be the father and mother to griffen while her father moved in with farrah fawcett.....very very sad
I want to read that book.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back