Ted Haggard now "completely heterosexual"

Oh my gooodness. So homesexuality is a like a mental disease now and you can go to counseling and be 'cured'? Well, I should tell my niece about this and her homophobic mother will be more than willing to pay for the counseling. :doh:

curious1 said:
Oh my gooodness. So homesexuality is a like a mental disease now and you can go to counseling and be 'cured'? Well, I should tell my niece about this and her homophobic mother will be more than willing to pay for the counseling. :doh:

Actually, it was considered so until the late 1970s or early 1980s. You can still find charletans willing to provide a "cure," but most of the psychiatric profession recognizes the futility (and lack of necessity).

hoppyfrog said:
http://www.wbir.com/news/national/story.aspx?storyid=41985

"A fellow minister says the Reverend Ted Haggard has come out of intense counseling, convinced he's "completely heterosexual."

more at link

hoppyfrog..........isn't that a joke! It occured to me this morning........who cares..........except his poor wife and kids........

Yikes........what next,:confused:
xxxxxxxooo
mama
:blowkiss: :blowkiss:

hoppyfrog said:
http://www.wbir.com/news/national/story.aspx?storyid=41985

"A fellow minister says the Reverend Ted Haggard has come out of intense counseling, convinced he's "completely heterosexual."

more at link
Ummm yeah right...just 'cause he said so don't make it true....:snooty:
:laugh:

Peter Hamilton said:
Lie Detector Test time--hook 'im up!

No need for that. Just throw a few pics of Johnny Depp or Brad Pitt in front of him and watch for a.....reaction. :liar:

He and his family would be better served to just shut up and get out of town. Hasn't he humiliated all them enough already?

Nova said:
Actually, it was considered so until the late 1970s or early 1980s. You can still find charletans willing to provide a "cure," but most of the psychiatric profession recognizes the futility (and lack of necessity).
I had a friend who's parents put him into counseling in the early 80's.
Obviously it didn't work. He had his first sexual experience with someone he met in a bar and got AIDS. When he found out he was sick he was afraid to tell his parents so the disease progressed pretty rapidly and he died.
I still miss him and his parents have never forgiven themselves.

Love_Mama said:
hoppyfrog..........isn't that a joke! It occured to me this morning........who cares..........except his poor wife and kids........

Yikes........what next,:confused:
xxxxxxxooo
mama
:blowkiss: :blowkiss:
I almost expected a sub-headline under the big one to read:

"Homosexuals everywhere are safe at last"

Let me first say, that I do not consider homosexuality a disease. However, if it is behavior that you want to change, much like drug or alcohol use, why couldn't therapy help you change that behavior? A recovered drug addict may still want the drug, but realizes that it is unhealthy and chooses not to do it. Do you all not believe that there could be such a thing as a "recovered homosexual"?

I am not defending him, but do believe that he can control his actions "IF" this is what he chooses to do. Just putting it out there for opinions.......

csds703 said:
I had a friend who's parents put him into counseling in the early 80's.
Obviously it didn't work. He had his first sexual experience with someone he met in a bar and got AIDS. When he found out he was sick he was afraid to tell his parents so the disease progressed pretty rapidly and he died.
I still miss him and his parents have never forgiven themselves.

I'm so sorry, csds. Most of us have lost too many, haven't we.

spclk said:
Let me first say, that I do not consider homosexuality a disease. However, if it is behavior that you want to change, much like drug or alcohol use, why couldn't therapy help you change that behavior? A recovered drug addict may still want the drug, but realizes that it is unhealthy and chooses not to do it. Do you all not believe that there could be such a thing as a "recovered homosexual"?

I am not defending him, but do believe that he can control his actions "IF" this is what he chooses to do. Just putting it out there for opinions.......

Your question actually has an easy answer. What kind of therepy would it take to make you a "recovered heterosexual"? That's the same therepy it would take for others to become "recovered homosexuals."

Nova said:
I'm so sorry, csds. Most of us have lost too many, haven't we.
One is too many! I'm sad to say I watched three good friends go through it.

spclk said:

Sexuality is really a spectrum, not just two poles of gay and straight. So, yes, I think there are those who deny their orientation more easily than others. (Some people even claim to have no preference between genders, but I must admit that's hard for me to imagine.)

I don't think anyone changes his/her orientation after a few days of whatever program Haggard underwent, however.

But as for your drug analogy, turn it around. Would therapy make you happy in a gay relationship and train you to give up heterosexual desires? Consider not just your choice of favorite movie stars, but your husband/wife (or whatever equivalent you have) and your social identity as a heterosexual.

Difficult as it is to kick crack, it's nothing compared to rearranging a sexual orientation. Most reputable mental health professionals believe it is inhumane to even try.

Now as for abstaining from sex with men, that may well be possible, as you suggest. Whether it's healthy for a gay man to do so is another matter.

(I hope it's clear I found your question a reasonable one. I know you didn't mean to compare gays to drug addicts except in terms of giving up a behavior.)

csds703 said:
One is too many! I'm sad to say I watched three good friends go through it.

Unfortunately, we may see those days return, as the "drug cocktails" begin to fail. I pray not.

IrishMist said:
Your question actually has an easy answer. What kind of therepy would it take to make you a "recovered heterosexual"? That's the same therepy it would take for others to become "recovered homosexuals."

Could you please refrain from saying simply and clearly what I am trying to say in a long-winded fashion?

Thank you in advance. :waitasec:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back