FL - Rod Williams, 14, found dead in Miami dumpster, 2 Feb 2007

It makes me angry that his father "never bothered reporting him missing". I actually had a nightmare the other night that my 16 y/o son went missing, and a week went by before I reported him missing (for whatever stupid dream-reasons...started off to report him, then got distracted and frightened by a bridge covered with trash, that kind of thing). I woke up crying hysterically at the idea of him missing for even a MINUTE, much less a whole week....ugh.

It's a shame no one bothered to find out where he was really staying or report him missing.

I would look to the wrong crowd he was hanging out with for answers on who killed him.

This is such a sad story. At age 14, to live a lifestyle where noone realizes you are missing until your body is found in a dumpster?

May Rod Rest in Peace !

This is unbelievably sad! :(

If either of my sons (14 and 16) go to the corner shop and are gone a few minutes too long, I march off to go check on them. I just panic.

This poor child. :(

I don't suppose Rod's dad will be getting nominated for 'father of the year' award. Not very good parenting, for sure!

May Rod RIP.

This case intrigues me, but honestly I cannot start on one more. I am at my emotional and mental limit with all of these cases esp involving kids. I think the school covering up the rape of not 1, but 4 (IIRC) kids just pushed me over the edge. :furious: :furious: :furious:

What was that movie with Michael Douglas where he just gets pushed and he goes around blowing away the bad guys? I tell you some of the cases make you just want to do that.

This is down right pitiful in my opinion. First of all, if the kid had recently been arrested for marijuana, then Daddy should've been keeping much closer tabs on him (at the very least). Also stuck in my head is why on earth the father and sister had not talked the whole time he was missing. Sounds like there was absolutely no family ties within the family. So sad. And to blame the school :furious: . I guess the father thinks they're responsible for following his kid around and seeing to it that he makes it to school and questioning him when he doesn't come to school?! If that were the case people would be yelling about the government being too controlling ...Such a mess!

This case hits home to me because i have a 14 year old son. I would NEVER allow for him to not show up at home and I ALWAYS keep tabs on him. I find the old my kids get, the more challenging parenting becomes. There's too many bad people out there. How the hell could they just sit back and not care that this kid didn't show up at school since the end of January?

I agree, it's sad that a 14 yo boy had to come to an end like this, but I'll admit to being angry at his father, what kind of parent is it that has no real idea of where his child is for days? There were big warning signs when he was arrested for selling dope, that child needed parenting, not allowed to be gone for days with no one checking up on him. The school sent messages and a certified letter about his not being in school, how is it that now the family thinks the school should have done more? IMO the parent should have stepped up to the plate a long time ago and be a real parent, this is the result when that's not done.

VB

I think you have to be aware of parts of inner-city life to understand this one.

It does not at all surprise me to learn a father did not call about his missing teenage son. A lot of kids in these situations switch who they live with like the wind. This could include another parent, brothers, sisters, aunts, friends. Many have a PO. School truancy/absentee rates are very high, which is why most large school systems have an automated calling system. Parents move a lot, sometimes several times a year. Phone numbers don't work.

This is a very interesting article about third grade kids who were promised a $10,000 scholarship. All they had to do was to graduate from high school. Check out the progress (non progress, really).

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/16730345.htm

It sounds like you and I would not bring up our kids this way, but there's an entire class of people that live like this. If only my kid could have received $10,000 for just graduating...

I know a few inner-city parents that are very responsible parents. Yes, some have trouble with their teens (mostly the boys), but they still do what they can to keep track of them.

There was no excuse for this father to have not checked with his daughter to see if his son was there or not.

Not arguing with you, Trino. Just sad that this happened this way.

Notice I said PARTS of inner-city life - a sub-culture. Sure, many inner-city parents are very responsible.

However, I've known parents who believe their child is an adult by 13 or 14, capable of coming and going as they please, staying where they please, and returning home when they please - few questions asked. Some parents work late or work nights just to survive. There's no taking care of kids or worrying where they are. This is why gangs walk the streets; this is also why there are curfews.

From my experiences I'm not shocked that no one checked. And, yes, it's very, very sad. Yet, when something like this happens, when a kid is killed by police or gang activity, these are the parents who weep the loudest and refuse to believe their lack of parenting skills contributed to the problem.

America 2007 is no longer Ozzie and Harriet. In fact, many kids I know never sit down at a family dinner table.

Quintin A. Barnett

Charge 1: 2nd Degree Murder with a Deadly Weapon
Outcome: Nolle Prosequi*

Charge 2: Tampering with Physical Evidence
Sentence: 364 days (minus time served) and 4 years probation

Charge 3 & 4: Additional counts of Tampering with Physical Evidence
Outcome: Nolle Prosequi*

* Nolle Prosequi - Unwilling to Pursue
Meaning the prosecutor declined to pursue the charge.

Aspen Thermilus

Charge 1: 4 counts Tampering with Physical Evidence
Sentence: Probation

Johnny Randle

Charge 1: 3 counts Tampering with Physical Evidence
Sentence: Probation

Keon Williams

No records found. I suspect either they were dropped altogether or he was kept in the juvenile system as he was the youngest at 14.

So, you have 4 kids here who are all involved in the murder and dumping of a teenage boy and only 1 of them did a little more than a year in jail. There are no words. Why is that boy's life not worth more?

this is disgusting from his so-called father to the punks to the courts.

if that ms is of Quintin, he's now a father himself.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back