Model dies of a heart attack, 6 months after sister

T-Rex

Reaction score
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2007/02/15/070215183633.kr4onuf0.html

Both were models; both died of heart attacks within six months of each other. Neither was the one whose death started the weight controversy, though.

The article doesn't mention if they were underweight, and says at least one had an congenital heart defect. It does question whether drugs or eating disorders could have been involved.

I stumbled across an article the other day about a "new," underground diet drug, which absolutely works, without diet or exercise--and also absolutely damages your heart. Scary!

This article also says the other model who died was 5'6" and weighed 88 pounds. I didn't realize she was THAT thin. I don't think the fashion industry can be blamed for that--I don't know anyone who would even hire her at that size.

n Uruguayan fashion model died from apparent malnutrition, just six months after her model elder sister also died from a heart failure caused by malnutrition, local reports said Wednesday.
The woman, identified as Eliana Ramos, 18, was found dead in her home in Montevideo by relatives, television channel Saeta reported. Eliana , who was also known as Elle Ramos, worked for Pancho Dotto Models, a renowned modeling agency in Argentina. Preliminary examinations indicated sudden death caused by malnutrition, the report said.
Friends confirmed that Eliana has suffered for many months after her sister, 22-year-old Luisel Ramos, died of heart failure in August while performing a catwalk show at a Montevideo hotel.
Her death sparked a new debate within the modelling industry over “0-sized” models. Other deaths of models have been reported in Brazil, most recently in November.

http://www.fashionmodeldirectory.com/models/eliana_ramos

Jeana (DP) said:
n Uruguayan fashion model died from apparent malnutrition, just six months after her model elder sister also died from a heart failure caused by malnutrition, local reports said Wednesday.
The woman, identified as Eliana Ramos, 18, was found dead in her home in Montevideo by relatives, television channel Saeta reported. Eliana , who was also known as Elle Ramos, worked for Pancho Dotto Models, a renowned modeling agency in Argentina. Preliminary examinations indicated sudden death caused by malnutrition, the report said.
Friends confirmed that Eliana has suffered for many months after her sister, 22-year-old Luisel Ramos, died of heart failure in August while performing a catwalk show at a Montevideo hotel.
Her death sparked a new debate within the modelling industry over “0-sized” models. Other deaths of models have been reported in Brazil, most recently in November.

http://www.fashionmodeldirectory.com/models/eliana_ramos
This absolutely disgust me, there are so many beautiful women that are not stick looking, and whose faces look that they are ready to collapse, someone has to step in, and make sure all girls are healthy, and they should be ddrug screened before they are alllowed on the catwalk, We want real woman on the cover of magazines and the catwalk, The clothes they fashion do not fit the more natural woman, get some real woman out there.:crazy: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

In many instances,a young model is the sole support of her family. A model that is "normal" weight is not going to get jobs. Plain and simple. The industry sets their own rules and "ideal" look for models, they even "design" their clothes for a "particular size". Models are a commodity, the booze, drugs, smoking, party atmosphere is of no regard to designers who want to sell their clothes.

Scales are routine behind stage. Weigh ins are mandatory. Designers decide who models for them, who represents them going down the run way.

So until the entire "industry" changes its entire "mindset" and moves away from the fantasy portrayal of women for fashion. I don't see much changing.

3 lbs can make the difference if a model bring home a paycheque for not, and if you get further bookings, etc. For a young women who is in the industry, that 3 lbs is the minimum, she will receive more bookings if that 3lbs now is 10 and that 10 is now 20. She is now "the ideal" fantasy, to model clothes, she is very, very thin, and making lots of money, all while "dying to be thin".

No one in the industry wants to see clothes on a "normal" or curvy model, it is the fantasy, not real life.

Other professions,where your paycheque depends on your body. Actress, gymnast, swimmer, ballet dancer. Ever see a "curvy" ballet star, no they are very thin, as their profession demands it.

Unless the entire industry changes, this article does not surprise me.

You cannot even get an agent, if you are not "marketable"

A young women, stunning teenager, went to an agency for modelling. They told her to "come back" when she lost 10 lbs. Why would they rep a model who is not going to get jobs. She became very thin, and was "in demand" for modelling after her weight loss. She was rewarded for being a very thin model and died as a result.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back